PBT swimming out of ordinary...

Techie_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I cleaned my sump out, lots of cyano and hair algae, and the back wall (and is quite reflective) of my tank off (and a 15g ish water change of my 90g system. I also mounted a frogspawn frag on a rock with some cyanoacrylate based super glue as to not harm the fish... My PBT has been in my tank for a couple months now with no issues, eating nori, flakes, mysis, you name it. But today I went to replace the nori sheets and feed frozen I noticed he was doing some things outside of his normal behavior. It is also important to note I jostled some of my rock work and had to rebuild, PBT remained in his "house" for the duration of the changes. Today he has been swimming at a quick, consistent pace, but it appears he is swimming the same path over and over again. He has stopped to nibble on some nori and ate like normal.

I'm just a little worried about his health, or if he's adjusting to the new arrangement of things...

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be just a reaction to change as you suggested. Check your chemistry and make sure you did not stir something up.

Even a little stress for a Power Blue Tang can cause them to become symptomatic with marine ich so be on the watch.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine for 17 years and it would flip out, swimming back and forth or fighting its reflection, with anything changed.... as long its still eating normally I wouldn't worry.....as mentioned they stress out easily which will effect their immune system and makes them prone to ich etc...if they aren't in good health initially.
BTW...its spent over ten years in a 90 gal...before my upgrade

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine for 17 years and it would flip out, swimming back and forth or fighting its reflection, with anything changed.... as long its still eating normally I wouldn't worry.....as mentioned they stress out easily which will effect their immune system and makes them prone to ich etc...if they aren't in good health initially.
BTW...its spent over ten years in a 90 gal...before my upgrade

Wow 17 years that's great going :) he must have got quite tame towards you?

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...and it would probably have lived longer if I didn't have to remove it for a time out with newbies. It never re-acclimated with the last removal. Although I use acclimation boxes this guy was still very territorial and wasn't tame at all. Although I can hand feed some fish it wouldn't.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only grew to about 6-7" and probably was a male. I've read that males are smaller than females. A pic is my avatar.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back