Perry's Shallow Water Acro Dominant Build Thread

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build my own setup that is similar to the hybrid models with a Kessil 360x and 2 orphek OR2 bars. Those orphek bars have a lot of punch and really eliminate my shadowing issues.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only foreseeable issue with ATI reflectors is the material that they use to make them will greatly reduce effectiveness if salt sprayed, ATI strongly recommends use of shield with their reflectors. I feel the hybrids offered are not really PAR motivated, more to spread and blend LED'S. I worked closely with the owner of Pacific Sun on many light related topics, they came out with a prototype T5 unit that emitted zero heat, ATI, as great as they are could not compare. The light was also wifi capable through an app. Also, the app showed temperature of the unit, and would automatically enable a massive cooling fan, pretty slick fixture. I am sure it's offered in Europe, but won't find here in the states. From my understanding, the cooler the bulbs, more longevity of bulbs, and possibly better intensity. For this, I will probably run a fan, tilted at the fixture, probably during t5 hours.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light prototype was the Althea from Pacific Sun, which actually made it to production, and is sold for quite reasonable cost. Just a mention for those interested in reading of this light. The prototype I saw was back in 2017, it was a 6x24 watt unit, wish I would have taken it home, had the opportunity to, but didn't have a use at the time.. Dangit! Lol :)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although I'm an ATI supporter, PACsun had some really nice fixtures but they didn't compete price wise and their customer service on sold units was sketchy. That probably led to minimal sales and then the result was pulling out of a market that isn't profitable.

I had a lot of good conversations with Przemek

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I'm an ATI supporter, PACsun had some really nice fixtures but they didn't compete price wise and their customer service on sold units was sketchy. That probably led to minimal sales and then the result was pulling out of a market that isn't profitable.

I had a lot of good conversations with Przemek

Przemek is one amazing dude, unfortunately service, was them having to, in most cases, use remote log in, which is sketchy, in the days of hacking. Also, distributor, which I worked for, didn't help. FWIW, I was supposed to actually be positioned to be US support, working on technical side, bummer how things, above my pedigree panned out. All in all, sad to see US departure. I used to chat with him back and forth all the time, but no longer use FB, and kinda wanted to get out of that light, pun intended ;) As you know, the "live" side of this biz is pretty brutal, but the "dry" side is a whole different beast, and if you aren't a "fanboy ", you don't rub elbows with the real players.
Side note:
I am so close to scratching my hybrid plans, and biting the ATI bullet 6x39 Sunpower.
Cheers BigE, have followed you for quite a long time, just in the shadows, thanks for what you do for our hobby!

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude,
Going to hit you up soon if you are still growing frags!!!
Hope all is well Nate, still remember you buying that 1" acrylic cube off me in the day, that was one heck of a tank!
Cheers!

Hi Perry - been following along, checking on how you and the system are progressing... Things look good despite some relatively minor setbacks. I just went barebottom myself for the long haul.... My commitment can be demonstrated by the 3/4" piece of white starboard i just has custom cut. :)

Either way, the tank is stabilized and growing. you're welcome to anything that i have a frag of already, or anything's that is large enough for me to snip from.

- Be chatting

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so close to scratching my hybrid plans, and biting the ATI bullet 6x39 Sunpower.
Cheers BigE, have followed you for quite a long time, just in the shadows, thanks for what you do for our hobby!
What changed?

I went with the hybrid solution we discussed - 2 x AI Hydra 26HD, 2 x Blue Plus and 2 x Aqua Blue Special. It resolved my spread and shadowing issue. I’m still tinkering, though.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it’s going to look great with the two abs bulbs on there! I love that combo along side some good led fixtures, curious as to how that looks.
So what happened perry, you not a big enough fanboy to hang huh? ;). I hope aqua forest hooked you with all the help you gave them back then. You put a lot of time into helping people from what I remember.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bummer. I always seem to have a bad experience with anything new I buy, so I know the feeling. What bars would you go with your ati? I really like these orpek or2 bars but i feel like they would look funny on an ati.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bummer. I always seem to have a bad experience with anything new I buy, so I know the feeling. What bars would you go with your ati? I really like these orpek or2 bars but i feel like they would look funny on an ati.

Lol, no fan boy these days, and back to just being a humble reefer :) I am happy to have met some great people in the industry. Time can never be re-paid, especially if you are in it for anything other than the satisfaction of helping others :) However, it was overwhelmingly at times, lol.
So, yeah, like totally irritated with Giesemann unit, and by the time I get this light where it needs to be, more importantly should be, I will be right there at the cost of a new ATI unit. I already have a current actnic true lumen bar, will probably buy a basic reefbrite actinic blue strip for other side, they are both slim, and wiil angle inwards towards middle of the tank.
Pretty much same as my 120 gallon Aquaforest SPS tank from a few years back. So....Pretty certain it will work fine :)

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhhh, Geissemann made it here, decided to keep it and go ahead and at least see it setup....
After break out, here is my first, out of the box impression. So the included end plates cut out for power cord does not natch up, you gotta be kidding me!!!
Thank goodness I didn't use screws or anything, just a quick look, and defective straight away. I am 100% returning it, at this point, go with what I know, lol, probably just going 6x39 watt ATI and use supplement led bars. Glad your setup working out for ya!

That’s lame. One thing that has always bothered me a little about some facets of this hobby is the DIY expectation (and it used to be worse, I think). I pay for a piece of equipment with the expectation that it works out of the box and it turns out, you need a new end plate or are asked to modify the new equipment in order for it to function or whatever the case may be. I’ll pay a premium for this stuff to simply work out of the box.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pedoconfuego
Here is exactly how important I am for my deeds with Aquaforest. Who is US distributor for Giesemann? Answer, same as Aquaforest.
I texted a rep I know a week ago = crickets....
Called in for support and to purchase, on my dime, I don't expect wholesaler cost, but for goodness sake, put another 25% for retail margin and sell me what I need to make this work. But what I get, right out the box, not functional without modding/voiding warranty, is simply unacceptable!
Ughh :)
You’ll always be important to us, @Perry

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll always be important to us, @Perry

Now that is very kind of you, I must admit though, regardless of products, I definitely have a nonconventional approach, puts some off, lol, but others can appreciate the quirky style :) Thanks again for your kind words!
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
So back and forth I have gone in the last week trying to decide on Aquatic Life vs. ATI 6 bulb fixture. I have all the LED needed, but something in my gut, despite $561 for Sunpower vs. $280 for hybrid, I decided on ATI. Should be here soon, now the excitement starts all over again!
:)

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
So back and forth I have gone in the last week trying to decide on Aquatic Life vs. ATI 6 bulb fixture. I have all the LED needed, but something in my gut, despite $561 for Sunpower vs. $280 for hybrid, I decided on ATI. Should be here soon, now the excitement starts all over again!
I will be following this closely Perry. I have 2 Gen 4 radions right now but have really been thinking of going back to T5.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be following this closely Perry. I have 2 Gen 4 radions right now but have really been thinking of going back to T5.

Hey Tim,
Already have a current true actinic blue strip and will likely add another to opposite side. This will be all the LED I care to use moving forward. So LED'S are great lights, but I prefer knowing that, other than bulb swaps, I can't really mess around/tinker. LED'S are simply too easy to adjust, and I can't help myself, lol, likely why I have struggled. Putting this to rest, I can now focus on other parts of the tank. I have always loved the flat lighting paired with pastelly colors, not everyone's choice, but my preference indeed. I also picked up Pro Bio S, NP Pro, and Build from Aquaforest. Hmmmmmmmmm.......

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back