Perry's 90 Gallon Acro Dominant Bommie

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright you guys, I decided to treat myself to one of Tim's RRC Jaw Dropper's! I have a nice size piece coming this Tuesday, and while I rarely spend more than $150 for a frag, I find this one to be every bit worth the price I paid, which is much more than my usual limit, lol. I will post a picture when it arrives :)
I will take a polyp once it grows up :p

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I'm looking forward to seeing the Jaw Dropper. That's been on my list for years but I keep chickening out!

Tim mentioned on interview that he feels the "Set for Stun" is very similar to the JD in terms of growth and structure. I have this piece doing very well, it's definitely a slow grower, but colored nicely. I will be placing the JD in a very close location to the Set for Stun, hoping to help it settle right in :)
I decided for a larger frag, so that should help too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BC Mr Neutron is starting to show its lineage color, love seeing some white tones appear towards base of new branches :)

20220423_085359.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright you guys, I decided to treat myself to one of Tim's RRC Jaw Dropper's! I have a nice size piece coming this Tuesday, and while I rarely spend more than $150 for a frag, I find this one to be every bit worth the price I paid, which is much more than my usual limit, lol. I will post a picture when it arrives :)
Jaw Droppers are really beautiful. I can't recall reading anywhere that they are particularly difficult to keep but it is probably one of those "natural selection" outcomes. Few are dropping that kind of cash unless they are fairly confident in their acro skills. Looking forward to some purty pictures of that one!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jaw Droppers are really beautiful. I can't recall reading anywhere that they are particularly difficult to keep but it is probably one of those "natural selection" outcomes. Few are dropping that kind of cash unless they are fairly confident in their acro skills. Looking forward to some purty pictures of that one!

Hey Scott,
Thanks for the reply. I think the struggle with this coral is those trying to recoup funds by cutting too early, ultimately stressing a small coral out. My piece looks solid, nearly encrusted plug, with several branches starting to sprout. Looking forward to Tuesday for sure :)

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super jealous, I've been wanting one for some time now. I have the perfect spot for it. I'm basically out of room, in fact I'm removing corals to put in different ones but I still have a spot ready for jaw dropper. Where did you get yours?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super jealous, I've been wanting one for some time now. I have the perfect spot for it. I'm basically out of room, in fact I'm removing corals to put in different ones but I still have a spot ready for jaw dropper. Where did you get yours?

I got it from Tim, therman...
It's a nice size chunk, its here and settling in, so I will wait a day or two to photo :)

Thank you :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Forrest fire digi
2. Purple polyp red table
3. Aquamarine jewel
4. Pink acro
5. Pearlberry
6. Nauti spiral
7. Altered ego
8. Red & purple grafted
9. Seasons greetings
10. Christmas clados
11. Blureberry Miyagi
12. Magenta-red
13. Tyree tricolor
14. Purple stylo
15. Beach bum
16. Grafted setosa
17. Bubblegum digi
18. Watermelon psammocora
19. Undata
20. Chilli pepper
21. Tyree Pink Lemonade
22. Tyree Pink The Bear
23. TSA Bill Murray
24. Sunset Milli
25. JF Fox Flame
26. KC Purple Snow
27. KC First Blush
28. KC Capri Blue
29. KC Pink Caddy
30. KC Red Dragon
31. KC Blue Turf
32. KC Red Robin
32. KC Bright Rose
33. ORA Hawkins Echinata
34. BC Splendid Gremlin
35. BC Hellflower
36. BC Set For Stun
37. BC Battlegum
38. BC Mr. Neutron
39. BC Raindrops On Roses
40. BC Marty Mcfly
41. BC Mondo Rainbow
42. BC Sex Feast
43. BC Toast of London
44. BC Bonfire
45. BC Sky Dopple
46. BC Mr. Pacman
47. BC Fleshdunce
48. BC Sunflower Spath
49. Wet Thumbs MOP
50. RRC Jaw Dropper
51. CC Pink Highlighter

My updated list of corals :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System update and thoughts:
In the days of social media, reef blogging, videos, live streams, etc, I see exactly how easy it is to fall for trends. I usually prefer systems with NSW parameters, and bacteria driven systems. With that in mind, I pulled UV 2 weeks ago, with thoughts of why, really, why am I running UV, but dosing bacteria? I guess the idea of new strains entering and replacing the bad? So I pulled UV, set skimmer to dry, and thought to myself to continue dosing bacteria daily. While my corals looked great, color, growth, I just can't move past sporadic dinos, cyano patches, and hair, nothing major, but just unsightly.
So, last Saturday, I did a 10 gallon water change, well over due, and decided to NOT dose bacteria. Every day, I have observed some very positive changes. I am seeing more rock, it's looking cleaner by the day. Corraline algae seems to be in bloom, corals unchanged, still looking good, but something is shifting, and I like it. Sunday, a day after water change, I measured 25ppm N03 and 0.12 PO4. So, not my typical levels, but no harm, no foul :)
To date I run some passive carbon, still have 2 liters siporax passive in sump, mesh filter sock rinsed weekly, and a protein skimmer. I feed heavy once per day, and use LRS quarter size, 2 cubes of Hikari mysis, at same time, rarely does the routine fluctuate. I am only dosing KZ Flatworm Stop at this time, nothing else. My big 3 handled by ESV, and salt is RS Blue Bucket.
All of this said, my reef seems to be finding its own balance, something perhaps being missed the whole time...hmmm...

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Perry you are a bad influence! That being said I'm happy that you are because there is a Jaw Dropper coming my way. I suppose I need to make some updates to my build thread and my sps thread.

Awesome!!!
Who was the source?
I got mine from Tim, therman...
Pics my friend, when it comes, or....it didn't happen ;)
Here's my beauty today, from a side angle, it glows under full spectrum, and blues!

20220430_103630.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased mine from Tim as well. I went with the biggest one he had left.
Oh man!!!
I considered that one, but decided for just a slight downsize, lol, you lucky dog!
That one actually has blue trending on a branch, mine has doesn't, but hope it does, eventually :) You will not be disappointed, my coral is 100% what I bought in picture, maybe better, but @therman has crazy good packing skills, corals were showing PE immediately! I also have set for stun, and placed the jd in a very similar region of the tank, that one is just as stunning, but blue :) I will be looking out for updates my friend ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back