OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Russ265 I follow you about doing peroxide dips to remove trophonts from the fish. But what are you doing to treat the QT itself to prevent reinfection (from the dinospores)? Peroxide in there as well?

Edit: I just watched all the videos. So, FW dip + peroxide bath (for temporary relief), and then placed into a QT with copper (to eradicate the life cycle.) Do I have that right?

if i were to do it again..... i would do fresh water and h2o2 for immediate relief. These tangs can handle the full 15 minute fw bath.

the copper is to kill off the dinospores and cut it's life cycle, yes.
i am also blacking out the tank before work.

as far as h2o2 goes it seems a peroxide level of 50-75ppm is effective in breaking the life cycle as well. the issue here though, is how do you sustain it? seems safer if you "dip" (peroxide salt water) for an hour and then return them to the copper tank.

Last edited:

Bumgrundle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a great story to follow....have all my appendages X'd =) They are looking really good mate. Keep up the good work!

Renee180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread. Will help save a few fish for others in the future too.
Earlier in the trhread someone said Petco had bought out Foster's and Smith? When did this happen?
And if so are they now involved with Divers Den and the Coral Farm at this facility too? That would be bad news if they run it like the Petco stores.

Back to the subject. The only time I had ick was with a newly purchased purple tang, treated with a fw dip, then hypo salinty, and wc in the qt tank everyday. Worked fine and I still have him today, 9 years later.
Seems simple compared to all the meds listed here, but for me it worked.

in this thread it is really nice to learn how everyone is using the meds/methods of dosing in particular and also that the fish are able to survive. Great to hear which ones work and which ones are just too strong for a fish's survival.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread. Will help save a few fish for others in the future too.
Earlier in the trhread someone said Petco had bought out Foster's and Smith? When did this happen?
And if so are they now involved with Divers Den and the Coral Farm at this facility too? That would be bad news if they run it like the Petco stores.

Back to the subject. The only time I had ick was with a newly purchased purple tang, treated with a fw dip, then hypo salinty, and wc in the qt tank everyday. Worked fine and I still have him today, 9 years later.
Seems simple compared to all the meds listed here, but for me it worked.

in this thread it is really nice to learn how everyone is using the meds/methods of dosing in particular and also that the fish are able to survive. Great to hear which ones work and which ones are just too strong for a fish's survival.

the issue is that the treatment escalated to encompass the high probability marine velvet infected the fish.

clsbgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, they're looking good! My petco has about 9 saltwater tanks & 5 of them are always full of "not for sale" sick fish, usually Tangs, it's a shame.:(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank transfer method. 12-days. No harsh meds.

TTM only works on ich, not velvet.

if i were to do it again..... i would do fresh water and h2o2 for immediate relief. These tangs can handle the full 15 minute fw bath.

the copper is to kill off the dinospores and cut it's life cycle, yes.
i am also blacking out the tank before work.

as far as h2o2 goes it seems a peroxide level of 50-75ppm is effective in breaking the life cycle as well. the issue here though, is how do you sustain it? seems safer if you "dip" (peroxide salt water) for an hour and then return them to the copper tank.
Which brand of copper do you use? If this works for you, I may substitute H202 for acriflavine the next time I treat a fish for velvet. Thanks for teaching an old dog a new trick and thanks for the shout out. ;)

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM only works on ich, not velvet.

Which brand of copper do you use? If this works for you, I may substitute H202 for acriflavine the next time I treat a fish for velvet. Thanks for teaching an old dog a new trick and thanks for the shout out. ;)

so in this example the fresh water was purely tap. i did a typical fw dip, no additives because i did not identify it as velvet. There were noticeably ich salt grains on the fish is why i identified it as such. it wasnt until you brought up velvet that i started tweaking the strategy.

Because this could be velvet and ich infestation i tried to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

the h202 bath for 60 minutes was to demonstrate my confidence in the product and that no ill effects will befall a fish using it. the h202 bath was in salt water at 1.025 salinity.

hydrogen peroxide i am very familiar with using and it is known to kill velvet and a number of other parasites.

the quarantine tank is using kordon's copperaid which was easily obtainable at the petco and contained copper sulfate which is what i look for when i purchase a product.

and no worries about the shout out buddy. i defer to your wisdom on the subject and try to mesh it with my successes and failures in the hobby as well. i believe we are on the right track from the look of things.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hydrogen peroxide i am very familiar with using and it is known to kill velvet and a number of other parasites.

I've read about hydrogen peroxide for parasite control, and even know someone who tried using it to eradicate ich in his DT. The problem is it would dissipate before it could eradicate the life cycle, or one time he dosed too high (to compensate for dissipation) and it killed some corals. So, in a weird sort of way CP & H202 have one thing in common: No practical test kit.

But it makes sense for it to be useful as temporary relief in a 1 hr bath solution, the same as formalin & acriflavine. I will look into it more for that purpose.

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I dont think I was house them together on their path to recovery. I would seperate them to lesson aggression and maybe cross contaminating what illnesses they may have. Make sure to have a place for them to hide and also avoid swinging of your water parameters, good luck.

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bumped my qt tank up to 80 degrees to help speed up the ich cycle from what I have read on several blogs. I would also suggest an air stone for your qt. I started qt tank when fish got ich. Unfortunately I compounded my problems by also dealing with a "new tank cycle". I was adding bio additive to help boost, but learned that though cupramine won't kill your bio colonies, it does cause slow growth of any new bio colonies. So to assist, I do everyday, if not every other day water changes (75%) and re-dose cupramine to correct level. Currently my cycle has finished with high ammonia down to 0 now, but my nitrites are high, but those are starting to fall as well...should be close to a full cycle. It has been a lot of extra work, but my fish are about done with qt time this sunday. Once the QT time is done, I will keep the bio wheels from filter wet, and then completely clean the tank once I put fish back in display, refill and then it should be ready for any news fish I should purchase. Plan on dropping a few flakes in the tank to keep the bio filters going at all time. They are staying put until my dt finishes it's fallow period of 77 days...ending around Fathers Day in June. Also read that the cupramine can affect the immune system cause things like HLLE which I have experienced in my emperor angel since being in qt. Garlic should entice them to eat...selcon dripped over quality nori should help their immune system. Good Luck!!! Glad you stepped up to save these guys...not really sure why PetCo is selling saltwater fish. So aggravating!!!!

Last edited:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 24.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back