OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets assume that there is no CI in the display tank (for sure).
Lets assume you treat with copper for 14 days at the correct level.
What is the reason you dont just put the fish in the display tank immediately?

Aren't the answers - 1. some people treat with another medication after copper. 2. 2 week observation after copper is because 2 weeks sometimes fails? There are articles suggesting that CI requires AT LEAST 2 weeks of copper. The protocol being used here is not standard - has failed once already with velvet (a higher level of copper is used now).

The point is not to criticize the protocol - the point is - I think @RtomKinMad asked a valid question. We cant be sure that a the person with the CI in the tank treated 'to short a time' for whatever strain of CI was in their tank. I think there is a lot we dont know about these parasites.

I cannot safely apply many meds in the DT. If some other symptom appears, I want to be able to have all treatment options available without having to destroy the rockwork again catching everyone. I absolutely, 100% want to do everything that I can to ensure that I am not introducing another problem into my DT or I may have to go fallow AGAIN... I'd far rather ride this out in a decent size QT until I am 100% positive

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cannot safely apply many meds in the DT. If some other symptom appears, I want to be able to have all treatment options available without having to destroy the rockwork again catching everyone. I absolutely, 100% want to do everything that I can to ensure that I am not introducing another problem into my DT or I may have to go fallow AGAIN... I'd far rather ride this out in a decent size QT until I am 100% positive

right - Like I said a minute ago - (sorry) that was a hypothetical - ie. the reason you put fish into another tank after copper is to be sure there is no disease - and - no more CI. How is the fish?

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right - Like I said a minute ago - (sorry) that was a hypothetical - ie. the reason you put fish into another tank after copper is to be sure there is no disease - and - no more CI. How is the fish?

The PBT and PT are back to mostly back to normal. High energy with occasional flashing from PBT. Not sure if it is stress or continued disease.... Still ZERO visible signs. Methyl Blue is in his future. Clowns, Melanurus, and Anthia are all good. All have good color, energy, and are eating well.

The Sad... The Chevron didn't make it. He had NO visible indications other than HLLE that it and PT develop in the QT and even that was super moderate. He had been eating really well. I can only guess that it was either the low pH or he was stressed when the PBT and PT felt better and made a show of who was going to be dominant once the PBT felt better. That's a stretch, as there were zero tears to finnage or marks on the body.

Water tests came back clean, with ammonia=0, nitrate slightly elevated = 20ppm, pH 7.7, SG=1.009.

Really, terribly disappointing. I have also noticed that the Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse is hiding a LOT more than usual, so I did a 5 gallon water change and will slowly begin raising SG.

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you lost the chevron. It’s so har FYI loose fish when we try so hard. Hope the rest are ok.
Appreciate it. Yes, it is really tough. He was a really cool fish with great personality.

It's interesting how the dynamic between the PBT and PT has changed, though. The cruise together now, where before there was a constant very low grade turf war. They are just in there with PVC, but each of them had their own large fitting to hide/hang out in. Perhaps there were 2 males and a female and now competition is gone. Who knows...

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The forum is being wonky, I can't see a couple pages' worth of posts, so I don't know if it's been mentioned already... You could try Methylene Blue baths as well. If they're flashing, they could be scratching themselves up, and that would help a lot, plus there's a chance that it may knock out the underlying issue as well.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it. Yes, it is really tough. He was a really cool fish with great personality.

It's interesting how the dynamic between the PBT and PT has changed, though. The cruise together now, where before there was a constant very low grade turf war. They are just in there with PVC, but each of them had their own large fitting to hide/hang out in. Perhaps there were 2 males and a female and now competition is gone. Who knows...
Sorry about the chevron but PT and PBT being good together is cool! I hope it continues when they go into DT again! Tangs are funny that way can be good when you find the balance or bad. I hope all works out for you

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to be careful with anthias and wrasse in hyposalinity.. ive had 6 anthias all die from hyposalinity they will get dropsy from water retainment and die... look up online other ppl have the same issue.

Certain species cant handle hypo.. butterflies.. flame angels.. anthias. Wrasse.

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to be careful with anthias and wrasse in hyposalinity.. ive had 6 anthias all die from hyposalinity they will get dropsy from water retainment and die... look up online other ppl have the same issue.

Certain species cant handle hypo.. butterflies.. flame angels.. anthias. Wrasse.
Thanks for the heads up! I did search here but apparently missed it. Am ramping it up slowly now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back