PAR charts and more PAR charts for the Kessil AP700 LED! | BRStv Investigates

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's nice that you think that I'm gonna go ahead and stop the convo you do not have the information to understand the difficulties of coding for this product to get it to work with the apex they are not going for basic functionality or people like you would have a fit like you are right now about the current app. But I'm done with the argument

You mad, bro?

You know what, I see the light now, you're so right. Let me go out right now and buy that light. ................NOT

Okay, I don't have the information. What is it, then? Please explain it to "people like me" (who are obviously not as smart as you are) because I might "have a fit".

This is a forum. Made for posting, and opinions will vary. If I say something and don't agree with you, really.... why do you care enough to take it upon yourself to quote me and reply to me? (but what? us lesser folk should know our place and not dare reply to more intelligent people like you, right?)

Is there a reason why you're taking it upon yourself to try to get the last word in defending Kessil?

That's okay defend Kessil if you want - at this point it's really obvious because you also seem to be upset or something? I don't have a problem with you wanting to defend Kessil but at least don't try to deny the truth.
So can you answer my question also?

If you like your light, man go ahead and enjoy the hell out of it. More power to you. Why should it bother you if I say I wouldn't buy it as it is? I just don't get that.
And as far as me saying controller integration is something I expect on a fixture of this level, (which started this whole banter) you even said the same thing earlier:
I also think Apex controllability is a must And also having a standalone controller that properly functions with the light is Important
So I don't see your point?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last software update was like 10 months ago, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah well that blows my fault for not looking in to it owell its dumb you cant control it with the control they sell for the other lights makes no sense tbh

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've given thought to try and get something out of Franco @ Kessil/DiCon, since he seemed to be the lead for the beta releases that abruptly stopped after the 3.4 retail push.

Obviously if the software was a hit they would be rolling it out to other form factors for expanded control, but it's quite obvious that hasn't been the case. I contrast it with an indy guy like the Bluefish controller that is still pushing releases and improvements, has a number of third parties using the controller, and on the other side is basically a weekend at Bernies corpse trotted out in marketing material to cover the fact they can't seem to expand upon the most basic of functionality. I'm sure this is just an off the shelf IC at the helm that was outsourced for the software development, ROI must not be there for them to care about improving it further unless sales are affected.

And it's still broken with iOS11.
Since I'm an Android user, does the app not function at all with the latest iOS update?

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it crashes if you attempt to save a backup to Google, if I recall. It losses everything when it crashes so I am reluctant to revisit the issue.
I've had a lot of correspondence with Franco with the issues I've had with the app, not related to iOS11. Just happened that iOS11 came out while I was debugging the network issues with Franco. The network issues were not resolved on Kessils end and still exist.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any power outage and mine resets to factory, and frankly the re-pairing process sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It's not adjusting DST changes either, but at this point I'm just leaving it on default. I still remember Kier saying that Apex support is next on the list after the android app was released, then poof, it was dropped off any mention by cs or marketing and he was gone. I would hope that they would have realised that there is a required maintenance figure to enable continuing app support like this, or were over-sold on just how easy it would be to sub out. Wouldn't be the first time someone played loose with figures to get something approved, happens all the time in my job sector.

The more I think about it, maybe it's time to decide that I either get rid of the fixture, or start pushing up the food chain to get some answers as to what is going on with the future of its connectivity. I know that one name touted in a few places is David Lowry, the Kessil brand manager at DiCon and the hobbyist who's steered them to where they are in the marine industry.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this helps or not but there is a thread here on R2R where there is a DIY controller build on-going.
I can't speak for the guy but Ranjib may be helpful in solving some issues or they might already be solved in his thread. I followed the thread when it was first posted, until the 60th page or so (I just saw it's on 200 now). They were able to connect and have basic control for several types of Chinese black boxes as well as other types of fixtures. Maybe speaking to him and asking him about your issues might help?
I would definitely take a look if I were you guys. Godspeed.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the lights 2+ years and been very happy with them. I have not had any of the problems others are mentioning here and maybe that is because I use my light for growing corals. Once it’s set up and running which only
Takes a few minutes I’m done. Light does the job, very well and looks awesome! If a disco light is your thing then go for it, or maybe a giant pyramid whole house heater. I see some folks who would like some improvements to the light/app, but there seem to some that just want to poke holes or take shots of a piece of equipment. Conciderng that the AP700 blows away other LEDs, I guess it’s fare to let them focuse on issues that the majority of users haven’t even noticed to steer conversation away from how ****** an AP700 make your tank look, feel, and grow awesome corals.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with BIF, light works only complaint is I no a reset so infrequently I stumble thru it a nd swear a bit

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so glad I stumbled on this thread. I was about to get 2 of these fixtures (in Europe where prices are much much higher) and what I found here made me stop.

I live in a place where I have frequent power interruptions and I find it hard to believe that this fixture loses the programming in these situations.

Being completely dependent on an app to control the fixture is also too risky, given the constant change in ios and android environments.

They have a unique product and that's a problem because they can afford to get by with a beta product and leave it at that. The only comparable fixture I know of is a chinese knock off that is almost impossible to find (from Kelo).

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fixtures don't lose the programming but they do lose their time base. Most times simply opening the app will sync them up, sometimes it take some effort.
I have not attempted verify if the programming is off by the amount of time the lights were without power but power interruptions definitely affect the time base of the fixtures.
The fixtures have not been updated since Jan 2017. The issue I have with the WiFi password remains; not an issue if you use qwerty or admin as your password.
The issue with iOS 11 was fixed in Feb. 2018. The iOS 11 update was during Sept. 2017. The Kessil app was broken for 5 months.
I am skeptical that a knock-off has the equivalent quality of the Kessil hardware.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to the issues other users are having. I've never had a problem with the light losing programming or timing after a power outage. Power comes back on and the light goes back to what it was doing. I've personally never had to mess with it.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I've been having lately is that it still turns on or off for a second at random times. Which is not really an issue, just a weird occurrance.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I've been having lately is that it still turns on or off for a second at random times. Which is not really an issue, just a weird occurrance.

That is an issue and not acceptable; have you contacted Kessil?

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an issue and not acceptable; have you contacted Kessil?
Yes they replaced it under warranty and the new unit still does it. It was supposed to be fixed with a firmware update (I think 3.4) and the unit that they sent me already had that firmware version but it still happens.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they replaced it under warranty and the new unit still does it. It was supposed to be fixed with a firmware update (I think 3.4) and the unit that they sent me already had that firmware version but it still happens.

Mine does it too. It definitely is strange.

Back