PAR range for SPS under LED

Montrosereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone has information about the proper PAR range for SPS under LED lights? I use panorama Pro. Thanks!

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very broad question. The types of LEDs used makes a huge difference (along with optics). On my LED light, my range for SPS corals goes from 100-400 PAR (where as my light can put out over 1600 PAR at the top of the rockwork if I turn it up all the way, but I never do unless I want to nuke my corals in a day). When I ran MH the range would be 250-1000 PAR. The more royal blue spectrum that is in the fixture, the lower the PAR number you want to use for corals, ie, an all white LED light could put out 1000 PAR and still not equal an LED light that puts out 400 PAR and consists of 2:1 blue:white combo. One of the reasons for this is the PAR meters can not accurately measure the blue spectrum, the other reason is the blue spectrum is the "golden" spectrum as far as proper lighting for photosynthesis, so you don't need much blue PAR (according to a PAR meter) to be able to get great growth.

The Panorama Pro comes in different options for LEDs so PAR ranges would differ depending on which ones you are using.

OP
OP
M

Montrosereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Guess a PAR meter won't give me much help. I have 8 led pro modules (4 blue/white combos and 4 blue modules) over a 60G tank. The tank is 25 inch tall. I dont know if I have enought light or too much.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting topic as I am considering leds. Will follow along

uriah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just look at how the coral responds. It is nice to know what the par rating is, but if you look at your tank it will tell you what is right and wrong... Tests are important (primarily when something goes wrong), but looking at the tank is usually your best determination of condition.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of LEDs not putting high par out with a lot of blues. Had mine tested and numbers were bouncing like crazy and it was real tough to get an accurate reading. The guy that ran the meter and I averaged it out and got 118 on sand, 180 half way, and about 260 just under surface. Low numbers right well I can tell you I agree with above because in spite of low numbers I have amazing growth and color!

Mike D "like the beastie boys" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back