OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really pulling for these guys. I commend u for taking this on and for all the super experienced folks that are helping. This site is so cool.
This site is the reason I thought that I would have a chance with them. I knew I could get the best advice here

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so cool! You’re going to be attached to these guys!!! Great job!!! So rewarding when you save a life!
The sad part for me is that my tank isn't big enough for them and a new tank won't be in my budget for a while. I'll have to end up finding them a new home when they're better but at least they'll have a chance at life

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sad part for me is that my tank isn't big enough for them and a new tank won't be in my budget for a while. I'll have to end up finding them a new home when they're better but at least they'll have a chance at life
I’m sorry your tank isn’t big enough that’s a bummer. But so responsible and respectful for you to know what you need to do! Awesome for you to do this. I would take them if I wasn’t in Wisconsin! The blue and yellow actually make a great pair for someone. The only sad part of this whole thing is Petco will order more fish and sell more sick ones. We see the same thing here. I occasionally rescue some from them if I think I can help. We got a tiny foxface 1” there that was covered in ick a year ago. Tolerated copper and is great now. So glad you did this! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry your tank isn’t big enough that’s a bummer. But so responsible and respectful for you to know what you need to do! Awesome for you to do this. I would take them if I wasn’t in Wisconsin! The blue and yellow actually make a great pair for someone. The only sad part of this whole thing is Petco will order more fish and sell more sick ones. We see the same thing here. I occasionally rescue some from them if I think I can help. We got a tiny foxface 1” there that was covered in ick a year ago. Tolerated copper and is great now. So glad you did this! Thanks for sharing.
It's interesting that you say you're in Wisconsin because I may have a very convenient way of getting them to you if they do recover and you can give them a good home. I'm originally from Oshkosh and my friend, who still lives there, is driving down next month to visit. It's possible he may be willing to take them back with him and meet you. I was up there last month and brought some corals and a clam back with me from Just Pets in Appleton.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting that you say you're in Wisconsin because I may have a very convenient way of getting them to you if they do recover and you can give them a good home. I'm originally from Oshkosh and my friend, who still lives there, is driving down next month to visit. It's possible he may be willing to take them back with him and meet you. I was up there last month and brought some corals and a clam back with me from Just Pets in Appleton.

You’re not coming to Florida are you?!?!? Lol

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That bridge can be crossed when they are better.

I am a couple hours North of you, I may be able to work something out with you on at least the yellow when my new tank is up and running.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Immediately start treating for internal parasites also. Prazi May suppress appetite so I’d see if they will eat medicated food before dosing.
I was reading back through this thread to make sure that I wasn't forgetting anything. Since I didn't have anything to medicate food I did do the prazi yesterday and I've done 2 50%water changes already on both tanks. There is some ammonia in with the yellow tang so I have been using prime, one dose yesterday and one today with a 50% booster after the water changes (I only had one cycled sponge filter so I put that in with the blue tang since she was in worse shape and there's no ammonia in her tank). Is the medicated food you referenced above the metro+focus? The biospira, metro, and focus should be here tomorrow

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading back through this thread to make sure that I wasn't forgetting anything. Since I didn't have anything to medicate food I did do the prazi yesterday and I've done 2 50%water changes already on both tanks. There is some ammonia in with the yellow tang so I have been using prime, one dose yesterday and one today with a 50% booster after the water changes (I only had one cycled sponge filter so I put that in with the blue tang since she was in worse shape and there's no ammonia in her tank). Is the medicated food you referenced above the metro+focus? The biospira, metro, and focus should be here tomorrow

Yes, Metro+Focus(1:1 ratio)+food and a drop of garlic if needed to mask the taste of meds. Feed this for 14 days.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s cool you’re from Wisconsin! We live just north of Green Bay! My husband works in Appleton so we do use Just Pets but our best store is Aquamarine Imports in Appleton. We love the owner. I think it would be a long drive for the little fish but if no one closer to you can help I would try to help find a home here. I do know a few reefers with large tanks. I do not have a stable system now for them unfortunately my 300 gal is getting copper. :( it’s a fish only and the fish are too big to quarantine. And I have a yellow and blue hippo in my 300gal reef. If 4fordfamily thinks I could put yours in with my blue and yellow I would try. But I wouldn’t want anything to hapeen with all they’ve been through. Hopefully someone close to you could take them so their transition is not stressful! It’s always nice to meet another WI person! And I’m so glad you saved the fish! Let me know how it goes. Could you get a used tank on Craig’s list? We just sold a 180 for 700$ I know that’s alot but a good price for the tank. We got our 300 FO tank in Chicago off craigslist for a really good price too. But I don’t know your circumstances I’m just thinking out loud. Your doing such a great job. Keep us posted.

Kindel

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s cool you’re from Wisconsin! We live just north of Green Bay! My husband works in Appleton so we do use Just Pets but our best store is Aquamarine Imports in Appleton. We love the owner. I think it would be a long drive for the little fish but if no one closer to you can help I would try to help find a home here. I do know a few reefers with large tanks. I do not have a stable system now for them unfortunately my 300 gal is getting copper. :( it’s a fish only and the fish are too big to quarantine. And I have a yellow and blue hippo in my 300gal reef. If 4fordfamily thinks I could put yours in with my blue and yellow I would try. But I wouldn’t want anything to hapeen with all they’ve been through. Hopefully someone close to you could take them so their transition is not stressful! It’s always nice to meet another WI person! And I’m so glad you saved the fish! Let me know how it goes. Could you get a used tank on Craig’s list? We just sold a 180 for 700$ I know that’s alot but a good price for the tank. We got our 300 FO tank in Chicago off craigslist for a really good price too. But I don’t know your circumstances I’m just thinking out loud. Your doing such a great job. Keep us posted.

Kindel
Did you get the dr Timms or other bacteria source? Petco does sell the bacteria u could add to the tanks will help stabilize for the ammonia.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should charge Petco with animal abuse.
+1 FW Dip
Good on you for trying to help them.

They should! I still haven’t seen a petco that really really cares, the petco In union square here in NYC is decent but still it’s a dying destination for most of its fish

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should charge Petco with animal abuse.
+1 FW Dip
Good on you for trying to help them.

They should! I still haven’t seen a petco that really really cares, the petco In union square here in NYC is decent but still it’s a dying destination for most of its fish

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the dr Timms or other bacteria source? Petco does sell the bacteria u could add to the tanks will help stabilize for the ammonia.
I ordered biospira from Amazon, it should be here today so I've been monitoring closely for now.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're still on the right path, both looking better and eating

IMG950826.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back