Peristaltic Pump for Calcium Reactor

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried three different tubing sizes and material (pharma and silicone) on the versa to replace the factory one and dint dint work, or the tubing was jamming the pump or it wast not sucking liquid. I give up as I spend a few bucks trying this with out good results. And as you know, pharma tubing is not cheap :)
That is a shame.
I measured the tubing and it is a standard size. I found some pharma tubing from Kamoer on eBay in the correct size.
I did not try this I simply pulled the tubing assembly apart. Without a pharma tubing alternative I can't see using these for a CARx. I do not think ETM has spec'd some magical silicon tubing that will last for continuous use. The Kamoer silicon tubing is good for something like 3 weeks continuous duty.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack, but I was wondering where everyone places the input and output for their peristaltic pumps. I would think it makes sense to have them in different locations in the sump, right? That way effluent isn't being sucked right back into the reactor.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running Kamoer FX-STP for two years next month. Zero issues. Someone mentioned the X1, and that is NOT suitable for doing this. I don't think the Versa is something I'd trust based on all the issues being had. Also not a fan of Wifi only control. And if you think the Kamoer is too expensive, you might want to stick with dosing.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can I use this?
needle valve.JPG

This is the needle valve from georeef. I am using the 618 calcium reactor. Thanks.

Don’t do this. Believe me....I tried. Both before and after the reactor. Effluent relate always slowed over time.

I got this and love it. I think it’s just an off brand kamoer. No WiFi or anything, but seriously, why do you need to adjust often and especially wirelessly. It did take a couple weeks to arrive from China. I also run a 618 and this setup has been great for me.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do this. Believe me....I tried. Both before and after the reactor. Effluent relate always slowed over time.

I got this and love it. I think it’s just an off brand kamoer. No WiFi or anything, but seriously, why do you need to adjust often and especially wirelessly. It did take a couple weeks to arrive from China. I also run a 618 and this setup has been great for me.

There is a DIY thread for building a pump using the Kamoer parts and a Trinamic controller. Probably works better than the Kamoer, quieter at least.
That pump may very well be better that the Kamoer branded unit if they used a better controller.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a DIY thread for building a pump using the Kamoer parts and a Trinamic controller. Probably works better than the Kamoer, quieter at least.
That pump may very well be better that the Kamoer branded unit if they used a better controller.

The pump that I liked to is dead silent. Like put your ear up to it and you still can’t hear it silent.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started looking today never had the need for one.

Yeah it’s been rough finding one. I’ve been wanting to buy a pair of them but every place has been out of stock for months. Can’t seem to get a clear answer on when they’ll be back around. Can’t be covid because everything else seems to be constantly restocked. Even kamoer gear

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So one more question. On the Geo 618 what brings water to the reactor is it the Peristaltic Pump? This is the only thing I am confused about.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one more question. On the Geo 618 what brings water to the reactor is it the Peristaltic Pump? This is the only thing I am confused about.

Yes, the peristaltic pump acts as a feed pump to pull water from the tank, then draw it into and out of the reactor.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use a toms pump

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re using a peristaltic pump, the pump speed that you set will regulate the effluent flow rate, no needle valve necessary. If you were feeding the CaRx through your manifold or a small feed pump like a Sicce 0.5, then you would use the needle valve to control the effluent flow rate.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you’re using a peristaltic pump, the pump speed that you set will regulate the effluent flow rate, no needle valve necessary. If you were feeding the CaRx through your manifold or a small feed pump like a Sicce 0.5, then you would use the needle valve to control the effluent flow rate.
Thank you. I am going to use the pump to pull water and feed the reactor. That clears up everything.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good to know. I am guessing you set the speed and calibrate via wifi. I just cant justify that price man that thing cost. I mean as a last resort maybe.

The versa and the kamoer are really the only two peristaltic pumps in the “hobby” that are rated for continuous duty, so if those are either unattainable or priced out of range, you’re going to be looking at a more traditional Impeller based pump with an effluent valve control.

Yes...there are any number of commercial grade peristaltic pumps such as those made by Cole Parmer or Watson/Marlowe but if the kamoer is priced too high, you’ll spit your coffee on the screen when you see what a brushless masterflex pump will run you...

Your best bet is to pick up a handful of fuel filters, a small but decent AC pump, and a quality needle valve or use a manifold from your return. Expect some flow rate fluctuations with that route

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really did want to come off my manifold. When I build the manifold I built it for Carbon/gfo, UV, and a CR.
I have a UV running great and carbon/gfo running great I have one open nozzle left and that where i wanted my CR.
I am even using the Flow monitoring kit on my apex so I can dial it in on my UV and I have 1/2 inch hose ready. I think I might try coming off my manifold with a fuel filter and needle valve.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back