WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much for that reply it clearly has a lot of research. Ill see if I can find a good spot for a acan as they are easy to find unlike good mushrooms in Australia. But it will be hard to tell without par testing, I have two spots in mind but one is higher light one very low
Geez. I kind of forgot your from Australia.

Around here when a Coral shipment comes from Australia, they like do fireworks, and public announcements sending out emails and flyers.
Lucky you. If Mushrooms are hard to get there. Who cares.
You have access to some of he Best Corals in the world.

I guess what you can't get easy and rare locally is what's special.

You have access to one of my favourite LPS. The Australian Golden Torch, or almost as good but rarer is Golden/Yellow Hammer that I was so proud of for years (till it died about 6 month ago).

Not sure if it's from Australia, but I have a Golden Frogspawn. It too almost died during that thing I had happened in my LPS tank. But I saved a part of it.
It's slowly coming back. Whew! It's actually is my most favorite Euphylia that I have.

I actually submitted a photo of it for the Novemeber POTM contest. It's was spectacular when I took the photo, and I might have a chance to get voting round this month. (Maybe. We'll see and if I do, you can vote for a Fellow Reef Mate. Not me, the coral).

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Around here when a Coral shipment comes from Australia, they like do fireworks, and public announcements sending out emails and flyers.

I guess what you can't get easy and rare locally is what's special.

You have access to one of my favourite LPS. The Australian Golden Torch, or almost as good but rarer is Golden/Yellow Hammer that I was so proud of for years (till it died about 6 month ago).

Not sure if it's from Australia, but I have a Golden Frogspawn. It too almost died during that thing I had happened in my LPS tank. But I saved a part of it.
It's slowly coming back. Whew! It's actually is my most favorite Euphylia that I have.

I actually submitted a photo of it for the Novemeber POTM contest. It's was spectacular when I took the photo, and I might have a chance to get voting round this month. (Maybe. We'll see and if I do, you can vote for a Fellow Reef Mate. Not me, the coral).
Generally we have ether really low quality or really high quality coral, and most of our very high end stuff gets exported tbh. But we can usually get a golden torch for $100-120 AUD for a head or two. I havnt seen golden hammers or frogspawn however I have seen orange hammers.
I knew our Aussie corals where popular but I didn’t know they where email list popular lol good to hear your frogspawns recovering and If you send me the link I’ll vote for it haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are looking great again, they chased pellets and mysis today, I can’t see any spots one is just pale from stress I think. They should be going back into the display tommorow afternoon when I get home from school.
Researched a mixing station more and going with this setup
Maze 100L water tank
Sicce silent 2.5 return pump swapped with my current return so actually a moray 2300
Aqua heat heater from my quarentene
25mm pvc T joint and 2 elbows
2x 15cm straight pvc
1x 30cm straight pvc (being that I don’t need to do more than 40L water changes this will be tall enough)
It’s hard to explain the design I’m going for but it’s the same as fishofhex used cycling his rock for the 300
Hoping the pvc will fit and will probably get a test joint during the week.

Corals are looking great, zoas are still a little closed up and hammer isn’t back to 100% but much better than recently
0503C5FD-F61B-4E24-BAFD-AD48C8003B63.jpeg
3F9B9FEE-41FF-44EF-832C-DEA2D9D8C896.jpeg
086FA212-32C7-43EF-9E1A-BA97225C07D6.jpeg
35EA69DD-636E-4EC9-ADF9-44929E2AC35B.jpeg

Much better compared to what it looked like before
2F45CAF5-C1E6-4ADB-976B-03EA465D9207.jpeg
1677A564-9501-494C-8B63-A56CF4AEDADC.jpeg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news about the Clowns.

I assume that last two photos with spots are BEFORE Photo's.
And the other photo's without spots are Recent photos.

Note of Caution. If those spots were Ich. Then Fish Loosing Ich, is part of the Cycle of Ich. I've seen my fish Become ICH FREE (Get all excitied), and it comes back worse, day or two later.

When ICH cycles, it will clear up on the FIsh. Ich leaves host after about X hours, to incubate and comes back.
You should not put them back into DT since then DT is contaminated (if not already) for 40 days.

I've cured quite a few fish from Ich (Alive today), and it's all about disrupting the ICH cycle.
Fresh water dips my relieve symptom, but nothing works as Effective for Ich than TTM (Tank Transfer Method)

TTM method is here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/

Lot's of work for you, but it worked for my 100% every time (if fish is healthy enough/eatting)
You don't need 2 Proper QT's. Can be done in Buckets.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news about the Clowns.

I assume that last two photos with spots are BEFORE Photo's.
And the other photo's without spots are Recent photos.

Note of Caution. If those spots were Ich. Then Fish Loosing Ich, is part of the Cycle of Ich. I've seen my fish Become ICH FREE (Get all excitied), and it comes back worse, day or two later.

When ICH cycles, it will clear up on the FIsh. Ich leaves host after about X hours, to incubate and comes back.
You should not put them back into DT since then DT is contaminated (if not already) for 40 days.

I've cured quite a few fish from Ich (Alive today), and it's all about disrupting the ICH cycle.
Fresh water dips my relieve symptom, but nothing works as Effective for Ich than TTM (Tank Transfer Method)

TTM method is here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/

Lot's of work for you, but it worked for my 100% every time (if fish is healthy enough/eatting)
You don't need 2 Proper QT's. Can be done in Buckets.
I initially thought it was ich too but one of my coworkers and my boss who has been doing this for over 20 years dosnt think it’s ich and a reef safe treatment didnt budge it

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially thought it was ich too but one of my coworkers and my boss who has been doing this for over 20 years dosnt think it’s ich and a reef safe treatment didnt budge it
Maybe your boss and friend are right.
I have horrible patience, but after many failures due to impatience, I really make the effort to never rush things with fish, corals.

In your case moving them back isn't a big deal. It's different when you have a tank full of healthy fish that you spent many efforts to QT to healthy DT transfers. Risking a too early move could result in wipe out or suffering for the DT fish.

In your case a move back to tank where conditions may be better could be ok.
No fish in your tank. So you can always catch the clowns again, and treat.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe your boss are friend are right.
I have horrible patience, but after many failures due to impatience, I really make the effort to never rush things with fish, corals.

In your case moving them back isn't a big deal. It's different when you have a tank full of healthy fish that you spent many efforts to QT to healthy DT transfers. Risking a too early move could result in wipe out or suffering for the DT fish.

In your case a move back to tank where conditions may be better could be ok.
No fish in your tank. So you can always catch the clowns again, and treat.
There is currently a melanarus wrasse, flame goby and coral beauty in there but being that no fish in the DT are showing symptoms. Also being that I plan on upgrading and quarantining all fish in the next year or so it should be okay.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to bespoke aquariums a couple of days ago and picked up:
A coral goby
A meat coral
A birds nest
Two zoanthids (one bam bam zoa)
An acan

very impressed with the Coral they had there and that they had a hospital / quarentene tank in use.

Entered POTM with a photo of the acan. Raw and with processing
349A3159-93A2-455D-973E-19F1578B58D6.jpeg
4EF6D217-6877-4E94-A76C-B59A9784D88C.jpeg

The meat coral and acan have much more tentacles than I initially understood from research but are showing feeding responses to mysis when I feed the fish which is great.

Coral goby has settled in but I havnt seen it eat yet but it doesn’t look underweight and there is definitely enough food going in. He has also started to take a liking to my finger leather coral which is cute to see. I havnt gotten a photo of this yet unfortunately
7B6AAB88-E13A-47EF-9626-C9F90B94E4AB.jpeg

New aquascape is going well, I wish the tank was a little wider so my stromb snails wouldn’t run into my meat coral so much however

Nyos 160 is very impressive but having some difficulty getting the water onsite the skimmer high enough but the skimmer isn’t at the recommended depth in the water, looking into getting somthing to boost it plus it’s oversized for the tank so to be expected

Photos of new corals:
bam bam zoa
D89A3F94-5C3D-42B5-90F3-9D9F504F5347.jpeg

815FF019-B958-4C23-9790-B9CEA9984432.jpeg
3EE317CF-05A3-45A9-8CB6-E5311E49ABBD.jpeg
83B32892-BAB8-412F-99FB-F47D1F1B1314.jpeg
(anemone is back from under a rock so it may as well be new since it has bubbles now)
CF2DEC2E-5567-45EB-8C93-964A4F696D7F.jpeg

FTS:
91CA7621-6CF1-477B-9232-CEEE2104218C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank had another small rough patch but nothing like the first and is now going well.
the hammer coral died but I’m not sure why it was great one day then dying two later but I didn’t change anything.

the coral goby disappeared and is assumed dead, I didn’t see it eat which is probably the cause of death.

The tank has since rebounded fortunately, I changed from natural sea water to Red Sea coral pro salt. Upped my lighting slightly which seems to of helped and I cleaned my power head.
I also bought a foxface and mini Goniopora, the foxface came in a little light but eager to eat and the Goni is going well but seems to retract a lot but has smaller polyps / tenticles between the larger ones.
im finally seeing some growth, the chaeto ball has grown, the acan seems puffier, some of the spas seem to of spread, the green star polyp has grown and one of the anemones looks like it’s growing.
Foxface is putting on weight and blows bubbles which is very cute, coral beauty seems frustrated that it’s not the king of the tank because of some big yellow thing and was posturing at feeding time thismorning but no damage done.
Future plans are getting a seneye reef to measure par a Red Sea nitrate test kit for better accuracy and a hannah checker to test phosphate and a brute bin to mix salt easier. I also used the old moray 2300 to mix salt and replaced it with a sicce 2.5 for my display. Skimmer is having problems getting foam high enough because it’s over sized but hey another reason to upgrade

paramaters today where
Salinify 1.026
pH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Alkalinity 7 (low)
Calcium 450
Magnesium 300 (low)

I also began feeding corals a mix of 2 caps of phyoto and some mysis which seems to of triggered this growth and reduction in alk and calcium.
5393E270-DF4D-49F4-A786-F9C6087D777A.jpeg
EB07E047-51A5-4B55-9943-15183A0C1EF5.jpeg
F1AC6FB0-00D9-4B58-94D3-FCEB7F34450A.jpeg
883C2772-EDF8-4F71-B35A-4F64B39B1CC2.jpeg
593E44BC-4581-4FB3-9BB9-5F4BC1770AAE.jpeg
635FE785-DD7E-429D-B03F-7F28A69E1E0B.jpeg
08D2E291-E8A5-48B7-BDE9-53C1C630D4DE.jpeg
A73F34C6-86CD-4250-B281-EB8092C71A74.jpeg
06F72CA7-CDC7-4377-89AA-630BAF3242D1.jpeg
F6FD7CFA-94DD-42D7-9D9B-09EBE2399503.jpeg
7FAEF999-AEE1-45B7-A2D2-FDB75E2B5240.jpeg
FCEAB316-D395-44D8-AF83-3BDC65E7B4D2.jpeg
7BBF32A3-1BD8-4363-9FF0-117913C23688.jpeg
7D8E15C3-16A1-4EA5-A1A8-D5744BF52750.jpeg

Last edited:

melfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still on the first page of your build so this may be old news/not needed anymore but if you’re still after live copepods my LFS in Brisbane sells them and ships Aus wide!!! 100% Reef Safe. Check out their FB page, they announce when they have a shipment coming in, and you can preorder too. They also do phytoplankton if you wanted to have a go at farming your own pods/help them thrive in your tank (they eat photo). It’s been a while since I’ve looked but there are some pretty easy looking pod farm tanks somewhere, maybe it was on MASA forum? It’s so annoying not being able to ship things from USA hey! Not just livestock/live food/corals/RBTAs/shrimp but I’ve also really wanted lots of things from BRS but they won’t ship here. Such a bummer. But at least we have the good corals & fish :)

melfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R.e. fragging wall hammer, it’s commonly agreed that this is harder than for branching hammers as you have to damage the flesh. It can be done but brown jelly infections are common (as the exposed flesh is prone to infection). I read one thread where a guy scored it with a dremel (glasses and respirator needed) and then broke it apart with chisel and hammer. He had 100% success rate. Some corals just have an affinity for certain tanks I guess!

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R.e. fragging wall hammer, it’s commonly agreed that this is harder than for branching hammers as you have to damage the flesh. It can be done but brown jelly infections are common (as the exposed flesh is prone to infection). I read one thread where a guy scored it with a dremel (glasses and respirator needed) and then broke it apart with chisel and hammer. He had 100% success rate. Some corals just have an affinity for certain tanks I guess!
I actually avoid any Euphylia that is not branching just for the reason of Pruning.
Way to risky. I've never tried it (cut thru flesh), but losing a colony isn't worth trying.
I have a Bubble Coral and it's gotten so massive I don't know what to do with it (doesn't fit anymore).
I has split into 6-8 sections but they haven't separated enough to be cut.
NOT SURE if they will ever separate enough to have a clean cut, without cutting flesh.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually avoid any Euphylia that is not branching just for the reason of Pruning.
Way to risky. I've never tried it (cut thru flesh), but losing a colony isn't worth trying.
I have a Bubble Coral and it's gotten so massive I don't know what to do with it (doesn't fit anymore).
NOT SURE if they will ever separate enough to have a clean cut, without cutting flesh.
I now would do the same except Euphyllia seem to hate my tank :(

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief update
Birds nest is dying I cannot figure out why I assume it’s light but my par meter hasn’t arrived yet so I can’t confirm

I got a mandarin for free today since it wasn’t eating at my LFS and my boss wanted to get rid of it (I’m a casual there), it’s now in a acclimation box and I’ll try to coax it into eating tommorow without the two clownfish it had for competition.
photos will also come tommorow

and a seneye reef is on the way so I’ll do a par test and adjust my lighting accordingly. Plans after that are a mesh lid and dosing, a polyp lens v2 and upgrading my heater

melfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve avoided walls all together until I accidentally bought one last week! A beautiful orange hammer. It was fully expanded so I didn’t notice until I did the dip. Doing well but not sure what I’ll do when it gets too big. Buys bigger tank. Ha

melfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being in Aus is pretty cool but a lot of our A grade corals go straight to export as they get more money for it selling internationally. I mean you do get good pieces too. And there isn’t as much of a culture of tank propagation. You guys have some crazy awesome aquacultured corals that aren’t really readily available in Aus (that I’ve noticed). Because we can get stuff from our reefs, less effort is put into developing new stuff, imho. And we can’t import tank bred fish, but we can import wild caught, for some illogical reason. So some fish aren’t available, eg neon blue stripe gobys, forget their name. And RBTAs are crazy expensive here!!! Like $600. And red line/blood red shrimp are $100-150 each. So I’m jealous of you guys for a good few reasons too!

But having said that, I think our general coral sales are cheaper on average, and fairy wrasses way cheaper.

Always fascinated to compare Aus & USA prices & availablity

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being in Aus is pretty cool but a lot of our A grade corals go straight to export as they get more money for it selling internationally. I mean you do get good pieces too. And there isn’t as much of a culture of tank propagation. You guys have some crazy awesome aquacultured corals that aren’t really readily available in Aus (that I’ve noticed). Because we can get stuff from our reefs, less effort is put into developing new stuff, imho. And we can’t import tank bred fish, but we can import wild caught, for some illogical reason. So some fish aren’t available, eg neon blue stripe gobys, forget their name. And RBTAs are crazy expensive here!!! Like $600. And red line/blood red shrimp are $100-150 each. So I’m jealous of you guys for a good few reasons too!

But having said that, I think our general coral sales are cheaper on average, and fairy wrasses way cheaper.

Always fascinated to compare Aus & USA prices & availablity
Don’t forget golden torch corals here $100-200 america $300 ish

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back