SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still high, NO3 fluctuating between 10 to 20 ppm and PO4 around 0.3 so the biopellets are a must now.
The Nitrate isn’t to bad, but I would do something about the phosphate level which is high if it’s 0.3. A good target is 0.03ppm so very low.

If you do add something (like GFO) just take it slowly as the corals may have adapted to the higher levels.

I’m actually at a similar place with nitrates, I’m trying to keep them from going higher so will be interested to see how you get on with those Bio pellets and the NYOS Torq when you get it set up (yes you need it don’t you! Lol)

But the tank and that video look great so it’s working whatever your doing!

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nitrate isn’t to bad, but I would do something about the phosphate level which is high if it’s 0.3. A good target is 0.03ppm so very low.

If you do add something (like GFO) just take it slowly as the corals may have adapted to the higher levels.

I’m actually at a similar place with nitrates, I’m trying to keep them from going higher so will be interested to see how you get on with those Bio pellets and the NYOS Torq when you get it set up (yes you need it don’t you! Lol)

But the tank and that video look great so it’s working whatever your doing!

I cannot lie I want it!... and it arrives on Thursday!!!

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want this thing!
1e479ca49a1f280a5faaacda376831f4.jpg
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/r...MI86-Y3oOy4wIVh5-fCh3USAKkEAQYASABEgLNzfD_BwE

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a few reviews before on it, it uses existing test kits but I’m not sure to be honest.

It looks like the setting up and maintenance might take longer than just doing the tests manually. I’m still set on Trident to be honest.

But anyway, I think you should do a review for us Pancho and see what you think!! Lol

What reviews have you seen? The ones I have checked seem very positive about it APEX Trident will not test NO3 and PO4. It makes me wonder what to buy if a I should buy the Apex Controller or this device first.

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What reviews have you seen? The ones I have checked seem very positive about it APEX Trident will not test NO3 and PO4. It makes me wonder what to buy if a I should buy the Apex Controller or this device first.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one on another forum, it was a positive review so nothing bad and the guy I think liked gadgets. I’ve pm’d you the link.

I just remember thinking it looked like a lot of faffing around and programming, but sometimes I like simple things.

@GoVols mentioning that calcium reactor made my head hurt!

Anyway you need to buy it and give us a frank honest review! Lol

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PanchoG

Man,
Your reef really is really looking super nice in your video.

Great job so so happy for you!!

:)

--------------------------------------------------

Holding tight to the alkatronic over here, but I do run a cal reactor.

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PanchoG

Man,
Your reef really is really looking super nice in your video.

Great job so so happy for you!!

:)

--------------------------------------------------

Holding tight to the alkatronic over here, but I do run a cal reactor.

Thanks Freddie!, I am still battling nitrates but no adverse effects in the reef, only algae in the glass.

I am starting to save for my next gadget, it will be a controller or tester... I think lol

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Freddie!, I am still battling nitrates but no adverse effects in the reef, only algae in the glass.

I am starting to save for my next gadget, it will be a controller or tester... I think lol

Pancho,
I love my Alka-T, but please pick the one that best fits your needs and lifestyle.

Good luck and can't wait to see how you go.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update after 9 months: lost two naso and some chromis, gained in a tang and foxface, montiporas, torch, seritipods, frogspawn and zoas, hammer, acans,
ea2ba8e1dcd49c0b0b07b9eb1dde0f65.jpg
06e0ba50cca0284558d77e51b3749382.jpg
4eb7220267db9b06443ba70e0d4803ad.jpg
12582a7557da40afe975df5268c35ae3.jpg
10ec1b4e112d45d437deb0c11c8796b8.jpg
oadded.
ba078fa76849e6b20ca94b0b6731d21a.jpg
979a2f00eb122524a8024b79246ef70a.jpg

Starting from scratch. All those corals are showing incredible growth in all directions here. Awesome.

Dont mind me. Might spam ur thread with reactions while catching up ;)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I had issues with algae growing fast in the glass, I switched from the standard activated carbon to Seachem carbon the results are awesome! In 3 days the algae has not appear. I hope to have a nutrients reading done by tomorrow but I am already loving it.

Which did you use?
Phosbond, phosguard, or Phosnet?
2 are gfo I believe.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the new light settings per BRS investigation..... :)

I hope to enhance coral growth and further coloration. I will have a 7 weeks ramp up to avoid bleaching.
c0e80b4ddfb16db6cdb56bbed3779e82.jpg

The previous settings were:
a978fbc8a169ee4090b70aa8a3f83da7.jpg
OG. Ha!

I run a modified brs AB+ on my hydra26hd's. I am praying for HALF the growth u showed in the progressing after new year. Well done up to this point.

5 pages to go ;)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.

That sentosa is something to behold! It's like, you just let it go and it did its thing. Suttle changes here and there and that was it. Your sand is also the cleanest I've ever seen. Excellent job employing the k.i.s.s. technique, and the success you have had shows.

As far as the nutrients and test results in the tank, if you dont have a huge issue with algae, cyano, etc, then if it's not broke why fix it?

Like it was said before... the corals seems to be thriving, and it's likely they are acclimated to those conditions and doing great!

Just my 2cents. Your reef is lovely, and congrats on the reeftank365. Very much deserved. I'll be here for the ride as you travel the world and let ur reef do its thing! !

Cheers,
Rich

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which did you use?
Phosbond, phosguard, or Phosnet?
2 are gfo I believe.

Hello Rich,

Thank you for stopping by! I am currently using Carbon Matrix and could not be happier. I am not using a reactor for it but it is working really nice.

Niiiice move!

Thank you!

OG. Ha!

I run a modified brs AB+ on my hydra26hd's. I am praying for HALF the growth u showed in the progressing after new year. Well done up to this point.

5 pages to go ;)

Thanks a lot, I am pumping the light up and corals are picking growth and color but at the same time I am encouraging algae growth in the glass :confused:

Wow.

That sentosa is something to behold! It's like, you just let it go and it did its thing. Suttle changes here and there and that was it. Your sand is also the cleanest I've ever seen. Excellent job employing the k.i.s.s. technique, and the success you have had shows.

As far as the nutrients and test results in the tank, if you dont have a huge issue with algae, cyano, etc, then if it's not broke why fix it?

Like it was said before... the corals seems to be thriving, and it's likely they are acclimated to those conditions and doing great!

Just my 2cents. Your reef is lovely, and congrats on the reeftank365. Very much deserved. I'll be here for the ride as you travel the world and let ur reef do its thing! !

Cheers,
Rich

Thank you Rich, I really love my Setosa, it started in my nano about 3 years ago and then exploded!

Thank you for the advise, I think you are completely right, I am trying to reduce my levels to help my acros, as they are barely growing and also to help with the algae growth in the glass, I would like to avoid the daily cleaning or reduce it. [emoji13]

Last edited:
OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Japan again so I went dinner with my boss and another colleague, we had a great dinner in a Korean BBQ place in Tokyo, there was light rain while we ate. When we came out we headed to the train station and my stupid brain decided to step in one of the tiles designed to help blind people to find direction, the thing was flat and very slippery. My left leg when to an extend I didn’t know it can do and the rest of my body experimented Earth’s gravity. I came back to my room to cry and laugh (what else can you do after that).

The tank did not missed action as I got informed we have an ants infestation around the tank so I ordered to cover the tank and spray venom, it is not a pleasant experience to know somebody will spray a thing you it can nuke your tank while you are more than 10,000 km away. Fortunately the tank and I are ok after our near dead experiences.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Rich,

Thank you for stopping by! I am currently using Carbon Matrix and could not be happier. I am not using a reactor for it but it is working really nice.

Thank you!

Thanks a lot, I am pumping the light up and corals are picking growth and color but at the same time I am encouraging algae growth in the glass :confused:

Thank you Rich, I really love my Setosa, it started in my nano about 3 years ago and then exploded!

Thank you for the advise, I think you are completely right, I am trying to reduce my levels to help my acros, as they are barely growing and also to help with the algae growth in the glass, I would like to avoid the daily cleaning or reduce it. [emoji13]

I want sushi from japan. FedEx overnight.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Japan again so I went dinner with my boss and another colleague, we had a great dinner in a Korean BBQ place in Tokyo, there was light rain while we ate. When we came out we headed to the train station and my stupid brain decided to step in one of the tiles designed to help blind people to find direction, the thing was flat and very slippery. My left leg when to an extend I didn’t know it can do and the rest of my body experimented Earth’s gravity. I came back to my room to cry and laugh (what else can you do after that).

The tank did not missed action as I got informed we have an ants infestation around the tank so I ordered to cover the tank and spray venom, it is not a pleasant experience to know somebody will spray a thing you it can nuke your tank while you are more than 10,000 km away. Fortunately the tank and I are ok after our near dead experiences.

Insane. Never thought I'd hear about ants infesting and disrupting a reef system.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back