Peristaltic feed pump for a CaRx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that Geo will be coming out with a peristaltic feed pump for a CaRx. Any word on a release date?

geo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually being manufactured by Spectrapure. I am just doing testing on the prototypes and giving my input. I would suggest contacting them for an ETA.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! Now I want to see what happens with this!

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called Scott at Spectrapure and he confirmed yes it will be continuous duty. Basically the LM3 pump with a different controller.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just informed by Jonas Roman (designer of the focustronic alkatronic) of this pump he uses on his calcium reactor. He said it is very reliable, precise, only has to change the tubing every 6 months, and was only $250 US when he bought it. I looked it up and it is rated for continuous duty (24/7 use) with flow rates from 7ml/min to 70ml/min. What do you guys think?

https://www.aquaristikshop.com/aquaristic/IKS-Dosing-pump-Vario-Blue-II/518000/

Last edited:

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he used this pump?
Where can you buy replacement tubing?
Is it quiet?
I don't know how long he has been using it but I will ask. Not sure what places would ship the pump to the US or if it is even compatible with us outlets/voltage, but I plan on looking into it. The same website I found the pump on also sells the replacement tubing. KZ also sells both but more expensive. I don't know how quiet it is in person but it's running in this video and I couldn't pick it out over the water from the drains:

His r2r username is JonasRoman if you want to talk to him about it. Really nice guy and very smart/tech savvy. I pre-ordered the alkatronic because I think it's the best alkalinity controller out there and I trust his recommendation. He mentioned another pump that a lot of reefers use in Europe too, but he said he found this one to be more reliable.
00b01a1cc79252a68233b009ea8a7adf.jpg

DogueDeBordeaux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try one. I am not taking a gamble on another masterflex from ebay. Don't get me wrong, they run for ever. They just seem to start making too much noise after a while. There are not a lot of replacement parts available, or not easily sourced. I contacted coleparmer about sending off for repairs, and it was $800 fee.
If someone knows a place to send these pumps (masterflex) for decently priced repairs I'm all in.

DogueDeBordeaux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes IKS Vario Blue II
I read somewhere it was used on the dastaco calcium reactors. Now dastaco uses a newer version. Google their calcium reactor package, and look at the pump. Also see the newer pump on uniquecorals site.
I am just not sure how loud this pump will be. I am just tired of the squeaking masterflex.

Specturepure will have their calrx feed pump ready in couple months also. They are in testing phase now.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of those pumps are stepper motors which are not typically suited for high duty cycle use. I would worry not only about noise but also pump failure. The reason that masterflex pumps are so bulletproof is that they do not use stepper motors.

Then again, I know pacificsun, destaco, and others are all using these stepper motor pumps, so maybe they work well enough. I wish I had a spare, my nightmare is my masterflex crapping out and piecing one together from ebay takes a few weeks.

For $250 bucks though, one of the above might be worth a try. That is the cost of a used masterflex but as has been said, those can be noisy and tough to repair.

If I had the money I'd buy a brushless masterflex and never worry about this again, and have a dead silent pump. Maybe someday.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back