OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99.9% will tolerate copper quite well. I recommend copper power and as long as they aren’t actively showing velvet or ich you can ramp it up slowly. You want to shoot for 2.0ppm now.
After you do the freshwater dip, a bath in the API fungus cure (in a separate bucket) is an excellent idea. After they have a little time to recover, (and pending the results of the dip) you can decide on the next course of action...

Do you have copper or CP? Just in case...
After my inquiry about irradicating ich vs controlling it, copper was on my to do list but I haven't gotten it yet as I wasn't planning on any new additions until tonight.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s in your budget I’d strongly recommend the Hanna high range copper tester and at least 1 extra box of reagents. It only comes with 6 but it changes the game with copper.
It may not be in my wife's budget but it's definitely within mine. Besides, she's the one who first stopped at petco and then had the misfortune of telling me about the tangs

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be in my wife's budget but it's definitely within mine. Besides, she's the one who first stopped at petco and then had the misfortune of telling me about the tangs

Well there you go, I guess she can’t complain hahahahahahaha

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dory has tested positive for flukes, I see some mixed in with his/her poop at the bottom of the container. Should I dose prazipro in the water column until my Amazon order gets here?

Yes, Prazipro 1 teaspoon (measured)per 20G for flukes and redose 5-7 days later. Make sure you are aerating the tank heavily.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Prazipro 1 teaspoon (measured)per 20G for flukes and redose 5-7 days later. Make sure you are aerating the tank heavily.
I only have her in a 5 gallon tank so I'll adjust the dose accordingly. I have a sponge filter in there that's been in my sump for a while so hopefully ammonia doesn't get too high (ammonia badges are on my Amazon order). Are the flukes the most pertinent thing to treat for or should I be concentrating on something else first?

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have her in a 5 gallon tank so I'll adjust the dose accordingly. I have a sponge filter in there that's been in my sump for a while so hopefully ammonia doesn't get too high (ammonia badges are on my Amazon order). Are the flukes the most pertinent thing to treat for or should I be concentrating on something else first?
Should I do the 90 minute bath in the fungus cure first?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I do the 90 minute bath in the fungus cure first?

Depends on how the fish look after the FW dip, if they still appear strong then I’d do the bath then put into your DT and dose with Prazi. Flukes are an immediate threat behind ich and velvet, etc. since you don’t have copper yet start treating for flukes after the bath.
Remember with Prazi aerate! Aerate, aerate!!!

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Immediately start treating for internal parasites also. Prazi May suppress appetite so I’d see if they will eat medicated food before dosing.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all advice thus far. Prazi is a good move. Flukes ate them up, very sad. Watch for infections, I think you already have them. Kanaplex metroplex and furan 2 are your friend for this. Good work and good on you!

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how the fish look after the FW dip, if they still appear strong then I’d do the bath then put into your DT and dose with Prazi. Flukes are an immediate threat behind ich and velvet, etc. since you don’t have copper yet start treating for flukes after the bath.
All I can say about the blue tang is that she's not dead, it's so hard to tell when they're stressed. BTW, after the fwd I've found that the the yellow tang also has flukes. I wish I had a larger tank but I entered into this whole debacle understanding that it may cost me some money to save a life or two. I currently have one blue tang in a 55 gallon tank that's piped to a common 20 gallon sump with a 32 gallon biocube. I have a deep sand bed in my refugium and don't have any issue with nitrates as of now. In the 10 minutes it took me to decide if I should try to save these guys I pictured taking them to my lfs if they recovered. For a new problem; is it a bad idea to add them to my dt with my current blue tang or could she possibly kill them until I can find them a new home? Would it be best to keep them in the qt tanks?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say about the blue tang is that she's not dead, it's so hard to tell when they're stressed. BTW, after the fwd I've found that the the yellow tang also has flukes. I wish I had a larger tank but I entered into this whole debacle understanding that it may cost me some money to save a life or two. I currently have one blue tang in a 55 gallon tank that's piped to a common 20 gallon sump with a 32 gallon biocube. I have a deep sand bed in my refugium and don't have any issue with nitrates as of now. In the 10 minutes it took me to decide if I should try to save these guys I pictured taking them to my lfs if they recovered. For a new problem; is it a bad idea to add them to my dt with my current blue tang or could she possibly kill them until I can find them a new home? Would it be best to keep them in the qt tanks?

I would treat them and keep them in QT especially if you are rehoming them. Yes two of the same Tangs in a tank equals trouble.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back