Peristaltic Pump for Calcium Reactor

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brushed masterflex pump made some squeeks when I first got it, I opened it up and lubricated the bearings on the motor and it’s been quiet ever since, but I also use a large enough diameter tubing that it runs at a slow rate so it’s not noisy at all. I could see how it potentially could be very annoying though
Would you mind sharing what lubricant you used or recommend? My is making pretty loud squeeky sound lately.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind sharing what lubricant you used or recommend? My is making pretty loud squeeky sound lately.

I had some penetrating lubricant for firearms that I used on it. It’s stuff I had mixed up years ago, (1 part dexron IV Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 part K1 odorless kerosene) I just squirted it in the bearings on both sides of the motor (there’s one on each end)

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some penetrating lubricant for firearms that I used on it. It’s stuff I had mixed up years ago, (1 part dexron IV Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 part K1 odorless kerosene) I just squirted it in the bearings on both sides of the motor (there’s one on each end)
Thanks, will try opening the thing up next week and try greasing it.

Hausser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good model number for a Watson Marlow pump or some of the other parasitic pumps?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Kamoer very good pump for CA reactors. i happen to use a tom pump which is very quiet

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not a huge choice in the affordable end of the market TBH - I went for the Kamoer as the Versa wasn't available (2 months ago) - The Kamoer is fine but does have a limit of 140ml per minute which may or may not be enough if you plan to have thickets of SPS
I would assume my carx isn’t sized right if I’m pushing over 140ml/min.
Good Morning reefers,
I am setting up my Calcium reactor this weekend and I want to know which peristaltic pump should I get what are you guys using on your calcium reactors? Kamoer cost too much if you ask me. I am sure it's a great pump. I was thinking more along the lines of a versa. Let me know what you guys are using maybe there is a cheaper solution. Thanks.
The Kamoer is actually one of the cheapest ones out there. I used it to on my geo818 to feed my 400G total volume system and it works great.

good luck getting your hands on a Versa, I’ve been wanting to try one myself. Pay the extra money and stay away from needle valves as the consistency you get with peristaltic pumps is just too good!

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would assume my carx isn’t sized right if I’m pushing over 140ml/min.

The Kamoer is actually one of the cheapest ones out there. I used it to on my geo818 to feed my 400G total volume system and it works great.

good luck getting your hands on a Versa, I’ve been wanting to try one myself. Pay the extra money and stay away from needle valves as the consistency you get with peristaltic pumps is just too good!
I have been running the Kamora fx-stp works great. I caught it on sale when it was like 230 bucks over thanksgiving.
I tried the push method but that did not work well. It could be the fact that when I changed to the pull method I discovered I had a tiny hole in the tubing that goes around the circulating wheel thingy. It was close enough to the end so that I could cut it off and everything works great. I ordered a new piece of tubing to have on standby and should be arriving from brs. Otherwise, the Kamora works great. I love it. The app however is a little buggy. Sometimes you can't connect so you have to close it out and reopen it. I am not complaining though.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the Kamora fx-stp works great. I caught it on sale when it was like 230 bucks over thanksgiving.
I tried the push method but that did not work well. It could be the fact that when I changed to the pull method I discovered I had a tiny hole in the tubing that goes around the circulating wheel thingy. It was close enough to the end so that I could cut it off and everything works great. I ordered a new piece of tubing to have on standby and should be arriving from brs. Otherwise, the Kamora works great. I love it. The app however is a little buggy. Sometimes you can't connect so you have to close it out and reopen it. I am not complaining though.

I actually push via a line off my return into the reactor and then pull out of the reactor with the kamoer, doing that my drip rate stays extremely consistent and I never seem to clog or have air bubbles causing random pours vs drips.

ReeferMaddne$$

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you find one?
I called a fish store in England located near a relative. They had 1 in stock. It cost a little more and took 7 weeks to get better , but I found one. I’m still looking for at least 1 more versa.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good model number for a Watson Marlow pump or some of the other parasitic pumps?

The 520 is the top of the line model. I have a 505 and it is a solid performer, nice and quiet. Get the 220RPM versions.

Not sure if I referenced the thread in this discussion before but here is a good discussion about the Watson Marlow pumps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back