Patches of fish

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a new job with a lot of overtime so I've barely had time to be around my tank (my wife has been handling feeding).

It's my first day off and during feeding, I noticed these patchy areas on my firefish and tailspot blenny. The only other fish in there are my clowns, which don't have anything on them. Wanted to ask what this was and what I should do

20231029_085648.jpg 20231029_085655.jpg 20231029_085704.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a new job with a lot of overtime so I've barely had time to be around my tank (my wife has been handling feeding).

It's my first day off and during feeding, I noticed these patchy areas on my firefish and tailspot blenny. The only other fish in there are my clowns, which don't have anything on them. Wanted to ask what this was and what I should do

20231029_085648.jpg 20231029_085655.jpg 20231029_085704.jpg

Those are too localized to be any of the parasitic infections.

They look like minor skin damage to me. Clownfish could be the culprits - they can be aggressive, and they are also "smart" in that they will behave fine when you are in the room watching them.

As long as you don't see any additional symptoms (rapid breathing, lethargy, not eating, the spots growing larger) I would just watch them for now. Dislodged scales can take up to a month to heal though.

Jay

OP
OP
A

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are too localized to be any of the parasitic infections.

They look like minor skin damage to me. Clownfish could be the culprits - they can be aggressive, and they are also "smart" in that they will behave fine when you are in the room watching them.

As long as you don't see any additional symptoms (rapid breathing, lethargy, not eating, the spots growing larger) I would just watch them for now. Dislodged scales can take up to a month to heal though.

Jay
Thank you. I was concerned it was a disease. Although, this is poses a new problem now if the clowns are being aggressive. Especially since I now have very little time to monitor the tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back