PBT Aggression Help

aLu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had two cardinals, two clowns, and a powder brown tang for a few months. We wanted to add some more fish and decided to add a sailfin, Midas, and a 6 line. After quarantine we added them all to the tank and the PBT took off on a frenzy mostly towards the sailfin but also the Midas as well. He probably would have gone after the 6 line but he darted into some rock work. I removed the PBT and put him into my quarantine as I didn’t know what to do. Any advice on what direction I need to go in? I thought if I removed him for a few weeks then it wouldn’t be his territory anymore and maybe it would be better. Or am I just being silly and the PBT just isn’t going to do well with new additions?

OP
OP
A

aLu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might also add that I have never had two tangs together before and over reacted but he really tore up the sailfin with in the first 10 mins.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PBT are notoriously mean, it may not work, but if its possible to recatch it I would try to reintroduce it in a couple of days

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you have the qt going constantly I would wait for the saiilfin to get a bit bigger before reintroduction

OP
OP
A

aLu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t catch the sailfin but the PBT instead. Since he wasn’t only going after the sailfin I figured I should remove him since catching one fish was easier then three.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had two cardinals, two clowns, and a powder brown tang for a few months. We wanted to add some more fish and decided to add a sailfin, Midas, and a 6 line. After quarantine we added them all to the tank and the PBT took off on a frenzy mostly towards the sailfin but also the Midas as well. He probably would have gone after the 6 line but he darted into some rock work. I removed the PBT and put him into my quarantine as I didn’t know what to do. Any advice on what direction I need to go in? I thought if I removed him for a few weeks then it wouldn’t be his territory anymore and maybe it would be better. Or am I just being silly and the PBT just isn’t going to do well with new additions?
What size is the tank? (Dimensions are better than volume).

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real estate is everything when mixing tangs. Know your tank size helps. With that being said:

The aggressor is the one you want to remove, so good call there.

I just had this happen with my Achilles. He’s 3.5”. Been a model citizen. Added 1 new fish and he turned into a total ******.
I put him in jail for 2 days, let the new girl get settled. Bam. Everyone’s back to normal the next morning. Only difference is I left him in an acrylic trap in the tank so they’d get used to seeing one another.

Give it a week and reintroduce. If it continues make a decision on who goes.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've introduced multiple tangs I to my 260g. The last one I added was a powder blue tang. I put him in an acclimation box for 3 days. Only my yellow tang would try attack him through the box. Once I let him out, I put up a 4ft mirror along the front of the tank and a few smaller ones on the side. The tangs were too busy attacking their own reflections to notice the powder blue was out of the box. After a week, I took the mirrors down and everything was fine. To this day, my yellow tang will occasionally chase the powder blue, but nothing serious.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back