Paranoid Setup for Leak monitoring

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup my first tank with a sump. It was my first time plumbing, etc and I'm super scared that something is going to fail or falter. so what is the right way to use an apex to monitor for leaks, potential overflows etc. I really have no idea where to start other than with the FMM with some leak detection sensors and the optical sensors, but I don't know what water levels to monitor, how or why.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune has had the ALD module for years now and is a viable option.

On the (intentionally) wet side of things, you could use float switches to control topoff, and have alarms sound if it runs for too long (suggesting water leak or more likely and empty fresh water reservoir) or high water level (which would suggest that the return pump was off).

There are also non-reef water/moisture sensors that are intended for basements where water intrusion is possible. These can be repurposed to alert us so long as we are home.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If worried about "leaks" I wouldn't worry so much about monitoring water levels, I would want to know about the first traces of water in my stand or on my floor. I would use the ALD (Advanced Leak Detector) instead of the FMM, which will accept the leak sensors, but is more for monitoring flow - unless you plan on incorporating some flow sensors in your plumbing. The ALD sells for $74.95 and the FMM sells for $99.95, so there is a small savings there.

You can connect up to six sensors to the ALD. Neptune sells "Solid Surface Sensors" to set on the bottom of the stand or on the floor next to your tank, external skimmer, calcium reactor, etc. They also make the "Low Profile Sensor" that will fit under the edge of carpeting.

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own with the Reefkeeper years ago. You can use the switch options to monitor for resistance. Similar to how the cheap water alarms work - basically uses the water to complete the wire to activate an audible alarm. At the time I had the RKE to shut down the main pump if this occurred.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending upon your setup, use the ALD and have sensors in the stands on the floor, and even one on the drain pipe (attached with a zip tie). If you do one on the pipe, put a paper towel or a really thin sponge on it to avoid false alarms.

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after reading the responses it seems I want to make sure the sump doesn't get too high and overflow. I want to make sure it doesn't get too low and dry out. and I want to spread around leak detectors to make sure nothing comes out of where it shouldn't. Around the sump and near the stand. Anything else?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a basement sump, and it's an unfinished basement, so I really don't care how wet the floor gets. Heck, the water just runs across the floor whenever it rains hard. I use high and low level floats in my return section to trigger my ATO. The low level runs it and the high level is an emergency shutoff. I have it set to notify me if one of those switches stays triggered for too long.

If I wanted to prevent water damage in my living space, I would waterproof the inside of my stand somehow. I've read of people using different types of liners to do this, but haven't done so myself. I would then hook up an ALD module and a sensor or two to let me know if water was escaping my system somehow. I would also have my ATO and return pumps shut down, and remember to set up an alert for such an issue. I prefer texts because I'm more likely to hear them than an email, which I have set to push every hour to my phone.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of using Neptune's Break Out Box, I would suggest you look at the Avast Marine Break Out Box. The Neptune box has a single ground for all posts, which means you may end up trying to wrap up to six wires around a very tiny screw for the ground. The Avast box has a separate ground quick disconnect for each wire. Makes life a little simpler. These are made to work with the APEX.

Avast Breakout Box.jpg

Or, if you want to do a simple DIY project, there are plans out there to build one like this that will use single plugs for each switch you have attached to the box. If I can do it, it isn't that difficult. :)

Here are the plans for this box: http://glassreef.com/proj_breakout_box.php

photo_zps9cb7b276.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%

Back