petco purple tang rescue action

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, good job. Hope they both make it. Looking good so far.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the local petco didnt try to offload their fish to me because they knew it would die.
they knew i would save them. (or better chance than their tank)

also...
i plan on returning one (or both) of them back. the reason is because im not here to make a buck... i really just want to save the animals.

if i return them... it is with the understanding that i need to treat them again if problems arise.

look. this was never about your local petco. this is about corporate. those little punks irritate the crap out of me and need to have their own little "reef squad" to make sure their animals are right.

im only one person and can only save what i can. but until their rules change, they need to be held accountable.

firing some manager that didnt want those babies to die is not what will solve this. it needs to happen up top.

my .02

again... the fact that i was practically given fish to save their lives should not entice you to go to petco. this was genuinely to save an animal's existence.

i know i sound like a green peace or peta left wing loon, but at the end of the day... the animal doesnt need their life on the line because of policy.

i hope they change
Props for your efforts to save the fish. But why give them back to Petco and subject them to the same harsh treatment?

Perhaps a better solution would be to contact your local reef club and find them a suitable home.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Props for your efforts to save the fish. But why give them back to Petco and subject them to the same harsh treatment?

Perhaps a better solution would be to contact your local reef club and find them a suitable home.

this IS a better solution but I dont want anyone to lose their jobs over a couple fish.

also the local one isnt "bad". its the corporate policy that is in question.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 hour update:
everything is the ultimately the same
weaker tang didnt eat this morning still....

ime, not good if their appetite hasnt returned by 72 hours....

Last edited:

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this IS a better solution but I dont want anyone to lose their jobs over a couple fish.

also the local one isnt "bad". its the corporate policy that is in question.
i think I know what you mean about the club

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weaker tang didnt eat this morning still....

Weaker tang looks to have a secondary bacterial infection setting in (fin rot). Might be a good idea to dose an antibiotic such as Kanaplex.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weaker tang looks to have a secondary bacterial infection setting in (fin rot). Might be a good idea to dose an antibiotic such as Kanaplex.

image.jpg

thanks for looking out

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Luck. Please don't bring them back to the place that will probably just let them right back into the condition your trying to save them from. Remember Petcos policy is to treat naturally (Herbal) and we all know that doesn't work. So sending them back will erase everything you are doing for them. Sell them to someone who will care for them properly. Would rather you make a buck and compensate yourself for the money spent on meds. Then to send them back to their death.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Luck. Please don't bring them back to the place that will probably just let them right back into the condition your trying to save them from. Remember Petcos policy is to treat naturally (Herbal) and will all know that doesn't work. So sending them back will erase everything you are doing for them. Sell them to someone who will care for them properly. Would rather you make a buck and compensate yourself for the money spent on meds. Them send them back to their death.

ill put a poll up. i wont sell them though. itll just be given.

some other things are at play though

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill put a poll up. i wont sell them though. itll just be given.

some other things are at play though

In all fairness that is your choice if you want to give them away. By the way i forgot to mention i think it is great that you are taking the time to do this for the fish, Most of us walk thru petco and see these dying fish, comment to our wives, girlfriends, friends and say "look at those poor fish they are dying" but most of us continue walking and move on. So i commend you for the efforts you are putting forward to give these fish a chance. I also don't think you should feel one ounce bad about selling these fish if brought back to good health. You spent money and time doing what your doing. And hell if you give them away, the person receiving them will be one happy camper. Just don't send them back to the place that was setting them up for death.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Petco should get rid of there saltwater department. I keep hearing bad things about Petco. I understand @revhtree met a fellow community member doing the right thing at his local Petco however, seems like the bad outweighs the good. I understand that we always hear more bad than good. But what would happen is; Russ will return the fish, Petco makes good profit, store manager gets bonus, issue never goes away. This support for major chain retailers is hurting local stores. If anything, I would find a mom and pop shop for the tangs. Let those guys make the profit or just give them away. My $.02

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have saved a few fish from them, I will admit.
I know the manager at our local store and he accepts my input.
I also referred him here to R2R
Good diligence my friend Russ keep it up!

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u need a place for one of them ill gladly give it a amazing place to live. Ill even give you what you guve petco for them. That way they can say they sold them and not loose their job but in all reality i prolly wont pay 180 for one since they were sick in petco, if i was id pay half to them and half to you for taking the time and effort to restore theae precious fish back to health

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry guys. today was an "after work outing" so i couldnt get back til now.

unfortunately the one ive been having my doubts about perished when i came home. you just have this gut feeling sometimes based on how the fish behave and their lack of appetite.

the other purple tang is still eating and i believe will pull through. however idk what i would do differently.

ive enclosed the video to show the good with the bad.

just hard to have faith when they hide behind rocks like they want to die and wont eat.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back