PC rainbow placement.

FN-5280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this pc rainbow in my tank for quite some time and it has finally started to grow. It is happy and growing but I can’t get it to show all of the usual pc rainbow colors. It is at the top of my scape directly under my XR30 gen 3 pro. Any recommendations for pulling all the colors out of it? Thanks in advance.
IMG_0124.JPG

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it grow where it is at, the colors usually will change as light intensity increases. If you move it higher in the tank, you may lose that deep red coloration and the whole colony will turn yellow and green.

Grsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a frag of it and it is mid range under leds. It has a lighter pink and green and yellowish color as well. From what I’ve read higher up you get more of your color and mid to lower you get more variety in color...

OP
OP
FN-5280

FN-5280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is as high as it can be in the tank. Don't have the option to place it lower unless I want to put it on one of my frag racks.

OP
OP
FN-5280

FN-5280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it grow where it is at, the colors usually will change as light intensity increases. If you move it higher in the tank, you may lose that deep red coloration and the whole colony will turn yellow and green.
It is as high as it can be in the tank. I am unable to move it down unless I want to put it on one of my frag racks which isn't an issue if it will show the PC rainbow colors haha.

I have a frag of it and it is mid range under leds. It has a lighter pink and green and yellowish color as well. From what I’ve read higher up you get more of your color and mid to lower you get more variety in color...
I may have to try lowering it to see if that theory is correct. I think it has a lot to do with the tank chemistry as well.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is no easy coral to get to color up. Some very good hobbyists struggle with it. IMO, the only true common denominator with good color is a decent sized colony... even then, you might not get color like you want.

The best looking one that I have ever seen is about 8" under the water under a 400w 14k halide at about 800 PAR. It has textbook color. I have one under a 250W Radium at about 750 PAR, but it is still only about 2" and not all that colorful yet.

I would not chase getting color out of a Vivid Rainbow nor a PC Rainbow... both can be finicky.

Even if it is mostly red, nearly everybody can get them to grow fast.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the super color from it. Put it in a shaded area with indirect light. Take a frag of it and place it there for now. You will see the color change in about 2 to 3 weeks.

OP
OP
FN-5280

FN-5280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is no easy coral to get to color up. Some very good hobbyists struggle with it. IMO, the only true common denominator with good color is a decent sized colony... even then, you might not get color like you want.

The best looking one that I have ever seen is about 8" under the water under a 400w 14k halide at about 800 PAR. It has textbook color. I have one under a 250W Radium at about 750 PAR, but it is still only about 2" and not all that colorful yet.

I would not chase getting color out of a Vivid Rainbow nor a PC Rainbow... both can be finicky.

Even if it is mostly red, nearly everybody can get them to grow fast.
I kind of have a feeling that it is really dependent on a lot more than lighting. I cut a frag for a buddy who runs the same lighting schedule and he has his lower in his tank and it is already showing the PC rainbow colors a lot more than my mini colony. I totally understand that water chemistry has a lot to do with coral color color but my parameters are are where most people would like them.

If you want the super color from it. Put it in a shaded area with indirect light. Take a frag of it and place it there for now. You will see the color change in about 2 to 3 weeks.
I will have to make a frag and give this a try for sure. Thank you!

I get the best color at around 150 par. Any more and it goes all red for me.
I'm going to have to make a frag and put it lower in my tank. Thanks for the input.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here.

Def lower light for pulling more colors out of it. Deep red with blue tips if you blast it with light.

Mine currently is actually like mostly deep red with blue tips at 150 par, but it's 150 par of halide. I had a lot more green with 150 par of led.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is high up and is basically all red now that is bigger. In the shaded area's it yellow or green. Def put lower if you want to keep the rainbow look to it. But even frags high up seem to show the rainbow effect until bigger also...

OP
OP
FN-5280

FN-5280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here.

Def lower light for pulling more colors out of it. Deep red with blue tips if you blast it with light.

I’m going to make a frag of my mini colony and put it lower in my tank and see how it does.

OP
OP
FN-5280

FN-5280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine currently is actually like mostly deep red with blue tips at 150 par, but it's 150 par of halide. I had a lot more green with 150 par of led.

I’m running LEDs so I’m hoping I’ll be able to pull all the colors.

OP
OP
FN-5280

FN-5280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is high up and is basically all red now that is bigger. In the shaded area's it yellow or green. Def put lower if you want to keep the rainbow look to it. But even frags high up seem to show the rainbow effect until bigger also...

Thank you! I’m gonna try putting it lower.

Tuoixuanxanh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this cp rainbow from reefer shut down his tank. He told me that he place in middle corner of the tank with multiple xr15 pro gen 4 run at 50%.
20181121_164145-01-01.jpeg

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's mine. About 150 par at the bottom of the tank. 400watt radium and reefbrites.

DSC04957.jpg

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 pieces. Tank is 250 dd with halide/t5 combo. One is about middle of tank while the other is sitting about 6 inches above the sand bed. The lower one has better colors than the 1 higher up
20181206_215746.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back