Palytoxin?

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've considered Zoar and Plays for my nano tank for quite sometime although I'm aware of the dangers of playtoxin, how often do people get afflicted? I'm not considering propagating the corals, but I'm afraid is they get stressed out in a new set up they could release toxins into the water

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Don't overthink things because you read some scary stories...
It's very rare that anyone gets poisoned.
Most zoas are actually fine.
It's palys like nuclear greens that are the problem...
Either way, as long as you are disciplined in your methods you really have nothing to worry about

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are someone that is allergic to a lot of things then I wouldn't worry about it. I've had my hands swell a little when I'm cutting mine but I have very dry skin and always have cracked skin so it gets in the wounds. I just take a benadyrl and I'm fine. Just doing normal maintenance to your tank shouldn't be any issues. Fragging is when things can go wrong such as getting it in your eyes. Keep it out of your eyes and mouth and you should be ok.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful when handling/ touching zoas. Wear gloves when handling them, and use eye protection if you take them out of the water. I've touched palys and zoas barehanded but dont take the risk as a cut from the rock could allow the toxin to enter.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably need to respect the danger more but I've never had an issue with normal tank maintenance or even fragging them a few times. That's with the grandis.

Make sure you wear safety glasses and preferably probably gloves but especially the safety glasses whenever you are fragging corals.
a3652543e7a2ee41634056aef66d6ede.jpg

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to be worried. I read that a study showed that true zoanthids have almost no palytoxin in them. And, most "palythoa" are actually zoanthus gigantus, which (if following the same logic) would have very little palytoxin either. The only ones you have to worry about are Palythoa Toxica and Palythoa Grandis, and even then, just wear eye protection and gloves when handling them.

Back