Panic's 360g SPS Peninsula

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doug's frags are no joke. i picked up like 20+ frags from him a month ago cause his frags are so ridiculous. it was actually a ***** trying to acclimate, dip, and track all 20 frags. It's a great first world problem to have

LowDime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I only grabbed a couple as i dont normally have good luck with them so i got some good hardy ones to try my hand

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for a great thread, enjoying following along!

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of the frags I’ve picked up lately on the sale forum from the site here, other collectors online, Battlecorals, BkChem, TSA, RMF. I think about half of these will get places in the display.

Just got an update from my Planet rep that my tank will be at least 2 weeks behind schedule. Today was the projected finish day. :(

46118E10-DDA0-455F-9E5C-05C69B6EC418.jpeg

F923499B-FF6A-43E2-93DA-9AE12FCB1255.jpeg

D2886BE7-C5D2-4C94-BAF2-B013D1811AAA.jpeg

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet! more frags to buy lol

It’s gonna be a while - at least a year or 2 before any of these get a trim. I think that the pieces that do best for me as far as health and growth are the ones that I get from mature colonies vs ones that are barely frags to begin with. Also I’ve found that the further the generation from being wild increases the probability of success. I have a few BkChem pieces that were all wild within a year of getting to my tank, and definitely frags off of the original that came from the ocean, so generation 1. I lost 50% of these while having a less than 5% loss of all other new sps frags.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got an update from my Planet rep that my tank will be at least 2 weeks behind schedule. Today was the projected finish day. :(

Did Planet send you the update, or your LFS? They are also building my new tank, so I wonder if I'll see a delay as well. When did you place the order for yours?

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did Planet send you the update, or your LFS? They are also building my new tank, so I wonder if I'll see a delay as well. When did you place the order for yours?
My local reef shop that ordered it for me told me that his other custom tanks are 2 weeks delayed when I asked for an update yesterday. It has been 4 weeks since he gave me the confirmation that the tank was "officially" ordered from Planet, and I was told that the build time would be 4 weeks. I ordered it through the reef shop in the beginning of December and either Planet wasn't understanding what I wanted or my detailed list of requirements weren't being passed along completely. It took them 2 months of 2 week delays in responding to corrections. I pray that the tank arrives the way I ordered it - I'm skeptical unfortunately.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, my order was placed on 14 Jan, so I'm coming up on 6 weeks. I was told 4-6 weeks, so I'm still on track I guess. I just sent and email to my LFS for an update.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local reef shop that ordered it for me told me that his other custom tanks are 2 weeks delayed when I asked for an update yesterday. It has been 4 weeks since he gave me the confirmation that the tank was "officially" ordered from Planet, and I was told that the build time would be 4 weeks. I ordered it through the reef shop in the beginning of December and either Planet wasn't understanding what I wanted or my detailed list of requirements weren't being passed along completely. It took them 2 months of 2 week delays in responding to corrections. I pray that the tank arrives the way I ordered it - I'm skeptical unfortunately.

You can also talk to a Planet rep if you really want too. I ended up doing this when I was getting quotes for my tank. I hated having a middle man, slowed the process and had more room for error in communications. Let me know I can give you the rep contact. Planet has reps for instances where there isn't a LFS vendor close to you.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also talk to a Planet rep if you really want too. I ended up doing this when I was getting quotes for my tank. I hated having a middle man, slowed the process and had more room for error in communications. Let me know I can give you the rep contact. Planet has reps for instances where there isn't a LFS vendor close to you.

Thanks. I'm not crazy about the middle man either, but it is nice to save on the shipping by having it go through them. They also gave me a decent discount on the listed price of my tank. I'll wait and see what they get back to me with before contacting Planet directly.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice frags acquisition!
Yeah, custom anything is plagued with delays. My Miracles didn't show up until 3 months later but that was in the middle of the lockdown.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work! I am finding that a lot of us reefers like the same stuff. My wife wants me to wains coat the dinning room. Lol. Your remodel looks great. I’m following so I can see this beast of a tank filled.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice frags acquisition!
Yeah, custom anything is plagued with delays. My Miracles didn't show up until 3 months later but that was in the middle of the lockdown.

Truth! My ELOS 200XL took 10 months

Keep us updated @panic, enjoying this build!

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up my stand from powdercoating yesterday and the color is a perfect match to the trim. There are some imperfections where the electrode was touching the metal so there is a few spots there that is bare metal. It's about the most obvious place that it could be and I'm fixating on it. Half of me knows I should take it back and have him redo it, but the guy is so dang nice I just can't do it. The other half of me doesn't want to move it out of the house and back in again. I'll just sand that part down and paint over it with the trim paint and hope it doesn't rust. There are a few more places but they won't be visible. I'm pretty happy with it overall and the reef is the focus anyways.

It was dark once I got all the adjustable feet screwed in, but here she is! And my youngest shepherd the photobomber. Oh, looks like my new windows will be another 12-14 weeks... barf

F468C7A5-FA59-4061-B794-F0F0961DA2FC.jpeg

7825C69F-F363-4156-A617-D194A38410E5.jpeg

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice build, looking forward to seeing the tank in place. I was thinking about welding my own stand for my 315, but I have never welded before and the wife and I didn't think that was a good idea. You seem to have a practiced hand.

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice build, looking forward to seeing the tank in place. I was thinking about welding my own stand for my 315, but I have never welded before and the wife and I didn't think that was a good idea. You seem to have a practiced hand.

I used to be pretty good at welding but haven’t done hardly any over the last 15 years. I had a friend weld it up for me because he used to do it for a living and I don’t have a level garage and was confident he could make it square. All I did on this stand was acquire the material and weld the nuts in the bottom and plugs for the ends.

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update. I attached a piece of 3/4” Baltic Birch ply for the top with a few globs of PL so it doesn’t move when we are sliding the tank on to the stand. I’ll glue a sheet of foam on top of the ply once it cures. Still awaiting a tank.

I found 2 Copperband Butterflies at the local shop, the one that I put in the frag tank disappeared after 2 days. This one in the 270 is happy.

E273DF9F-E5AC-4F3C-8C7E-F7E67FA760D5.jpeg

F5C7E0EA-0B81-445C-8CAA-F149020E93DC.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back