Perimeters

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check my perimeters weekly - my Calcium and alkalinity levels remain stable are are within the range recommended. Is this normal as I only do a water change every week and do not dose (as readings are as desired)?
However, my magnesium is high - over 1500 - why would this be and is it detrimental in the long term? All corals, and fish, are growing/feeding/active etc.

For reference I use a Hanna checker for Calcium and alkalinity (but have double checked result with test kit too). For magnesium I’ve used two test kits to arrive at a similar result. Alkalinity is at 9dkh which is obviously the low end of the recommendation but fear that if I raise it it will increase the magnesium further.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check my perimeters weekly - my Calcium and alkalinity levels remain stable are are within the range recommended. Is this normal as I only do a water change every week and do not dose (as readings are as desired)?
However, my magnesium is high - over 1500 - why would this be and is it detrimental in the long term? All corals, and fish, are growing/feeding/active etc.

For reference I use a Hanna checker for Calcium and alkalinity (but have double checked result with test kit too). For magnesium I’ve used two test kits to arrive at a similar result. Alkalinity is at 9dkh which is obviously the low end of the recommendation but fear that if I raise it it will increase the magnesium further.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
What type of salts are you using? How much hard coral do you have in your tank? It is perfectly normal to be able to maintain ALK and CA by water changes alone....depending on how much is being consumed by livestock, algae, etc. 9dkh isn't actually considered the low end........some keep their levels around 7 with the average being between 8-9. If everything is growing and looking good, I wouldn't change a thing :)

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I thought. Wow what's a peri-meter?! ... Then I realized, duh it's the perimeter of an object. But then it turned out to be the tank parameters. This really gave me the run around lol

If your parameters are stable then it just means you're corals aren't consuming the elements. What is your lighting like? Do you have a lot of stony corals in the tank? If growth is low with stony corals you will not consume much.

I'm mg experience, high magnesium is not an issue. It could actually help keep your alk and ca higher in the tank, but not really an issue as long as everything is stable

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My error in not being able to spell
I have:
Montipora (frag)
Duncan’s (4 heads)
Alveopora - Daisy Coral
Elegance Coral
Xenia
Mushrooms
Small frags of Zoas
Small Flower Anemone
Two leathers (Toadstool and Finger)
Acan

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My error in not being able to spell
I have:
Montipora (frag)
Duncan’s (4 heads)
Alveopora - Daisy Coral
Elegance Coral
Xenia
Mushrooms
Small frags of Zoas
Small Flower Anemone
Two leathers (Toadstool and Finger)
Acan
No problem lol. I was just confused and kidding around.

So it looks like most of those corals consume very little alk. You'll probably be good with just water changes. The monti would consume the most if it was growing rapidly.

The only other thing I can think of is whether or not you can see growth. If the light is good then you'll probably be seeing growth, which is what would consume elements. If it's growing and you don't see any changes then everything is fine. If it's not growing then it's probably the light.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem lol. I was just confused and kidding around.

So it looks like most of those corals consume very little alk. You'll probably be good with just water changes. The monti would consume the most if it was growing rapidly.

The only other thing I can think of is whether or not you can see growth. If the light is good then you'll probably be seeing growth, which is what would consume elements. If it's growing and you don't see any changes then everything is fine. If it's not growing then it's probably the light.
I’ve only had the Monti a few weeks so too early to tell. I have a Reef Photon which I have set to high blues and 50% white for the majority of the day.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of salts are you using? How much hard coral do you have in your tank? It is perfectly normal to be able to maintain ALK and CA by water changes alone....depending on how much is being consumed by livestock, algae, etc. 9dkh isn't actually considered the low end........some keep their levels around 7 with the average being between 8-9. If everything is growing and looking good, I wouldn't change a thing :)
I buy the water from the LFS (they use Aquaforest salt). Due to the lockdown I’ve just bought a RODI set up and will use the Red Sea Pro salt - based on instructions this should lower my magnesium level.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back