Palytoxin Thread Apology.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
t’s not common though I realize everyone will have a friend of a friend now.
That's pretty sarcastic.

I'm not the only person on this forum who is friends with this person in real life.

OP
OP
HolySmoke

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did they differentiate marinum infections from specific palytoxin in your friend Zalick / bacterial vs an assigned compound yet to be mentioned in an autopsy

it’s amazing how certain we are, its case closed, we just don’t require any blood tests or screenings or chromatographs or assays or genetic proofs. Case closed it is then. I’ve never had one friend that exhibited a zoonotic infection from a fish tank. It’s not common though I realize everyone will have a friend of a friend now.

we will now discount reef owners who got the legit flu and were cured with flu medicine, they owned a reef it was palytoxin.
Brandon I gotta say all of your posts make me stop, think, and question how sure I am of palytoxin. There are trillions of types of bacteria and they are way more of an unknown than palytoxin so this definitely cannot be ruled out. Bacteria rules the world no doubt. I think the biggest take away though and what I have been saying for the beginning Is we can't guarantee anything. which paly it was if it was any paly at all.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad Holy Smoke is on the mend

from what you’re describing it sounds like
You definitely had some sort of reaction to the aquarium. Wether or not it was paly toxin will be difficult to determine.

last week I cleaned a tank on Monday morning at 5am, big service, had to remove a ton of mulm n sponge from the sump, like a ton!! This tank also had a colony of ugly green paly/zoa polyps which I agitated.

fast forward 3 hrs... I stop home, feel tired so I lie down. All the sudden my stomach drops out so I run to the bathroom, sit down, feelight headed... wake up to my my wife knocking on the door asking if I’m ok?? I’m trying to figure out why im looking at the floor tile so close, I passed out.

she comes in n freaks because I look like death, drink a little water, crawl to my bed and didn’t leave for 2 days

couldn’t eat, couldn’t sleep, didn’t want to move

felt it in my muscles, kidneys, rapid breathing, elevated pulse, metallic taste

I was down n out and I get exposed a lot

I was more Freaked thinking I brought covid into my house but it was most likely from the bacteria in the sump

I was in there heavy with cuts on my hands siphoning, cleaning...

point being there are a multitude of things that can mess you up in the reef

Last edited:

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
44FA9ACB-AA6F-4F1A-834B-3CA15173A725.jpeg

These ugly babies always seem To give me a run

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those are z sociatus not palys?

you are joking about blinding, right? from a discosoma?

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question

in a hobby thats forty or so years old, why did all this begin about five years ago

how did we go so long with not one person at the local fish store mentioning issues with toxins

twenty years daily at the lfs, handing out crates of brown palythoids and not one customer feedback ever, not a single one, multiple cities

are any blood tests being used to prove paly toxin occurred, such as gas chromatography or are they using contextual diagnosis. I’m legit curious to know these details

I guess one possible answer could be today’s sourcing of reef materials brings in orders more palytoxin than in the past, that could explain something not occurring for forty years and then occurring in 2015 onward

the sand rinse thread is fifty pages of takedown cleaning, no issues, is there a risk in that action based on these new trends?
The palys have been evolving over the past few decades to fight humans and thwart collection efforts. Eventually the toxin will be so strong they will be able to kill divers in the ocean before they can collect them.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guarantee you they’ll be outlawed not too long. Unable to own in fifteen states wow

am now guilty of hanging around a hot topic my innards told me to withdraw from, it’s the blinding by soft coral that hooked me what in the world did the eye dr. say? He would want to cite that/ write about it most assuredly in some journal one would hope

these docs just handle extremely rare zoonotic outlier events as yet another day at the office

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do we know we are not changing coral in our tanks to be more toxic? We are feeding a lot, providing a lot light, clean systems, control fighting with other predators, remove pests, etc. All the beautiful colors we are developing could also be toxicity...

On the topic of Dinos being excreted by coral - that part I am not buying. So many fish-only systems have them.

OP
OP
HolySmoke

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol @Mellotang your case sounds more cut and dry like palytoxin than mine. neither one of us had metallic taste btw.

@brandon429 should I send out a sample to bionic or whatever his name is to run a bacteria test? will it shed any light?

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope You understand Holy Smoke I was not trying to discount your experience and it does in fact like You had some sort of response to the aquarium

It also just seems there is an overwhelming sense of paranoia and panic on the forums

it can be anything from the TM pro shortage to the newest LED being hard to get or whatever BRS said last week

lots of hysteria

let’s relax and enjoy the hobby

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;) for The record

I try to steer clear of mushroom Juice at all times now!

OP
OP
HolySmoke

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope You understand Holy Smoke I was not trying to discount your experience and it does in fact like You had some sort of response to the aquarium

It also just seems there is an overwhelming sense of paranoia and panic on the forums

it can be anything from the TM pro shortage to the newest LED being hard to get or whatever BRS said last week

lots of hysteria

let’s relax and enjoy the hobby

This was funny thanks for the laugh and I know you meant absolutely no harm and were actually trying to help by saying don't worry you will be fine but regardless of the unknown cause palytoxin or not it was real and scary. My lungs still are jacked up.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess if there aren’t any blood tests avail for it the contextual clues are the best we have to go on. clearly it was serious no doubt I just wasn’t sure if they had tests for the toxin yet, they will pretty soon if not currently ill bet
Palytoxin though discovered in the 1970s has poisoned people for a long time prior (Google the Hana 'taboo island' in Hawaii). Case reports of poisonings from aquariums have occurred since at least 2008 (and before). The reason it 'seems' to be more common now than in prior years (IMHO) is that there didn't use to be reef forums like this one. There was not an internet search available, more people are keeping corals now than 30 years ago - and more people are traveling to the tropics, IMHO. My guess is the main reason we hear about it is more people are keeping zoas.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guarantee you they’ll be outlawed not too long. Unable to own in fifteen states wow

am now guilty of hanging around a hot topic my innards told me to withdraw from, it’s the blinding by soft coral that hooked me what in the world did the eye dr. say? He would want to cite that/ write about it most assuredly in some journal one would hope

these docs just handle extremely rare zoonotic outlier events as yet another day at the office

went to ER on a Friday n the doc was like oh it’s pink eye don’t worry

if it’s not better by Monday follow up with ophthalmologist

he gave me some Numbing drops which I was grateful for because prior to that I was ready to remove my eyeball by hand. I can’t even describe the pain, it was next level

next day I could only see white out of that eye, thought maybe it was healing

Monday morning I went to ophthalmologist, he didnt know what was up but saw an infection in my cornea. I was on steroid drops for 24hrs a day, every half hour. It was rough but they stopped the infection.

when they scraped my cornea it came back as MRSA

there was a lot going on in my life at that time
I was a sanitation worker
I was young n naive
But I clearly remember getting shot in the eye with juice on Friday cleaning a tank then everything spiraled

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was funny thanks for the laugh and I know you meant absolutely no harm and were actually trying to help by saying don't worry you will be fine but regardless of the unknown cause palytoxin or not it was real and scary. My lungs still are jacked up.

hydrate as much as you can n get fresh

drink Water by the gallon

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back