Paying it forward. What a great thing to do!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sent out a box to a reefer that had a tank crash, wanted to post him up here but he said he is embarrassed. I did ask for permission to post the pics of the corals he got this morning from me though, hopefully things went well I haven't heard from him yet!

Great job Acro very nice of you to help.

We help out each other. We find people that are in need or we want to help out etc. similar to what Pete said. Most of us PIF by helping with advice and some help with sharing our corals.

We also don't like people scamming us so that isn't going to happen. If you have a legitimate tank crash, disaster, or need, we will help out. I like helping people that have made some effort with there tank and can show some kind of survivability with corals. Not that I don't want to help beginners out but I think those type of people will need equipment help in the form of PIF and sharing knowledge to lead to stability. Than of course helping with starter corals is likely.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 well said Joe :)

Also, I have in the past seen people ask for help due to a crash, helped them, then come to find out they had like 3 or 4 other tanks surviving fine. These people could help themselves and the corals could have gone to a person who really needed them. Then when asked if they would help out that other person they're like "I paid good money for my corals...." really? It happens and we learn to not jump and commit to helping someone before being able to check it all out first. Personally I don't mind helping some new to the hobby people. Provided they are on the right track and show they really care for their tanks. Some starter corals like leathers, zoas, mushrooms, frogspawn and monticap are good for them to learn with :)

Spartan02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure how I came across this forum but im glad I did. I am a huge believer in paying it forward and good karma will come your way. I had a small salt water tank freshman year in the dorms at Michigan State and LOVED IT. I became obsessed with the hobby. after having my tank up for about 8 months I had to take it down to travel home. Given the lack of experience everything failed.

3 years later here I am and I just moved to Dallas TX in May. My parents helped me with a little bit of the start up costs and I sold some old equipment for a few starter corals and fish. I really do love the hobby but corals are just soooo expensive! My tank has been set up for about 3 months now and everything is going good. A worker at the LFS has gone out of his way to help me with any questions I have about algae and general new to the hobby questions. Unfortunately, he is about to quit and get out of the hobby. Will anyone be my coach and give me their email if I have any questions. I am trying to learn so much but its easier when you know someone who has gone through it already and can kind of "break it down" for ya. If anyone has any starter frags for my 38gal tank I would Love that (I am willing to pay if its reasonable too). I really am obsessed with this hobby and would love to start establishing corals in my tank so I can pay it forward as well. I know what its like to not have the kind of money to spend on some of these corals.

Hope to hear from someone soon. My email is [email protected]

Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update, my buddy was so happy with what I sent him that he ended up giving some of his pieces from his tank to another person. I think we are starting a good chain reaction!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ +1!

I thought of another PIF.... mainly because it struck home and due to comments on the subject on forums and blogs.

People buy harlequin shrimp and file fish to rid asterina stars then run out of food and wind up having to buy starfish to feed them or they starve and die. What if we pay these harlequins forward? I certainly could use one and would love to pay him forward rather than dipping all my rock and losing the good with the bad.

What does everyone think of this? Pros and cons?

Jackie

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie I have Berghia for those aptasia they have been laying eggs. When they start lay some more spirals of eggs I will send you some.

Thanks Joe :D I would love some. I have that pest and the stars (these are not tge nice ones either) and I really don't want either in the 180 but I do want all my pods and such. I'd hate to have to kill off all the good. I will surely pay then forward!

hectorevalero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to a book club sharing we do for our kids

We can pay it forward by applying these same rules below. #PAYITFORWARD

You have to get 6 people on board first to start the chain. Then those 6 need to get 6 people to share separately. Eventually, everyone will get 36 corals by sharing 1 CORAL!!!

Please send 1 book to the child listed on line #1 below. Then, move my child’s name to the #1 spot and list your child's name at #2 and forward to 6 friends who want to participate. If you can’t complete this in a week, let me know, as it isn’t fair to the children who have participated and are waiting for their books to arrive. Soon your child will receive 36 books! Pretty awesome to receive 36 books and only give 1 away!
Be sure to include your child’s name and address (and age). Seldom does anyone drop out because as you know, children love to get mail. You should receive your books in about 2 weeks if you get your letter out right away. If you can’t send a book, let me know!

1. The First person you should gift
2. Then this should be your information

Remember to send a book to the child in the #1 spot, then move my child to the #1 spot and add your child’s name to the #2 spot and forward to six friends.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You realize the shipping for books would be wayyyy cheaper than corals right?

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know you can PIF equipment too. And shipping can be cheap for that. Things like reactors, skimmers, pumps of any type. You know when you upgrade something and its just sitting there because you are reef hoarding equipment. Maybe I will start another tank some day! USPS has priority flat rate shipping you can put 50lbs in a large flate rate box for $12.00 shipped.

You can also send books no longer using too.

So don't think you just have to send coral to PIF.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Joe, that's a good point! Do you happen to know the measurements of that box?

That would mean I could maybe PIF some of my DIY rock ;)

Last edited:

Samantha's

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a great idea!! I've had my tank up for two years and am now starting to get corals. I hope one day I will be able to pif but it will be awhile since it is so expensive. I'm glad there are so many great people on here!!

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know you can PIF equipment too. And shipping can be cheap for that. Things like reactors, skimmers, pumps of any type. You know when you upgrade something and its just sitting there because you are reef hoarding equipment. Maybe I will start another tank some day! USPS has priority flat rate shipping you can put 50lbs in a large flate rate box for $12.00 shipped.

You can also send books no longer using too.

So don't think you just have to send coral to PIF.

I could use a reactor or two ;)

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately most reactors are inexpensive except for calcium or stirring types. You can get a phosban 150 reactor at amazon for $23

I know I could use an Ato and kalk stirrer.

abirozy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while since I posted to this thread as I have been a little out of touch, but I think I may actually have a few things to PIF shortly. I may only have a 28 gallon tank, but I do have a few frags that have taken off like you would not believe.

If there is anyone who is local to Southern California, I have a Vargus Cespitularia from ORA that I think I am about to frag. It is a beautiful coral and is growing like a weed. I am pretty inexperienced at shipping however, so would prefer someone local, but would not be opposed to trying a shipping.

I am going to attempt to frag my Vargus in a week and then give it a few weeks to heal.

Thanks

Adam

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back