PAR charts and more PAR charts for the Kessil AP700 LED! | BRStv Investigates

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, as a non owner, I've always had the impression this light was somewhat stillborn.
It just had a rocky start because it was drastically different then what they were doing and they tried to do to much and didn't spend enough time on Developing it before they put it out to the public. I want to see more from kessil like this so I'm willing to support it.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the par readings are misleading as it doesn’t tell the whole story. Even with the major diffusion lenses, which BRS found to not actually diffuse the light, I still get crazy shadowing.

I really liked the light but without T5 the bottom half of all your sps stops growing and the polyps recede. The point source light isn’t like metal halide, which was also covered in the same BRS video as the major diffusion lenses. With MH, due to the reflector the light leaves the reflector traveling at all different angles. Light leaves the bulb from 360 degrees as well. This alleviates shadowing.

With any of the kessils the light leaves only down, I’ll give the benefit of 180 degrees but originating from two small points it is impossible by the laws of physics to not have shadowing. I agree with Ryan that the new hybrid is the best of both worlds, Kessil shimmer and T5 in one fixture.

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the par readings are misleading as it doesn’t tell the whole story. Even with the major diffusion lenses, which BRS found to not actually diffuse the light, I still get crazy shadowing.

I really liked the light but without T5 the bottom half of all your sps stops growing and the polyps recede. The point source light isn’t like metal halide, which was also covered in the same BRS video as the major diffusion lenses. With MH, due to the reflector the light leaves the reflector traveling at all different angles. Light leaves the bulb from 360 degrees as well. This alleviates shadowing.

With any of the kessils the light leaves only down, I’ll give the benefit of 180 degrees but originating from two small points it is impossible by the laws of physics to not have shadowing. I agree with Ryan that the new hybrid is the best of both worlds, Kessil shimmer and T5 in one fixture.
I could understand that, SPS does cuase shadowing with all point Source lighting unless you plaster multiple fixtures on the tank.

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2 ap700’s on my 150gal. 60in. tank and shadowing is minimal. I guess anything can be nit picked, but overall this light is as good as anything on the market.
Deffinantly I think it's better then some. I think the looks, shimmer, and color blending is better the most on the market but needs some polish to be the best.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you polish? I will be talking to the company next work and can tell them your concerns. That’s how products get improved

Mine occasionally turns off for a second then comes back on.

When I add the “cloud effect” on a program I’m unable to delete it and when the “cloud effect” happens my light switches to a bland white color for the duration of the effect.

Adding better screws to where the mounting bracket attaches to the mounted extending arm. They stripped way to easy.

Maybe making a mounting bracket for two Kessil ap700? I’m wanting to get another

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you polish? I will be talking to the company next work and can tell them your concerns. That’s how products get improved
The app needs some work And the fact when you have a power outage it resets your settings Is a tad bit annoying

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "ramping" needs work, instead of a gradual change from one setting to the next it is an abrupt change. IE: if 10am is blue2 at 10% and 11am is blue 4 at 40%, 10:30 is not blue 3 at 25%. Instead it runs blue2 at 10% until the stroke of 11am when it abruptly changes to blue 4 at 40%. More pucks or some additional light sources would be welcomed. Many people running kessils on a four foot tank utilize three or four lights. Even though the AP700 is more powerful than the 360 it's still two pucks. The width doesn't make running two lights on a four foot tank that practical. Perhaps if the pucks could be moved within the fixture; IE slid left or right it would solve some of these issues. Cooler still would be a motor that brought the pucks from left to right over the course of the day.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "ramping" needs work, instead of a gradual change from one setting to the next it is an abrupt change. IE: if 10am is blue2 at 10% and 11am is blue 4 at 40%, 10:30 is not blue 3 at 25%. Instead it runs blue2 at 10% until the stroke of 11am when it abruptly changes to blue 4 at 40%. More pucks or some additional light sources would be welcomed. Many people running kessils on a four foot tank utilize three or four lights. Even though the AP700 is more powerful than the 360 it's still two pucks. The width doesn't make running two lights on a four foot tank that practical. Perhaps if the pucks could be moved within the fixture; IE slid left or right it would solve some of these issues. Cooler still would be a motor that brought the pucks from left to right over the course of the day.

Mine gradually changes in color and intensity.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine gradually changes in color and intensity.

Interesting, when I sold mine a few months ago it was running the latest firmware. It may have gradually changed but the abrupt shifts were enough to grab my attention from across the room a few times a day.

Back