Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

JTreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! My swalesi basslet was one of my favorite fish. Very personable once he settled in. Begged whenever I came up to the tank. Hope yours does well

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still happy with your powerheads? I'm starting my 40 breeder build and have plans on using these powerheads, this return pump, and these leds. How does this look? Your tank is absolutely the best looking tank I've seen in quite some time by the way!

IMG_2974.PNG

IMG_2975.PNG

IMG_2977.PNG

Go with the pp-8 power heads. The 15s are big.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still happy with your powerheads? I'm starting my 40 breeder build and have plans on using these powerheads, this return pump, and these leds. How does this look? Your tank is absolutely the best looking tank I've seen in quite some time by the way!

IMG_2974.PNG

IMG_2975.PNG

IMG_2977.PNG

I have the same items almost
PP-8
Dct-12000
2 Galaxy hydro lights

Been extremely happy so far.

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I didn't just hijack your thread. Your tank makes you "da man" to ask questions!
No problem! I'm happy so far with my jebao's. I have the DCT-4000 return pump and 2 of the RW-8's. None of these are at full power and I have no issues with getting flow. They are more quiet than my old mag-drive and hydor's, plus they are controllable. As far as those lights go, I know someone who had grown plenty of beautiful coral under those mars aqua fixtures. They actually make a longer one that would fit pretty well over a 40 breeder. I think it was 300w.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always liked your tank. One of the best 40 breeder I follow. What's your secret to growing zoas? For the life of me, I can't get couple of my single polyps to grow at all. Mind sharing your placement? High flow, high light?

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always liked your tank. One of the best 40 breeder I follow. What's your secret to growing zoas? For the life of me, I can't get couple of my single polyps to grow at all. Mind sharing your placement? High flow, high light?
Thanks! Time and stability. Mine are in mid lighting and flow. It took me a little while for my Zoas to get where they are and I've lost several along the way. There really isn't a secret!

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video update. Unfortunately I was not able to get any footage of the swales basslet.

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was able to get some video of the Swale's basslet today. I think he is finally starting to get comfortable. He came out during feeding earlier and snatched a piece of food real quick. Here he is hanging out in his caves.

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was able to get some video of the Swale's basslet today. I think he is finally starting to get comfortable. He came out during feeding earlier and snatched a piece of food real quick. Here he is hanging out in his caves.

Looks awesome, Paul!

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Haven't heard from you in a while. How's the tank?
Yes, I've been away for a while but am back for good now. The tanks are all doing okay. Water quality is great in all of them, but they don't look super great...with this 180g I'll have some proper equipment and can really start to get things to look nice! Thanks for asking!
Thank you! There's still a little rock showing that I need to take care of. :)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love, love, love how brilliant and balanced this tank is ...

Nothing out of proportion, no oversized colonies, clams or corals - a delicate and vibrant otherworldly garden.

_So_ glad I stopped in here tonight . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love, love, love how brilliant and balanced this tank is ...

Nothing out of proportion, no oversized colonies, clams or corals - a delicate and vibrant otherworldly garden.

_So_ glad I stopped in here tonight . . .

~Bruce
Thanks so much for the kind words! I've put quite a bit of work into it all and its comments like this that gives us a sense of pride in our accomplishments (tanks... lol).

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got rid of my monti lantana, green hammer, and a couple small orange psammacora frags today for some credit. Ended up picking up two acro "brownies" that I've been watching the past couple weeks. I've noticed some of the colors starting to appear on these and figured I'd snag them up before they get pretty and the price quadruples.

This one came in completely white. For the most part from what I can tell it looks like it will be green with blue growth tips. This is the one I've been keeping my eyes on the most in anticipation. Looking forward to these guys coloring up.

pzVZyfD.jpg

4OAdcUo.jpg

cS8sFfx.jpg

This mille came in looking semi ok. It has some reds and greens starting to come out. This is actually my first millepora.

clkcnAd.jpg

Uo4gama.jpg

nTK8yO6.jpg

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mounted the new Acros today along with moving a couple around and removing the M. hirusta (I think). I will probably do away with that piece. It frags itself every time I look at it. It has been replaced by my Scripps acro that was in the back of the tank. I got rid of the M. lantata and moved the bonsiai acro to that loacation. The Millie got put in front of it. The other new acro got placed near where the bonsai was. I think with a litttle growth takes place, the acro placement will mix well. I seem to be slowly ditching all my monti's for acro's except for the monti cap's.

Here is the new milli. I was able to clip it off of the rock it came on as it didn't have hardly any encrusting. It's placement will also slightly shade the acan's below which I think may getting a little more light than they prefer.
g1u4jIo.jpg

The other new acro. Not a clue as to what this one is exactly. They are both wild colonies. This one remained on the rock it came and it worked out pretty good in placement. I had to clip some free xenia off of the side of this rock and remove it.
lhblWgX.jpg

The purple bonsai's new location. It's relatively close to the big bad torch next door, but I think it will be within safe proximity for some time.
bQNZUxe.jpg

This is the Scripp's acro that was in the back of the tank, not very visable. It's new placement is where the M. hursuta was before, surrounded by zoas. We'll see how this plays out. It's never been a big encruster so I think it will be alright.
DkIfeaI.jpg

Last edited:

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, Paul. That video was truly spectacular. I'm sooooo impressed. And I am in love with your Leopard Wrasse. :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back