Petco rescue, two tangs

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought another 5 gallon tonight so they are each in their own tank. I have seeded sponge filters in both for now with a 2 port air pump running full tilt. Amazon has the ammonia badges on the way now
Seeded from a tank may not be a big enough boost, I’d source biospira as well.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She could have wrote them off as DOA & given them to you. I've gotten a cple fish from Petco at 50% from the Dept Manager who i knew pretty good before she moved back north. Don't buy from them anymore. Hope you get them to survive.
I was sure she could have done something more but I didn't want to push the issue. She had told me before that her store manager was sort of a **** and one evening, a while back, she even helped me jump start a point of sale rental car I had when mine was in the shop. She really has a good heart and I was more concerned about the fish than money. BTW, I usually don't buy from petco and just window shop there :)

Edit : the word I typed was a euphemism for a German oppressor and not an actual bad word. Not really sure why a word that's politically correct by today's standards would be censored..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His DT is a 55G, I didn’t want to call the Tang police yet so I recommended against two of the same in that small of a tank.
@Mjrenz you will need a much bigger tank for your Tang btw
That's on my list, I'm prepared to rehome if I can't get a larger tank approved by my current spouse...

The Tang was an occupant before I realized what I was doing

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fw dip and Api fungus cure bath is done for both , the blue tang is more responsive now after it. I'm getting ready to spend the night on the couch near the qt tanks to make sure that the cat doesn't decide to have a late night snack until I can get proper lids on the tanks instead of the bucket lids that I have over them now. I'll keep everyone updated and thank you all again for your help!

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the link below on post #3 Humblefish discusses the injection site and that it would be used to reduce swelling on a fish - for edema.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alprazos-salvage-protocol.213599/#post-2445885
I'm happy to say that both tangs made it through the night. I used all the suggestions for the salvage protocol you recommended except for the injection(lower salinity, lower temp, oxygen, and no lights) Should I keep the temperature and salinity low or will the meds be ineffective at a lower temp? If I need to bring them back up how long of a time period should I allow for?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to say that both tangs made it through the night. I used all the suggestions for the salvage protocol you recommended except for the injection(lower salinity, lower temp, oxygen, and no lights) Should I keep the temperature and salinity low or will the meds be ineffective at a lower temp? If I need to bring them back up how long of a time period should I allow for?

What is your S.G at now? You have to go slow raising salinity especially with sick fish. I usually take the last week of QT to do so.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would prime be acceptable in the interim? I remember @ngoodermuth told me it's ok to use if not used with copper but not preferred

Prime won’t build a bio filter, it will detoxify ammonia but you’ll keep having ammonia problems. I would definitely find some biospira, Fritz, Dr Tim’s,etc.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your S.G at now? You have to go slow raising salinity especially with sick fish. I usually take the last week of QT to do so.
I just checked, it was getting late and I didn't drop it as far as I thought I did. It's only down to 1.023 in both tanks. The tanks are down to room temperature right now which is 73

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime won’t build a bio filter, it will detoxify ammonia but you’ll keep having ammonia problems. I would definitely find some biospira, Fritz, Dr Tim’s,etc.
I ordered biospira last night, I have some prime though so I was curious if I can use it until the biospira gets here

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked, it was getting late and I didn't drop it as far as I thought I did. It's only down to 1.023 in both tanks

I would just keep it where it is... it won’t hurt or affect anything at that level. It will help ensure it’s not raising too high with evaporation in the small tanks.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just keep it where it is... it won’t hurt or affect anything at that level. It will help ensure it’s not raising too high with evaporation in the small tanks.
I have a jug of fresh water sitting right next to the tanks, I'm going to stay on top them

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered biospira last night, I have some prime though so I was curious if I can use it until the biospira gets here

Prime can be used safely as long as there is no copper in the tank. Awesome if cant do a wc right away, adding the prime buys a few hours as the water is being made.

I also like to keep methylene blue on hand for a bath if while in qt breathing gets labored. The MB increases hemoglobin production and acts as a antiseptic, and does not have the toxicity worries of a lot other meds. I keep a bucket just for its use as it dyes everything blue.

An idea of how well most fish handle this when ever i breed my fw fish i use a few drops in an egg tumbler to increase hatching rate.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it before I went to bed, 1.75 ml in each tank

If you have ammonia prior to this evening (around the 24 hour mark from your prazi dose) I’d use the prime.

This evening, I would do a 50% water change on both tanks.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud your effort, but what will you do when the store orders more blue tangs and yellow tangs to replace the ones you bought? They will deteriorate to the same condition. Will you buy those also to rescue them?
They generally have pretty healthy fish at that store (for a petco anyways). These fish were already on death's doorstep when they got them in

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I start antibiotics right away after the water change?

I would make sure you have ammonia under control before using abx, ammonia will kill faster than a bacterial infection and abx will have a negative effect on your bio filter.

Caveat might be metroplex bound to food as i have not seen a correlation with metro used this way and ammonia spikes. My opinion anyway.

Back