Pbt Coral Eater

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My PBT is eating and picking on my ducans. They are never open anymore and I have seen him picking them. He is also knocking them around. Also the very ips of my green nepthia and green kenya are being picked on.

ARGGGG! I want to get him out, but it will be a chore....alas......

sdietz2469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
use a fish trap.... they work good, i used it to get 3 chromis and a flame angel out of my 120.... it takes patience, and a few days, but they work...
shane

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sucks, if he's nipping this soon he'll likely never stop. maybe setup an lps tank.

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That suck Dave!! Sorry to hear. You know I think Bryan's tang was nipping at one point. I agree he will probably not stop now. think he has a fish trap as well! Get him out quick!

Sorry again dude!

patedship

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah after reading this I am a little nervous, I just picked up a Powder Brown Tang yesterday. But all in all I have heard from a lot of people that the Brown is a much better fish to keep, as it is not as aggressive as the Blue and they tend not to bother corals. I hope this stands true, I would hate to get rid of this guy. He truely is one of the most beautiful fish I have seen.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah after reading this I am a little nervous, I just picked up a Powder Brown Tang yesterday. But all in all I have heard from a lot of people that the Brown is a much better fish to keep, as it is not as aggressive as the Blue and they tend not to bother corals. I hope this stands true, I would hate to get rid of this guy. He truely is one of the most beautiful fish I have seen.

if acanthurus japonicus you should be fine, mine has been a model citizen.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like he is picking on an aussie acan. One that I have had for about a year..

I'll get him out soon. :)

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev I have an Achilles tang that nips at my Duncan. My duncan has never closed from it so I'm guessing he's going after the mouth of the duncan. I would see if you can get him out ... He'll just develope a habbit and keep nipping LPS.

If you wanna keep him just try feeding the same amount of food that you feed now but over 2 or 3 feeds per day. This will keep the fish's belly fuller over the day's span and hopefully he'll stop looking to LPS for food.

Good luck either way.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks bro. I have been feeding heavily and I leave grazing foods on a clip as well. He's really to big for the 120g anyway.

Anybody want a big PBT cheap? :D

(he has showed signs of ich as well but is a fat healthy bugger)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok caught him out of the tank in about 30 min and traded him for a very young Powder Blue. My big one went into a 280g so I am happy. :D

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No the Achilles passed. I will not be trying another unless I see it eat for a few weeks at a lfs. If anyone runs into one that is let me know please.

UPDATE! Noticed tonight a few acans were retracted tight and one had little pieces taken out of it. Watched and caught my salfin tearing them up! He's out tomorrow and I will be tang less......BUMMER!

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had to ditch my yellow last week and i have had the same problems with tangs in the past...it sucks because i like tangs alot..i also kept mine well fed there was always nori there for it and it ate a ton...i know what you are going through..hope you can find a fish you like that won't nip at anything

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back