Peacock Mantis feeding recommendations

Rusty’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious if anyone had a recommendation on how much to feed a peacock mantis that is about 5-6”long. I just got it and was curious what to expect as far as feeding. Thanks

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious if anyone had a recommendation on how much to feed a peacock mantis that is about 5-6”long. I just got it and was curious what to expect as far as feeding. Thanks
I am curious to see some answers as well... I have kept hermits and astria snails in the tank but my little girl only has one small club and just got that after her molt. I was feeding her a frozen krill or two a day... Then I started tossing a bunch of live ghost shrimp in because she liked chasing em. Now she won't take the frozen krill

I've also noticed a difference around molt time.

Got some frozen half shell clams tonight but haven't tried one yet.

Last edited:

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also saw someone who's mantis loved shrimp pellets so I got some to try. The hermits and ghost shrimp clamor for them but she doesn't pay em any mind.

BlakeK.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also curious. I've only had mine for 3 days and it's eaten 2 fiddler crabs and 2 green chromis.

OP
OP
Rusty’s Reef

Rusty’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, My mantis wont eat snails or hermits. It paid absolutely no attention to my current clean up crew in my tank. I figured it was still adjusting to my tank and it’s new environment. A few days ago, I ended up taking the shell off of a fresh shrimp and offered it with a long pair of tongs, and it took it eagerly. I read something the other day about a pet mantis that likes softer foods when getting ready to molt. And after a few days and a few shrimp later, my mantis molted today.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams on the half shell are absolute wonders, when I kept one, mine would eat the clam then smash the shell into a billion pieces [emoji23]. Maybe try scallops as well.

I'd honestly leave the shell on the shrimp. Mantis shrimp can take a finger tip off if they're a little too enthusiastic. A shell, clam, shrimp whatever is not too much fun for them!

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

It’s been a little over 24 hrs since my peacock mantis has acclimated to its new tank. Today, I waved a frozen krill in front of it and was gladly accepted. However, less than 1 hour later, it tossed the krill out; it’s half-eaten and was chewed up a bit. The mantis is about 3” long and the krill’s 1” long. The discarded krill was missing its front half. Is this normal behavior for a mantis to eat only half the krill it’s offered? Is krill not the best food type for a mantis?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Give it time- It WILL eat snails and other shelled creatures. Assure you have proper salinity and water conditions.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mantis is about 7” and I’ve had it about 3 months. The first couple weeks it refused most food offerings but would take some krill here and there. Then it molted. After a few more days of it molting it started accepting everything offered. I feed once a day. Either half a silverside, 2 krill, or clam on half shell. There are also a couple live hermits and astrea snails in the tank and every now and then one will go missing. When they disappear I replace them with more from another tank. I order snails and hermits in bulk from LA for this purpose.

93248619-1752-40AA-9199-118642BC6077.jpeg B904B641-EC70-4FD7-B793-E183119190CA.jpeg

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

It’s been a little over 24 hrs since my peacock mantis has acclimated to its new tank. Today, I waved a frozen krill in front of it and was gladly accepted. However, less than 1 hour later, it tossed the krill out; it’s half-eaten and was chewed up a bit. The mantis is about 3” long and the krill’s 1” long. The discarded krill was missing its front half. Is this normal behavior for a mantis to eat only half the krill it’s offered? Is krill not the best food type for a mantis?
Just pull out what doesn’t get eaten after a couple hours to keep the nutrients down. Try again at the next feeding. Eventually it will start eating good.

JohnjosefII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mantis is about 7” and I’ve had it about 3 months. The first couple weeks it refused most food offerings but would take some krill here and there. Then it molted. After a few more days of it molting it started accepting everything offered. I feed once a day. Either half a silverside, 2 krill, or clam on half shell. There are also a couple live hermits and astrea snails in the tank and every now and then one will go missing. When they disappear I replace them with more from another tank. I order snails and hermits in bulk from LA for this purpose.

93248619-1752-40AA-9199-118642BC6077.jpeg B904B641-EC70-4FD7-B793-E183119190CA.jpeg
Is that albino?

CAMAKAZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peacock used to like LRS frozen foods. They have several ingredients so I imagine it provided a little variety.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave mine 1 or 2 half shelled clams a day. I made sure he could punch the food.

bradzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feed thawed shrimp is it best to keep the shell on ? Will they eat it don’t want to dirty my tank with uneaten shrimp shells

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back