OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow didn't realize this was 1400 posts in. Lol that on me for searching by new posts lol sorry hope all is well
No problem and thank you for the reply! She is still in qt and has been through more treatments than I can remember. Unfortunately I lost the yellow tang but the blue is doing well. Her latest treatment was with ciprofloxacin that I believe has finally knocked out the bacterial infection (s). I posted the link to my build thread for her new home above and have been updating her progress there

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a vlamingi tang which had gotten a bacterial infection when I first got him which turned into total fin rot, he had no tail fin just a stump and his side fins were almost gone. He sway like a fish flopping out of water. He refused to let me catch him and would hide behind the rocks. I figured him for a goner. But I kept soaking his food in the medication (cant remember right now what it was) well that was 3 years ago. Hes now the king of the tank and a beautiful peronal fish. Hes got some scars but his tail fin now has streamers and hes got some character. Lol as you can see in the pic hes alive and well ... so keep doing what your doing and you'll have an awesome fish

20190313_193012.jpg

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mjrenz

Just finished binge reading this thread. Started yesterday evening. What a roller coaster ride! Sorry about Mr. yellow tang and so sorry to hear of all the losses from your DT.

I absolutely love the 4x2 120 gallon tanks. Good progress on the build for baby Dory. Really hope you get this fluke thing under control and figure out where the cross contamination is happening.

Could little hands be contributing here? You mention kids and it’s just something that I thought to consider.

I’m pulling for you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I read regularly of others who rescue Petco fish and get more issues than they bargained for. At minimum a QT TANK is a necessity and the reduced cost of fish and added medication come close to the price of a healthy fish elsewhere.
As long as petco can sell these specimens At any cost, we leave them with no reason to step up and properly maintain their displays. I realize we hate to see Fish perish or suffer but petco needs to endure losses before assuming responsibility and change their behaviors

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread reminds me of the starfish story:
One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?” The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.” “Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”
After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…” I made a difference for that one.”

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply! just to update everyone; baby Dory is still doing well and should be in her new home within a few days. Everything seems to be under control and her copper treatment went well. I'll post some pics as soon as she's finally out of qt

Last edited:

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply! just to update everyone; baby Dory is still doing well and should be in her new home within a few days. Everything seems to be under control and her copper treatment went well. I'll post some pics as soon as she's finally out of qt
I'm so exited.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one i rescued from petco... And yes i paid for it and that doesnt help... but it did help this guys poor life.. riddled eith ich and their tabks have an ebola like form of ich ive personally experienced it until i got rid of it.. This guy is on day 4 of tank transfer

20191002_184433.jpg

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one i rescued from petco... And yes i paid for it and that doesnt help... but it did help this guys poor life.. riddled eith ich and their tabks have an ebola like form of ich ive personally experienced it until i got rid of it.. This guy is on day 4 of tank transfer

20191002_184433.jpg
It looks like you got to him pretty early on considering what a lot of petco's fish look like. You might want to consider a freshwater dip to check for flukes

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you got to him pretty early on considering what a lot of petco's fish look like. You might want to consider a freshwater dip to check for flukes

Already did that the minute i got him outs the bag.

This was another i wanted to save but he was soo far gone.. alot of their fish are skinny they dont feed them enough.. i know it doesnt look it in this pic but in person he was paper thin and barely moving
20190930_172234.jpg

Back