Paly Acting Weird

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had these Palys for 3 months now, currently have 2 new polyps from the original 1. The original polyp just sunk all the way to the base and is now extending but it looks like theres a bubble forming at the tip. Has anyone seen this? It was acting weird yesterday, the polyp was extended but the tips were compressed in and it's center was extended toward the light, for lack of a better description it looked like a baby bottle. In the last month I moved it where theres more light, however the other polyps seem to be fine and it was fully extended and fine for the first 2 weeks.

OP
OP
ReeferWarrant

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image0.jpeg

Tonyreeffish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If what youre describing is what I think it is, its nothin to worry about. The polyp is opened all the way where it looks like its toooo far open right? It should go back to normal after a few hours. A pic would help a lot here.

Tonyreeffish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If what youre describing is what I think it is, its nothin to worry about. The polyp is opened all the way where it looks like its toooo far open right? It should go back to normal after a few hours. A pic would help a lot here.
And there's the pic.... Hard to tell but they look fine.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% at the cause of this, but thats not a palythoa, its more than likely zoanthus gigantus or vietnamensis.

Also from the pic, looks like it has zoa pox.

OP
OP
ReeferWarrant

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% at the cause of this, but thats not a palythoa, its more than likely zoanthus gigantus or vietnamensis.

Also from the pic, looks like it has zoa pox.

I just turkey basted the tank so if you're referring to the white specks that's sand. I have diatoms that just popped up, completely self inflicted not testing my RODI water.

OP
OP
ReeferWarrant

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took it out and dipped it in Coral RX, closer inspection it looks like shedding skin over the polyp that is suffocating it. I used a syringe to push water on it and it came off. Now seeing what else it does.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back