Petco rescue, two tangs

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I would try to hold off on the antibiotics for now... see how they do with the prazi and some good food. Can always do another bath in a couple of days if you feel they need a little help.

After the second dose of prazi is completed and the biospira has had some time to kick in, can re-evaluate.

Obviously if anything changes significantly in their condition, may have to change plans.

I think the ideal QT temp is going to be around 76-78? I’ve never run mine very low, but I think @HotRocks may have more input there.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped the temp to about 73(room temp) based on the salvage protocol, should I leave it there or bring it back up?

Keep temperature swings low, if increasing or decreasing temperatures do no more than +/- 2 degrees a day. The more stable the environment the fish is in the more functional its own immune system will be. I usually like 75 as the min and 78 as max gives a little wiggle room both directions if something goes awry. Ei the fan in my sump went last night and my tank is reading 81.3. If i had the set point higher this might have pushed me into a dangerous area. Instead i just put a cloud function on my lighting app till a new fan arrives.

73 is ok but say your house temp drops tonight and your heater fails off, your tank is now 65 degrees.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep temperature swings low, if increasing or decreasing temperatures do no more than +/- 2 degrees a day. The more stable the environment the fish is in the more functional its own immune system will be. I usually like 75 as the min and 78 as max gives a little wiggle room both directions if something goes awry. Ei the fan in my sump went last night and my tank is reading 81.3. If i had the set point higher this might have pushed me into a dangerous area. Instead i just put a cloud function on my lighting app till a new fan arrives.

73 is ok but say your house temp drops tonight and your heater fails off, your tank is now 65 degrees.
I run QTs around 76. Lower temperature is better for a QT from an oxygen standpoint. The lower your temperature is the higher your oxygen saturation is (within the acceptable temperature range for the given species). 76 is a good common ground. I do run displays 78-79.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I dropped the temp was because of what was suggested in the salvage protocol. I turned off the heaters and just let it slowly drop down to room temp over night. I'll slowly ramp it back up

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue tang is still hanging in there, she won't eat yet and does appear to have labored breathing. I found a pet store about 45 minutes from my house that had methelyne blue and I'm giving her a 30 minute bath right now. The yellow tang is doing better so far and is eating

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's still a long road ahead but they both already look better than they did yesterday. The blue tang keeps hiding every time I get close to the tank but I've seen her swim a little when she doesn't know I'm looking

20190413_204059.jpg

20190413_204011.jpg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's still a long road ahead but they both already look better than they did yesterday. The blue tang keeps hiding every time I get close to the tank but I've seen her swim a little when she doesn't know I'm looking

20190413_204059.jpg

20190413_204011.jpg

Oh man they look rough. Now you have me wanting to go to Petco and see what’s going on there

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man they look rough. Now you have me wanting to go to Petco and see what’s going on there
All their other fish looked really healthy. They even had a powder brown tang that was doing great. These two were the only ones in bad shape

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about that. I saw a Sun Conure bird once in their and it was in terrible shape. I mean really bad shape.

They have health inspectors and the humane society regularly check on them. I know several ex Petco employees.

I’ve seen plenty of bad fish at local LFSs worse then what these fish look like. It’s a problem with the industry itself not all on Petco.

The local Petco foundation donated $900K to the regional kill free shelter here. They were also one of the first big chains to carry ORA tanks bred fish back in the day before all the LFS jumped on board. No LFS has the capital to do stuff like that.

I’ve seen plenty LFSs here worse than Petco chains. I’ve also see horrible Petco and others that carry SPS and calms. It’s all dependent on how well they are run.

Petco pays their employees better than the LFS. They offer them heath benefits and 401K. Many LFS you are lucky to get
Minimum wage unless you work on the client side doing installs.

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have heather inspectors and the humane society regularly check on them. I know several ex Petco employees.

I’ve seen plenty of bad fish at lox’s LFS worse then what these fish look like. It’s a problem with the industry itself not all on Petco.

The local Petco foundation donated $900K to the regional kill free shelter here. They were also one of the first big chains to carry ORA tanks bred fish back in the day before all the LFS jumped on board. No LFS has the capital to do stuff like that.
Not the one in Calumet City, IL!

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really wouldn’t hurt but it can be stressful so based on if the fish appears strong or not it could be risk vs. reward.
He seems to be surprisingly strong and active for how bad he looks. I'll get the bath ready

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back