petco purple tang rescue action

Zoot098

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following this
Where did all the crap in the bag come from?
The PETCO in my area is crap, all the fish constantly look horrible
Its a shame.

biggietankslim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aight fellas.

petco usually sells these things for $180 a pop.

i got em for $10 a pop. ich ridden and on their last leg.

i gave them both a 15 minute freshwater dip for the immediate relief.

im setting up a coppered out 40 breeder to treat em. no sand. no lights for this treatment. im actually considering a blackout entirely.

what would YOU do to make it work?

i ask only because i know a ton of you have experiences beyond my own.

thanks all
Hyposalinity is the best!

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so awesome.. I rescued a parrot fish.. Or have been trying to at least.. But not many out there will take the time to try and save fish.. I commend you and love the videos you are posting..:) keep it up.. Thanks and now tagging along:)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Russ265 I follow you about doing peroxide dips to remove trophonts from the fish. But what are you doing to treat the QT itself to prevent reinfection (from the dinospores)? Peroxide in there as well?

Edit: I just watched all the videos. So, FW dip + peroxide bath (for temporary relief), and then placed into a QT with copper (to eradicate the life cycle.) Do I have that right?

Last edited:

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Petco distributer must have gotten a big shipment of purple tangs because a few days ago mine had a couple purple tangs in as well for $200 ea. And of course, covered in ich too.
I get frozen food from there sometimes and as i walk to the freezer i look and see what fish are on death row that day. Its sad.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Part of our hobby is sustaining specimens. This is a pure example

thylocene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried getting the local Petco to let me rescue a couple hippo tangs that were covered in Velvet, but they decided they would rather let them die than discount them to someone with actual QT tanks.
In fairness to the employee, they're technically not allowed to discount live animals and could potentially lose their job if someone higher up found out. Every store is different, its just a matter of how much risk the employees at your store are willing to take with bending the rules.

JJF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Petco distributer must have gotten a big shipment of purple tangs because a few days ago mine had a couple purple tangs in as well for $200 ea. And of course, covered in ich too.
I get frozen food from there sometimes and as i walk to the freezer i look and see what fish are on death row that day. Its sad.
Petco bought Fosters & Smith, Fosters & Smith owned Quality Marine. So, Petco has access to all kinds of livestock. Unfortunately most stores can't keep them alive. There is one in Ft Collins where one of the employee's is a reef guy - much better livestock, but I still would think twice before buying.

Taduga

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Russ265 I fallow you here and it's cool to see that you document each think you do, to share the experience with all of us. I guess some of us lost fish already coz he did not know what to do. Keep it up and I wish the make it ....

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 29.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back