Peristaltic Pump for Calcium Reactor

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is good to know. I am guessing you set the speed and calibrate via wifi. I just cant justify that price man that thing cost. I mean as a last resort maybe.

The application is good and the X1 Pro pump is great...but there are issues with WiFi connectivity which are concerning, IMO. It took a number of attempts to get it to connect and I had it beside my router. Two times it has lost WiFi connection and I noticed it was running. To me, the price point of $90 is fine, if it were reliable. The Kamoer FX-STP is $300 and designed for continuous duty (what you want) and can be controlled directly as well as WiFi. That price point is a bit steep, but a previous reply in this thread had good luck with that unit.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this and love it. I think it’s just an off brand kamoer. No WiFi or anything, but seriously, why do you need to adjust often and especially wirelessly. It did take a couple weeks to arrive from China. I also run a 618 and this setup has been great for me.

[/QUOTE]
That looks to be Kamoer as well from the extended description, but maxes out at 52 ml/min. Pretty important to take note of that for anyone looking for pump. I run 60-70 ml/min on my system, at a reactor PH of 6.8.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok I figured it out. I know why there are not any more Versa pumps around. kamoer bought each and every last one of them so we would have to buy their pumps.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used Cole Palmer peristaltic pump off of ebay and appropriate tubing for it. It’s probably not the most popular option, it probably cost me $300 but it’s continuous duty and has never had any issues.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I read the post 300 bucks for a used Cole Palmer peristaltic pump I thought you were off. But after looking at the new prices dang you got a sweet friggin deal. If never judge a book by its cover was a person. :)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHAHAHAHA

And older non digital brushless model with low mileage? Yes. In a heart beat. I cannot overstate how loud a brushed motor is though. Basically unusable in any setting other than a basement/utility/closed-off-fish-room. I actually switched from masterflex to Kamoer for that very reason. The buzzing hum noise was so resonant and piercing I could hear it from every room in the house

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And older non digital brushless model with low mileage? Yes. In a heart beat. I cannot overstate how loud a brushed motor is though. Basically unusable in any setting other than a basement/utility/closed-off-fish-room. I actually switched from masterflex to Kamoer for that very reason. The buzzing hum noise was so resonant and piercing I could hear it from every room in the house
How do you like Kamoer?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have definitely heard loud squeally brushed Masterflex pumps before... while noisy, they’re pretty much bombproof and run forever. If you can find a brushless Masterflex for a good deal, snatch it up! What’s crazy is my Watson Marlow is a brushed unit and it’s whisper quiet, no loud squealing sound or vibration like the brushed Masterflex units.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like Kamoer?

It has worked fine for me. I’ve had it maybe 9-10 months or so now. Just shy of a year. It’s been fine. It’s smaller than a masterflex but “heavy” and doesn’t feel cheap and flimsy. The rollers are a little creaky if you lean in real close but it is completely inaudible with the cabinet door shut

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brushed masterflex pump made some squeeks when I first got it, I opened it up and lubricated the bearings on the motor and it’s been quiet ever since, but I also use a large enough diameter tubing that it runs at a slow rate so it’s not noisy at all. I could see how it potentially could be very annoying though

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brushed masterflex pump made some squeeks when I first got it, I opened it up and lubricated the bearings on the motor and it’s been quiet ever since, but I also use a large enough diameter tubing that it runs at a slow rate so it’s not noisy at all. I could see how it potentially could be very annoying though

Mine is the electrical 60hz buzz that some devices get. Not a result of any mechanical friction. It sounds like a kazoo

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok what regulates the water on the exit? the needle valve? I was hoping to come off my manifold but all good.

I have my peristaltic set up to pull through my reactor. It only takes in what it pushes out

I really did want to come off my manifold. When I build the manifold I built it for Carbon/gfo, UV, and a CR.
I have a UV running great and carbon/gfo running great I have one open nozzle left and that where i wanted my CR.
I am even using the Flow monitoring kit on my apex so I can dial it in on my UV and I have 1/2 inch hose ready. I think I might try coming off my manifold with a fuel filter and needle valve.

Give it a go and I wish you luck. I was in the same place as you about 8 months ago. Reading about how peristaltic is the way to go, but hoping to use my return. Didn’t work. Then I even tried using a dedicated sicce pump with a needle valve..... didn’t work. On both, the needle valve would slowly clog, effluent would slow, and reactor Ph would rise. Then I tried a cheap used Watson Marlow. It was loud and stopped working after a while. I may have used the wrong tube? Now I have the cheap kamoer type unit and problem solved.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
F943FA17-CF4B-4116-9522-16BEB2D930E1.jpeg

I'm pretty sure my masterflex will out live all my gear. It was more than my reactor, but it's also the heartbeat of my system and I know it was designed to keep whatever it's hooked up to alive.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The last confusing part is the push or pull method. I hear some say they push water thru the reactor then i hear some say they pull it thru.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back