Paly removal fast but dangerous?

I would highly recommend not scrubbing the rock with Palys. I have ended up in urgent care twice doing the exact thing.
Yeah those things are nasty, thats why I suggested the freezer….LOL
 
I would highly recommend not scrubbing the rock with Palys. I have ended up in urgent care twice doing the exact thing.

My whole family ended up in the hospital because I brought paly frag plugs back into the house, they had been outside for over a month in the sun. The things are almost impossible to kill, even when you do old dried up paly are still dangerous enough.
 
Yeah those things are nasty, thats why I suggested the freezer….LOL
They weren't the exaxt same ones. I scrubbed the light blue colored Palythoa toxica. But, I think those brown with green centers pictured rank fairly high on the toxin scale.
 
They weren't the exaxt same ones. I scrubbed the light blue colored Palythoa toxica. But, I think those brown with green centers pictured rank fairly high on the toxin scale.

I think nuclear greens by far are the most toxic, and rid your tank of. Over a year now and I still see one pop up randomly on a rock
 
As per title. I have a piece of rock in my 13.5g evo that is plastered in palys. I want to keep the piece of rock as the last time i added a new piece it sucked all the alk out of my tank and killed most of my corals. Im thinking, get a big bucket of ro water, and extremely stiff scrubbing brush,
Don't do that, you will be aerosoling it making it more dangerous with a brush.
scrub the palys off, then add the rock to a new bucket with some salt water with a small pump and cycle it for a week in the cold, then get it to temp in fresh tank temp salt water and add back to the tank? Its my first marine tank and i was over the moon at first i could grow life but now they are wasting the small space i have. Thank you for any advice. Have looked at the aptasia x ect but concerned that it will kill what live stock i have when it circulates.
Wear PPE, gloves, mask for fine particles, long sleeves. You don't want anything getting on you or in the air you breath and just pull them off. They will squirt, be prepared. Do this outside!
 
Palytoxin is no joke -- if you insist on using the rock, then an acid wash (Muriatic, no clue of effective concentration or time needed) and neutralization would be the only way I can think of to safely neutralize the toxin. Is it worth the trouble for a small piece of fake reef rock?

If you dispose of it, then be mindful and wrap it in several layers of plastic, so as not to harm anybody else in the event that they are exposed to it in the trash disposal chain.
 
Chuck that thing back in the ocean, or a freshwater puddle, OR "Properly" and lawfully dispose of via a practice that's narrowly accepted from the live rock police. and move on.

Honestly, Don't mess with it, without proper PPE and research.

Paly aside, i'm more interested in the rock sucking out the alk? Details?
 
Last edited:
Chuck that thing back in the ocean, or a local river, and move on. Don't mess with it, without proper PPE and research.

Paly aside, i'm more interested in the rock sucking out the alk? Details?
You're kidding, right? Don't put anything from aquariums into local water bodies. This causes ecological destruction and results in laws passed that restrict the hobby.
 
Acid cleaning on live rock dont work well. All the rock will be dissipated before the pH has sunk enough to break down the Palytoxin.
But the other end of the pH scale works well.
Sodium hydroxide 10% will break down the tissue and destroy Palytoxin.
It takes a few weeks in a bucket with lid outdoors and then You have a bad smelling mess to clean.
But the stone will look good, white and clean when You are ready.
I guess you will find the sodium hydroxide at Home Depot as plumbing cleaner.
 
I have cleaned about 400 pounds of stone from Paly that way. Used salt buckets of 25 liter and filled them with stones and about 250 grams of NaOH.
(Johnson plumping cleaner)
 
Honestly just safely dispose of the rock. Go to the LFS and buy a 10lb rock out of their tank. Something submerged, in their filtered system. Should be like 7$ a pound. And ready to go in your tank.

The potential danger from those paly is high. Freezing may kill them. But the palytoxin is still present. It can become airborne. It can get on skin and then rubbed on your face, eye, nose, mouth etc. and you’ll be in a hospital.

It’s not worth the risk. Buy a piece of cycled rock from a LFS or local hobbiest.
 
This is why I've refused to put zoas and palys in my tank now. Handling them are a pain. And when I did have them I originally did not know about the toxins.
 
This is why I've refused to put zoas and palys in my tank now. Handling them are a pain. And when I did have them I originally did not know about the toxins.
I regret nothing lol. Ok. Maybe I didn’t think it would turn into this monster. And maybe I’m a little worried to even move it. At least it’s isolated. There’s a growout tile under there somewhere. These are palythoa grandis and I believe these are the most toxic. The big polyps are 1.5-2” across

That’s a two head torch on the bottom left as a size comparison
0761464B-AFCA-4641-9680-100C5F82FABF.jpeg
 
This is why I've refused to put zoas and palys in my tank now. Handling them are a pain. And when I did have them I originally did not know about the toxins.
Agreed. I will not add them either. It's just not worth all the bs that comes with it.
 
I regret nothing lol. Ok. Maybe I didn’t think it would turn into this monster. And maybe I’m a little worried to even move it. At least it’s isolated. There’s a growout tile under there somewhere. These are palythoa grandis and I believe these are the most toxic. The big polyps are 1.5-2” across

That’s a two head torch on the bottom left as a size comparison
0761464B-AFCA-4641-9680-100C5F82FABF.jpeg
I love them they are like beautiful bouquets in reefs. If I had a bigger tank and more permanent set up and my kids were older I could minimize the risks. I've only got a 25g now so my stocking options are limited anyway.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new