Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic!

How's the noise level?

I have a Bubble King Mini collecting dust, but I'm looking for a smaller/small-ish skimmer for a Red Sea Reefer 170 potentially. I'm considering Tunze's DC offering, but I'm curious about the AquaMaxx now that you mention it.
The only issue I had was that my sump partition for skimmer runs at 8" depth. It skimmed at this depth, but made noise due to the outlet being above water level, so it made a splashing noise. I was able to alter and raise the partition level to 9.5, which is best recommended depth, now the outlet is submerged. It runs whisper quiet. Skimming performance seems really good, uses sicce pump, build is ok, will not be able to get rough with it, lol. Super easy to tune. I have used a nano aquamaxx, similar features, super quiet, skimms well. Breaks all the way down for cleaning. Very impressed thus far :)

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I had was that my sump partition for skimmer runs at 8" depth. It skimmed at this depth, but made noise due to the outlet being above water level, so it made a splashing noise. I was able to alter and raise the partition level to 9.5, which is best recommended depth, now the outlet is submerged. It runs whisper quiet. Skimming performance seems really good, uses sicce pump, build is ok, will not be able to get rough with it, lol. Super easy to tune. I have used a nano aquamaxx, similar features, super quiet, skimms well. Breaks all the way down for cleaning. Very impressed thus far :)

Thanks. I'll add it to my list.

Frankly, I was never really mesmerized by build quality in the way a lot of people are (or were back when the fancy $1k skimmers came out).

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'll add it to my list.

Frankly, I was never really mesmerized by build quality in the way a lot of people are (or were back when the fancy $1k skimmers came out).

To me the pump makes the skimmer, and have used Sicce since ATI Bubble Blaster 160, now that dates me, lol. In all honesty a Euroreef, powered by an old Sedra pump kicked butt too. I usually shop for older reliable skimmers, but have used Aquamaxx WS-1, with great success, so I was confident this would be a good skimmer. It does not lose foam head during feeding, even with frozen. That makes me really happy :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
So I wanted to post some thoughts regarding my take on the current setup and what I am convinced is a PO4 limited setup. After participating in some threads, regarding nutrients, and putting my brain to work, I am convinved that this system has always been deprived, at least from what the test kits read. However, I also believe that something in the rocks has likely limited PO4 in the water column, therefore starving corals. It makes sense now. I have had 2 hair outbreaks, and other issues, but each time I cleared the algae, my tank seemed sterile, then I would add corals and try to keep nutrients in check, only to starve them, thus death. I am certain that through water changes, and elbow grease, I can keep algae at bay. I make this determination due to never having to do daily, or every other day swiping of the glass. My personal barometer for PO4 presence in the water column.
In this, and after participating in some other threads, I will do another water change tomorrow, then run the tank without use of dosing. I will accept whatever I get nutrients wise, and feed my 11 fish, skim, passive carbon, water changes, and a small weekly dose of micro bacter7, therefore discontinue c-source dosing, amino, etc. I am yet to puck up corals, but want to run basic upon there arrival, and moving forward, until I am certain they are happy.
Thanks for following, more to come :)

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
So I wanted to post some thoughts regarding my take on the current setup and what I am convinced is a PO4 limited setup. After participating in some threads, regarding nutrients, and putting my brain to work, I am convinved that this system has always been deprived, at least from what the test kits read. However, I also believe that something in the rocks has likely limited PO4 in the water column, therefore starving corals. It makes sense now. I have had 2 hair outbreaks, and other issues, but each time I cleared the algae, my tank seemed sterile, then I would add corals and try to keep nutrients in check, only to starve them, thus death. I am certain that through water changes, and elbow grease, I can keep algae at bay. I make this determination due to never having to do daily, or every other day swiping of the glass. My personal barometer for PO4 presence in the water column.
In this, and after participating in some other threads, I will do another water change tomorrow, then run the tank without use of dosing. I will accept whatever I get nutrients wise, and feed my 11 fish, skim, passive carbon, water changes, and a small weekly dose of micro bacter7, therefore discontinue c-source dosing, amino, etc. I am yet to puck up corals, but want to run basic upon there arrival, and moving forward, until I am certain they are happy.
Thanks for following, more to come :)
I totally agree with that thought Perry. Dry rock seems to be a PO4 sponge and I think it really makes PO4 unstable early on.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test confirmed my suspicion, NO3= 25-50 salifert. PO4= 0.00 Hanna

@drawman a sponge indeed, but rock seems mature, sponges, dusters, etc, but still wanting to grow hair, so likely you are correct sir!

So, now I am thinking of dosing phyto or PO4, and am pretty certain this explains why I have been unsuccessful thus far....

@Chaswood79

Care to take a stab at this?

Thanks all,
I have never had this issue before, but now am conviced of my rock not being real live rock, and seems to confirm what's plaguing my tank.

Cheers

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@drawman a sponge indeed, but rock seems mature, sponges, dusters, etc, but still wanting to grow hair, so likely you are correct sir!

So, now I am thinking of dosing phyto or PO4, and am pretty certain this explains why I have been unsuccessful thus far....

@Chaswood79

Thanks all,
I have never had this issue before, but now am conviced of my rock not being real live rock, and seems to confirm what's plaguing my tank.

Cheers
Yeah it's a tough situation and I'm honestly in a similar boat but with turf algae. I find by dosing PO4 I fuel the turf. I have a LOT of sponges/dusters on the rock too so it visually looks mature.

I think you have the advantage over me with 11 fish to feed. Hopefully continual feeding will help things balance over time. Once I move I'll be loading up with hungry fish :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's a tough situation and I'm honestly in a similar boat but with turf algae. I find by dosing PO4 I fuel the turf. I have a LOT of sponges/dusters on the rock too so it visually looks mature.

I think you have the advantage over me with 11 fish to feed. Hopefully continual feeding will help things balance over time. Once I move I'll be loading up with hungry fish :)

Well it appears that I need to up my feeding, so frozen mysis 2-3 times per day it is, at leat until glass algae forms. Old school but tried and true :)

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Chaswood79

Thanks all,

Cheers
Hmmm
I’ve never had an issue with limited po4 and the majority of my tank is artificial and or dry rock. I dosed phyto for awhile and really didn’t notice any significant coral benefit, so I would recommend dosing the po4 until you can keep a steady detectable reading. Do you have turf algae right now or is it in remission?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm
I’ve never had an issue with limited po4 and the majority of my tank is artificial and or dry rock. I dosed phyto for awhile and really didn’t notice any significant coral benefit, so I would recommend dosing the po4 until you can keep a steady detectable reading. Do you have turf algae right now or is it in remission?

I do have a few patches of hair, and some bubble algae, albeit, most is becoming translucent, appears to be dying. Tons of hermits, 5 emralds, as well as other inverts. FWIW, I am yet to yield a test with detectable PO4 since the beginning, despite having 25-50ppm NO3. Tank looks crystal clear, but I won't be fooled into that deception, lol. I have been using a toothbrush on pumps, overflows, and rocks I can get to daily. Also using a Turkey baster to blast rockwork daily.
Thanks

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a few patches of hair, and some bubble algae, albeit, most is becoming translucent, appears to be dying. Tons of hermits, 5 emralds, as well as other inverts. FWIW, I am yet to yield a test with detectable PO4 since the beginning, despite having 25-50ppm NO3. Tank looks crystal clear, but I won't be fooled into that deception, lol. I have been using a toothbrush on pumps, overflows, and rocks I can get to daily. Also using a Turkey baster to blast rockwork daily.
Thanks
Dosing the po4 should lower your no3 a bit as well

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing the po4 should lower your no3 a bit as well

Ok, I am thinking I may have to go this route. I believe phyto may accomplish same, but I need to research a bit more. Either way, I am going to feed 2 to 3 times daily in the meantime, using PE Mysis and Rods Reef Frenzy. Thanks for your advice and input!
Cheers

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I am thinking I may have to go this route. I believe phyto may accomplish same, but I need to research a bit more. Either way, I am going to feed 2 to 3 times daily in the meantime, using PE Mysis and Rods Reef Frenzy. Thanks for your advice and input!
Cheers
Rods should help with the po4. When mine are getting a little high that’s the first thing I cut back on

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rods should help with the po4. When mine are getting a little high that’s the first thing I cut back on
Yeah, Rods is great stuff. Went to my LFS today, great to get out :) They do their own phyto, so I picked some up. Going to dose 1oz. per day, along side of increased feedings. I am planning on adding 2 more fish soon, probably pair of clowns. That would bump fish count to 13 in a 60g. Thanks again, be well :)

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Rods is great stuff. Went to my LFS today, great to get out :) They do their own phyto, so I picked some up. Going to dose 1oz. per day, along side of increased feedings. I am planning on adding 2 more fish soon, probably pair of clowns. That would bump fish count to 13 in a 60g. Thanks again, be well :)
You too Perry
I’m really pulling for you brother. 13 fish is about what I have in my 50. #noregrets

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I get through a litre of live phyto a week into about 600 litre water volume, your tank will love you for it. :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get through a litre of live phyto a week into about 600 litre water volume, your tank will love you for it. :)
Hey there Najer, thanks for the post, I am willing to do something new/different in order to get my tank on track. I will post my observations in time :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is a good sign :)

20200531_124000.jpg

I believe the extra frozen feedings and phyto dosing are working. Thankfully I don't think po4 dosing will be required, which is awesome! I would rather control nutrients at or down, versus adding. That said, just going to skim, passive gac in a sock, and water changes. Going to go back a bit in phyto to twice per week, and 2 fish feeding per day. Keeping things simple :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then this:

20200531_132359.jpg

Maybe a hair over 25ppm, but down slightly since the rise of PO4, which now tells me quite a bit. The water change should bring both down, but in equal proportions. Also noted glass film required swiping today. All in all, feeling like I am headed on the right track.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then this:

20200531_132359.jpg

Maybe a hair over 25ppm, but down slightly since the rise of PO4, which now tells me quite a bit. The water change should bring both down, but in equal proportions. Also noted glass film required swiping today. All in all, feeling like I am headed on the right track.
Love to see it Perry!

Back