People's experience with sea cucumbers

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow cucumber in my tank for almost 3 months now and got a very healthy population of nassarius snails and other CUC so far no problem, but my tank has a 1 1/2 inches sand bed. My tank is LPS and softies dominated, from Zoas to a wide variety of Leather Corals, Nems and few SPS. Because of that I run carbon in a reactor constantly to be in the safe side, leathers are notorious for releasing toxins and zoas also, If an Anemones dies it could nuke your tank as well. So running the reactor keeps me mind relaxed and it also helps maintain water clarity, so is a plus in my system setting. Also be aware of your fishes compatibility because some might nip and upset the cucumber and there is when the trouble comes. I think they are a nice addition as a bio diversity and they will deliver what they meant to be, sand sweepers and cleaners. In my personal opinion I will go for it, but I will took the prevention measures as carbon media 24/7 and inhabitants compatibility. Don't be afraid but play on the safe side of the game.

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t mind me asking, where/who was the offer with? I can’t get enough of these guys! Feel free to PM me.
Thanks for sharing,
Stephen
I picked one up at world wide corals today without doing my research. Which is how I found this thread now. They had at least one more. I guess now that it is in my tank I will hope for the best.

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little guy has not been feeding the past few days. I’ve been targeting him with phyto but he has not had his feeding tentacles out. He has moved slightly from where I originally placed him. Anything I can do? Should I try to relocate him? I would think he would move on his own if he wanted to. Could my cleaner shrimp be annoying him?

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have kept sea apples for years, but I daily feed about 125 cc of phyto to the tank.

Regarding the sand bottom, I find it is more useful for nutrient cycling rather than needing it for food. If you get tigertail or other sand-dwelling cucumbers then the sand becomes necessary for a food source.

5E067497-0042-442C-82FF-1294481A674B.jpeg

Totally off-topic, but are those blue & yellow fusiliers??? I want a small group of them for my new build so bad, but until now, I haven't come across anyone on this forum that has them! You have an incoming DM!

Back to sea cucumbers, would you say that the filter-feeding types have about the same requirements as gorgonions?

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally off-topic, but are those blue & yellow fusiliers??? I want a small group of them for my new build so bad, but until now, I haven't come across anyone on this forum that has them! You have an incoming DM!

Back to sea cucumbers, would you say that the filter-feeding types have about the same requirements as gorgonions?
DM answered. The short is that they have been model citizens for 1-2 years.

I’ve had more luck with Sea apples than I have with NPS gorgonia bc the gorgonia keep getting covered in algae :/

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back