PAR meter results

AquaAmator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rented a PAR meter from BRS and did some measurements today. It looks like my pair of Radion xr30W lights are enough for my 120 gallon, but the A80 is only generating 60 par at the bottom of my 10 gal tank at maximum intensity. That is disappointing and does not sound like it is going to encourage much growth. What does the hive mind at R2R suggest to improve my lighting without breaking the bank? Would a second A80 ($129) on a second gooseneck ($25) get me a better result, or is it just more low-intensity light that will not increase PAR? Or should I go up to the A160WE ($229) and matching gooseneck ($35). I use an APEX and I see that light comes ready for it. Or I guess I could also look at AI Prime ($209) and gooseneck ($26). I have an old AI Hydra twenty six, but I could not find a mounting option I liked on the Waterbox 10g. The AIR gooseneck was super tall. If anyone has suggestions there, I'll take those too.

OP
OP
A

AquaAmator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does all your corals do right now even though your par is low going by the rentals results
It is a young tank. I moved rock and sand from an all-in-one that I never really loved. I have a few frags sitting at the bottom I bought two weeks ago. They seem OK, but I am worried that nothing will grow. I had rented the PAR meter wanting to make sure I wasn't going to burn anything at the higher levels of my rock formation, but that is obviously not going to be a problem with the current setup.

OP
OP
A

AquaAmator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rented a PAR meter from BRS and did some measurements today. It looks like my pair of Radion xr30W lights are enough for my 120 gallon, but the A80 is only generating 60 par at the bottom of my 10 gal tank at maximum intensity. That is disappointing and does not sound like it is going to encourage much growth. What does the hive mind at R2R suggest to improve my lighting without breaking the bank? Would a second A80 ($129) on a second gooseneck ($25) get me a better result, or is it just more low-intensity light that will not increase PAR? Or should I go up to the A160WE ($229) and matching gooseneck ($35). I use an APEX and I see that light comes ready for it. Or I guess I could also look at AI Prime ($209) and gooseneck ($26). I have an old AI Hydra twenty six, but I could not find a mounting option I liked on the Waterbox 10g. The AIR gooseneck was super tall. If anyone has suggestions there, I'll take those too.
To anyone watching, I decided to buy the AI Hydra 26 fixed tank stand. When I put those lights over the tank I got acceptable PAR readings. I'll post how this works out on my waterbox build thread

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back