OP
J

JohnRougeux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrite is showing at 0 as well. Not sure what your phosphate levels are at, but it doesn't look right. Do you have any bacteria in a bottle you could add to your sump or filtration? Microbacter7 from brightwell is good stuff... Need to get the cycling going cause your parameters seem off...

I do not have anything to add. It's an AIO with the filtration on the back.

Do I follow this?
IMG_4973_heic-X2.jpg

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, bring a water sample into your fish store and compare readings... I am just not trusting what you are showing me for that new of a tank...

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That chart is correct for a baseline... May need to pick some up... Just telling you what I would do... I have been a reefer for 25 years...

OP
OP
J

JohnRougeux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That chart is correct for a baseline... May need to pick some up... Just telling you what I would do... I have been a reefer for 25 years...

I appreciate it. I'm currently working from home, so I can't leave until 430 today. 25 years? hmmm....so you are fairly new at this? :D just kidding.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a Palyathoa frag from my local fish guy to test things out before going further with coral. The first day it opened up and looked great! It is a nice green. the 2nd day it wasn't so wide open, but I could see the green and it was just curled up a little around the edges. It kept curling inward day after day until about 4 days it was closed up. Perhaps flow was an issue, so I moved it to another rock and it was lower in the tank some. Nothing. I have now moved it down to the sand level to see, but it just looks limp and dead.

I have the A1 Prime 16HD light (or whatever it's called), clowns are doing great, crabs are doing great. Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and pH all are looking good. Salinity is 1.025. I have the A1 16HD prime light.

Any idea? Should I be testing for something else?
Do you have a bubbler or skimmer running for oxygenation?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the ph below 8, not bad necessarily, but might indicate high CO2.

OP
OP
J

JohnRougeux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had water tested at lfs and they were the same as mine, except for salinity. He got 1.038! Yikes. I will check the calibration of mine and test it again.
I have brown algae growing

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small powerhead aimed towards the top. Is that not good enough?
I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong. I've always thought a bubbler or skimmer is best. Perhaps with a sump, the water falling creates enough air water interface. Maybe someone can help.
However, I wouldn't think this would bother your palys more than other livestock.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked my refractor with RO and got 1.000 (calibrated, right?)
Checked my water and it’s 1.025
You should get some refractometer calibration solution, which will calibrate to 1.0264 or 35ppt. You want to calibrate as close as possible to what you’re expected result is, as this lowers the error percentage.

Personally I calibrate with TLF Accurasea and then check it with RO to confirm that my solution isn’t off. I also calibrate every time I use my refractometer, which is every 3 days or so. Only takes a few seconds and then I don’t worry about it getting off.

OP
OP
J

JohnRougeux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong. I've always thought a bubbler or skimmer is best. Perhaps with a sump, the water falling creates enough air water interface. Maybe someone can help.
However, I wouldn't think this would bother your palys more than other livestock.

I'll check out a skimmer, thanks!

OP
OP
J

JohnRougeux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get some refractometer calibration solution, which will calibrate to 1.0264 or 35ppt. You want to calibrate as close as possible to what you’re expected result is, as this lowers the error percentage.

Personally I calibrate with TLF Accurasea and then check it with RO to confirm that my solution isn’t off. I also calibrate every time I use my refractometer, which is every 3 days or so. Only takes a few seconds and then I don’t worry about it getting off.

So checking with RO and getting 1.000 is not going to give me accurate results?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrating around your target salinity provides more confidence.
Checking with ro at 1.000 is sort of like checking your speedometer at 5mph and assuming it works at 55.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretically it would given all other variables were perfect. But in practice our refractometers are hobby grade and there is a percentage of error in them that is much easier to compensate for small amounts with calibration at/near 35ppt but RO at 0 is 35 parts away from what we are wanting in our tanks and being 2-4 ppt off can be a very large difference in a reef tank.

OP
OP
J

JohnRougeux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, took some water to a really lfs (the other one was 30 miles away) with my refractor and his read it high too...while mine read it normal. So now I know the probable cause of the coral...salinity was way too high. I have already did one water exchange and bought a digital tester. I'll return this bad one and get another one too as backup.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, took some water to a really lfs (the other one was 30 miles away) with my refractor and his read it high too...while mine read it normal. So now I know the probable cause of the coral...salinity was way too high. I have already did one water exchange and bought a digital tester. I'll return this bad one and get another one too as backup.
Good to know, but move it slow. Amazing the palys are still alive.
Maybe 0.001 per hour or longer, like acclimation. Maybe max 0.004 per day, no experience with this big a move.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back