People Eaters

chefbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a sunpod metal halide and my peep eaters closed up and they haven't opened up for two days. My mushrooms and green stars look great, nice and open. What could be wrong? I had them close to the bottom so I moved them up mid tank and they are stande straighter but still not open.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you upgrade from? It could be that they are shocked with the new light. Did you acclimate the tank to the new light at all?

OP
OP
chefbone

chefbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont wanna sound dumb but how would i acclimate the new light? I went from 24" t-8 that came with the tank, its an eclipse hood, one 10,000k and one actinic, but only 30 some watts now im at 150 watts, 14,000k. they were on bout 4 hours, then I installed the new light and turned it on. I have it on a timer for 8 hours and blue leds for half the night.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you upgrade from? It could be that they are shocked with the new light. Did you acclimate the tank to the new light at all?

holdyourlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont wanna sound dumb but how would i acclimate the new light? I went from 24" t-8 that came with the tank, its an eclipse hood, one 10,000k and one actinic, but only 30 some watts now im at 150 watts, 14,000k. they were on bout 4 hours, then I installed the new light and turned it on. I have it on a timer for 8 hours and blue leds for half the night.

The PE's could be in shock esp. if they are not @ the bottom of the tank. Best way to avoid new light shock is to first run a reduced light cycle not a longer one. second-put four pieces of screening between the light and tank and remove one a week for a month..

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, when changing lighting, and especially when increasing the intensity, it is helpful to allow the corals to get used to the new light. The MH are a huge increase in intensity, and no doubt a change in spectrum as well. The PPE are probably not prepared to deal with so much light and are getting "sunburned" so to speak. If you only had the regular lights on for four hours, I wouldn't recommend putting the MH's on for longer than that to start.

To acclimate, they basically mean that it can help to provide some shade from the light intially, or keep it farther up and away from the tank. Also, starting with a shorter photo-period and then slowly increasing it, maybe by half-hour increments every couple/few days, until you reach your desired photoperiod would be a good way to go. I would turn those lights off and give the PPE's a chance to breath. Starting tomorrow, try setting the timer for a few hours on, then off for the rest of the day, and try to shade them a little. Work your way up slowly, and take your cues from the corals. If you see stress from the lights, back off.

PPE's aren't high-light lovers, so you don't want to toast them. Move them down and into the shade perhaps as well.

Regards,

Zack

OP
OP
chefbone

chefbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YAY!!! Today they were open again!! I took your advice nanofins and they are looking normal again, I was worried for a minute. Tested water today and everything is perfect. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

sanddune600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that ppe grow really fast under high light but look better with a little less (now if I could remember where I heard it from that is another story)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back