Palytoxin research?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any research as to what zoanthids/palys do not have palytoxin?

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are supposedly some zoas/ plays without palytoxin or with very little palytoxin but without government medical laboratory testing it's impossible to know which ones they are. I asked Mr Julian Sprung himself about that and thats the basic gist of what he told me!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The palytoxin you are thinking of is more related to those in the larger play's, as opposed to zoa's. Plenty of info out there and you can even call or PM WWC for additional info.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The palytoxin you are thinking of is more related to those in the larger play's, as opposed to zoa's. Plenty of info out there and you can even call or PM WWC for additional info.
So the generic zoanthids do not have enough to cause a problem? I would just stick to the little ones?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the generic zoanthids do not have enough to cause a problem? I would just stick to the little ones?

Typically yes, but you would still want to wear gloves and eye protection and make sure you are dealing with zoa and not palys.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What soft corals are easy to keep and easily fraggable with little toxin?

Most soft corals contain some sort of toxin or irritant as far as I know, they lack sweeper tentacles and so they use chemical warfare to bother and slow down the growth of other corals but I haven't heard anything about them being medically significant (toxic enough to cause medical issues or fatalities in humans) with the exception of palytoxin. If your really anxious about toxins than I would look into some of the easier lps and sps species as they aren't known to have any toxins but their skeletons can add a level of difficulty to fragging them in comparison to softies.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back