Par from T5 vs par from led

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by Eric23, Feb 8, 2018.

1. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

It’s actually not exuses. It discussion. It is in fact, theses discussions that make change.
    You may have noticed , they are now making t5 led hybreds.
    That came from right here with hobbiests.
    You may have noticed they are now making leds with diffusions. It’s impossible to rember how many diffusion threads I’ve been in over the last three years.
    This is how progress is made in fact.

Novelist is making excuses. There are none. Led grow coral when it’s done correctly. We can suppose and keep referring to uv and far red as a superstitious cling to old tech when the biology still doesn’t support it.
    None that I have seen, I should say.

And past red is heat. And if you look at a red led I have with a $3 spectrometer , it’s not just 660.
    In fact led builder guys get all bent that the spectrum of the colors get to broad. (Lol right?) they call it “dirty”, and start saying binning and cree and have a bunch of other justifications.
    IMO , the reason a mars or no name B.B. work so well is becuse the thing is a dirty spectral mess with too much blue and maybe too much green. Depending on the day it was built of course. They run out of stuff.

As much as I have a life long passion for arc lamps , after I went 14mh (600paris at the top of a 20 in) then the radium, I went to an SB black box (was sad I couldn’t do the heat here) same basic par, in two weeks my acros sprouted and went nuts. I don’t know why. But that’s why I’m here looking to find out.

crabs_mcjones, DSC reef and Eric23 like this.

2. jda

jda Valuable Member

This is where the premise of the pseudo science in marine lighting is bad. In every other realm, what happens in nature is the standard and you have to prove why stuff is not needed. In reefing, the opposite is true where folks assume that what happens in nature with evolution and adaptability is wrong and that we have to prove why specimens that have survived to use every ounce of energy available have it wrong. You are smart enough to know that UV and IR are helpful to coral - you don't need any studies for this.

3. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Care to expand on this?

4. oreo5457

oreo5457 Active Member

speaking of pseudo-science..

You know Corals have adapted to UV/ IR...but it's not because of the "good things" in it.

Even the "good" effects of UV A is to repair/protect from other UV damage.

A lot of what we do is to take the "bad" out of nature and add more "good"...
    Depending on source, many coral generations never seen the sun..........

Damage
    Yea I know terrestrial data...

Nature rarely supplies the ideal environment.. just ones that are handle-able..

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  5. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Point out the pseudo science please.

And yes corals like to be warm.

crabs_mcjones likes this.
  6. mcarroll

mcarroll Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Model Nature
    You're right about modeling after nature.

And I've even seen folks here on R2R cite some banal philosophical argument against modeling after nature – so it's a point that bears repeating: Nature is correct – but we may not understand why. ;)

What is "correct" in nature isn't always obvious, and to complicate things, correct is usually even situational.

A big part of the problem for us is that Normal ≠ Correct.

That means it can take a lot of understanding and a lot of observation for us to glean "correct".

Smart Enough
    All things considered, even "smart enough" has a moving definition.

For example...

I'm pretty sure we're all smart enough to know that Symbiodinium dino's are symbiotic with corals. Right?

But right in the middle of being "smart enough" about it, you can stumble upon...

Is the coral-algae symbiosis really ‘mutually beneficial’ for the partners?

Wait, what? ;Facepalm

There are too many examples like this to cite.

Corals did not adapt to use every iota of energy available.

They adapted to get what they need while protecting themselves from the rest.

And their abilities for self-protection are amazing, but not unlimited.

The in situ light microenvironment of corals is a good read.

Dana has writing on the topic that's more digestible though...read everything you can find by him on irradiance, pigments, emission spectra, etc. :)

Caveat Emptor (as usual)
    In many areas of the hobby, info and data on the nature of things are just lacking, even to the scientific community.
    (For an example, try to find some research on any of the blue damsels we keep in the hobby.)

In many areas, info in the hobby on the nature of things is pure bunk-o.

In many areas, the info we have is just the tip of the iceberg.

So at least IMO understanding is possible, but there are some fairly serious gotchas to look out for on your way there. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted