OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
special thanks to @Randy Holmes-Farley and @FDAWG for the conversion.

if we were to follow the 30
minute regiment of the white papers. and if we had a 5 gallon bucket of salt water.

31ml of 3% peroxide would get us the 50 mg/l or 50ppm

if we were to be more conservative...

16ml to the 5g bucket would get us the 25 ppm.

(roughly)

big shout out to these 2 for doing the conversion for us if we were to apply it.

i include them to make sure im not messing something up, and because i need sanity checks to halt me if im wrong.

so huge thanks from me as i want to make sure this stays scientific. - (as i can)

based on this information i probably netted only 17 ppm for the hour long dip. (approximately)

Last edited:

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried to get fish with velvet at my petco for a steep discount and they look at me like im some cheap ******
20160308_170634.jpg

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried to get fish with velvet at my petco for a steep discount and they look at me like im some cheap ******
20160308_170634.jpg

the local petco didnt try to offload their fish to me because they knew it would die.
they knew i would save them. (or better chance than their tank)

also...
i plan on returning one (or both) of them back. the reason is because im not here to make a buck... i really just want to save the animals.

if i return them... it is with the understanding that i need to treat them again if problems arise.

look. this was never about your local petco. this is about corporate. those little punks irritate the crap out of me and need to have their own little "reef squad" to make sure their animals are right.

im only one person and can only save what i can. but until their rules change, they need to be held accountable.

firing some manager that didnt want those babies to die is not what will solve this. it needs to happen up top.

my .02

again... the fact that i was practically given fish to save their lives should not entice you to go to petco. this was genuinely to save an animal's existence.

i know i sound like a green peace or peta left wing loon, but at the end of the day... the animal doesnt need their life on the line because of policy.

i hope they change

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the local petco didnt try to offload their fish to me because they knew it would die.
they knew i would save them. (or better chance than their tank)

also...
i plan on returning one (or both) of them back. the reason is because im not here to make a buck... i really just want to save the animals.

if i return them... it is with the understanding that i need to treat them again if problems arise.

look. this was never about your local petco. this is about corporate. those little punks irritate the crap out of me and need to have their own little "reef squad" to make sure their animals are right.

im only one person and can only save what i can. but until their rules change, they need to be held accountable.

firing some manager that didnt want those babies to die is not what will solve this. it needs to happen up top.

my .02

again... the fact that i was practically given fish to save their lives should not entice you to go to petco. this was genuinely to save an animal's existence.

i know i sound like a green peace or peta left wing loon, but at the end of the day... the animal doesnt need their life on the line because of policy.

i hope they change
That pic is 2-3 months old. I try to bargain with everyone and it works quite often at smaller places

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160308_170634.jpg

^^FYI; this is velvet. May I use this photo in my velvet thread?

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^FYI; this is velvet. May I use this photo in my velvet thread?

hmmm how can you tell?

i see sand granules which scream ich to me.
just trying to train my eye toward yours.

for reference....

image.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Russ265, it's not just fish that are poorly cared for!!!

There are many members and guests here. What can we do to begin influencing change?

yeah im sorry. im not an activist and id be wary if someone were.
hopefully this thread helps others.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what an amazing venture this is. You are literally helping to pave the way for many to start trying to save more fish and learn how to use this in their own tanks.
I know you said that you wanted to give them back to petco.
Now this may just be my opinion but wouldn't you just be putting them back in velvet and ich infested tanks. I know the fact that you are saving these fish are a huge deal but all that effort will be wasted if they end up back where they started and die.
Maybe you could donate these tangs to a members reef in your area that can sustain them in a healthy and appropriate environment. @Russ265

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said that you wanted to give them back to petco.
Now this may just be my opinion but wouldn't you just be putting them back in velvet and ich infested tanks. I know the fact that you are saving these fish are a huge deal but all that effort will be wasted if they end up back where they started and die.@Russ265

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm how can you tell?

Velvet trophonts (and the correlating dots) are smaller than ich. They range in size from 10-80 micrometers in diameter. They are also perfectly round. Ich trophonts are more oval shaped and range in size from 48 x 27 to 452 x 360 micrometers. Both start off small but then grow in size before dropping off. It has been said that velvet makes a fish look like it has been dusted with a fine powder, whereas ich is more like salt grains.

Below is a pic of a Hippo Tang with ich (top) and then a Purple with velvet (bottom).

img_8198-1-jpg.319976

Dogface Puffer with ich and then a Spiny Box Puffer with velvet

See the difference? I think a lot of confusion arises because many sick fish with visible symptoms have both. :eek:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another good way to tell: Typically, if you can count the white dots its usually ich. However, if they are too numerous to count there's a good chance you are dealing with velvet. ;)

That's a very helpful statement!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back