Pale fast growing acro question

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a bleached frag some time ago. For the longest time it was very pale but growing extremely fast. The pic is one year of growth. As of today its just slightly more of a vibrant pastel green.
6077012afde436a7fc69e48016a59485.jpg

I broke a piece of cleaning one day and glued it to the top left of the rock and it is acting like the mother. Its nearly bone white with pastel green tips but grows very fast. To this day still no color but has doubled in size. Both of these acros have extreme PE at night. Any ideas why they act healthy but will not pick up any color? I do have low nutrients zero PO4 and NO3 but I am working on that. Right now too quickly raising Nitrates causes it to brown. I have it over Ocean Revive LED's Alk is 8.4 and calc is 430.
0779790a79672148bbc290d4073e2182.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast growing is good! Do you dose any trace elements? How often are you doing water changes and which salt?

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose BRS 2 part and have it pretty stable at 8.4 at any given point in the day. I use instant Ocean salt which mixes high so I bring the alk down closer to my target level with muriatic acid and an airstone over night in new salt mix. Right now I am doing weekly 10% changes but I am on the tail end of dosing vibrant to get rid of bubble algae. The coral was the same pre vibrant dosing so i dont think thats it. Its just always been very pale but fast growing. The frag that broke off is still literally white but has doubled in size and has PE at night.

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks back I dosed 5ppm of NO3 and the same acro started turning brown so I stopped dosing and started feeding heavier. NO3 was not going up but PO4 was creeping up. I decided to try dosing NO3 again but slower. Right now I am dosing 1.5 ppm daily and when I test the next day it is back to 0 ppm so I am going to up the dose to 2 ppm daily next week. I really need to get a better test kit. I am using API right now and its lowest reading is 5ppm. Right now I am going by the color of yellow getting just slightly darker than 0 but not Orange 5 ppm yet.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually picked up a mini frag of what looks like the same acro for $15 at my LFS about a week ago - just to see how well acros will fare in the tank. I asked him what it was he said he didn't know.

Same deal - white with green highlights/polyps. His tank has other acros that are colored so I think it may just be the type.

The thing has grown visibly within the week. If it is new it should be named white lightning.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't chase N or P unless you can confirm with an ICP test that they are truly at zero. If there is any at all, then you have a surplus and are fine. You likely have plenty or the corals would not be growing.

Most of the time, fast growing corals with so-so color is due to light spectrum issues. Add some T5s to your ORs. It could also be intensity, but only a PAR meter can help with that.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well maybe you two are sitting on a gold mine or a diamond mine. White lighting sound like a great acro name

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't chase N or P unless you can confirm with an ICP test that they are truly at zero. If there is any at all, then you have a surplus and are fine. You likely have plenty or the corals would not be growing.

Most of the time, fast growing corals with so-so color is due to light spectrum issues. Add some T5s to your ORs. It could also be intensity, but only a PAR meter can help with that.

@jda I actually am in the process of either renting or buying a PAR meter I just have not pulled the trigger yet. When you say intensity do you mean to much or not enough? I am always so worie about bleaching corals that my lights are only at 60/40. I would think adding more light would cause it to bleach more.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much usually bleaches with all light sources, but can kill with LEDs. Not enough usually means pale colors. OR is capable of some serious output... but spectrum is arguable when used alone.

Raising intensity on LEDs can be tricky since corals can get burnt tips if you do. This is not really an issue with other types of lighting, which is why adding T5s is so popular because the PAR goes up without death and the spectrum is better.

If you do rent a PAR meter, pay attention to the type/kind. Lots of them need an adjustment factor applied, but not all. Also, an Apogee will get you better results than a SenEye.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had frags like that. I ordered some Red Sea potassium, iron, iodine, and bioactive elements. All the SPS got lots of color and started growing fast. Note... I also bought Red Sea’s test kit for those things at the same time. I would suggest you test before adding anything.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a frogskin acro, just pale from nutrients maybe. Very fast grower. Frag a tip and add a second to your DT or frag rack.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back