Peppermint Shrimp question

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....I had an outbreak of digitate hydroids. They were irritating my zoa's....so, the LFS recommended a Peppermint Shrimp to control/eradicate ......although they did say it was hit or miss. Looks like it was a hit.....I went from having too many hydroids to count.....to this evening, where I only see one - very small one. He's been in there a little more than a 10 days.... so my question is....What will the peppermint shrimp eat next? I don't have any aptasia that I know of. Will he starve? Should I rehome? Will he eat other things? I just want him to die and starve.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want him to die and starve.

You want him to starve? That's gonna be tough since they are scavengers and will eat and thrive off of any left over food that is floating around in your tank.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want him to die and starve.

CB058C6C-0E08-49C2-987C-AA09DF4C4BCD.jpeg

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you meant you DONT want him to starve and die.

Peps are pretty cool. They will just keep eating leftovers.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just save a chunk of food for my shrimps when I feed the fish. I stick my hand in the tank and the shrimp climbs on me and takes the food then runs away to eat it. He won’t starve unless you purposely starve him, and in that case you’re not a very nice person :(

JayLu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great little scavengers. it would be difficult to starve one, even if for some reason you wanted to, along as you feed your fish.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will eat any food that you add into the tank for your fish when it reaches the ground or any that the fish don't get he will eat

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely will not die just feed your tank like you normally do for your fish and he will get some of it and eat it he will find it no worries your peppermint shrimp will be perfectly okay

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to you can even go as far as getting a pair of tongs and taking little pieces of mysis shrimp shrimp from the grocery store or any other kind of fish food that you feed hand feeding him directly he will learn to take it he will learn that you're trying to feed him and it will happen within a matter of days

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an anemone crab is willingly and has always willingly taken food right from my tongues no problemo

Soryu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to let mine give me manicures while I did my water changes. They would come out and pick the hang nails off of my fingers. Right up until my anemones at all of them. Probably for the best since they got the taste for human flesh I was probably in danger.

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't let them do that to me they always end up scaring the hell out of me cuz they sneak up on me when I'm cleaning and I don't know they're there LOL

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back