Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s everyone doing?
Thank you for checking in, Baby Dory is still doing well but unfortunately I've lost a couple more of my other fish to bacterial infections. All the remaining fish are still in antibiotics so I'm hopeful that I don't lose any more

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for checking in, Baby Dory is still doing well but unfortunately I've lost a couple more of my other fish to bacterial infections. All the remaining fish are still in antibiotics so I'm hopeful that I don't lose any more

I was talking to humble the other day about a “new” antibiotic he’s listed on his site. It seems like it may be a bit of a PITA to administer (Done as a 5-hour bath, daily, for 7-10 days) but he says it works faster and more effective than any antibiotics we use currently.

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/antibiotics.15/

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to humble the other day about a “new” antibiotic he’s listed on his site. It seems like it may be a bit of a PITA to administer (Done as a 5-hour bath, daily, for 7-10 days) but he says it works faster and more effective than any antibiotics we use currently.

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/antibiotics.15/
I'll check into that, thank you! I just found that I lost another fish, I only have 4 of my original fish left now

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just encountered this thread, and following. I just set up a new tank a few months ago, once thats stable and running well, I'm inspired to become a fish rescuer too... I hate seeing them suffer at Petco. Sadly I don't think a mass boycott of Petco will stop them from trying to sell these fish, doubtful they will even notice financially. So maybe we can make a difference by curing at least some of them.
Good work man!

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just encountered this thread, and following. I just set up a new tank a few months ago, once thats stable and running well, I'm inspired to become a fish rescuer too... I hate seeing them suffer at Petco. Sadly I don't think a mass boycott of Petco will stop them from trying to sell these fish, doubtful they will even notice financially. So maybe we can make a difference by curing at least some of them.
Good work man!
Thank you!

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my customers is a vet and I just talked to her (unfortunately she doesn't treat fish at all). She told me the closest human drug to Enrofloxacin is cipro, any thoughts about using this @ngoodermuth @tdlawdo? I have another fish that doesn't look like he's going to make it much longer

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my customers is a vet and I just talked to her (unfortunately she doesn't treat fish at all). She told me the closest human drug to Enrofloxacin is cipro, any thoughts about using this @ngoodermuth @tdlawdo? I have another fish that doesn't look like he's going to make it much longer

Enrofloxacin is a derivative of Cipro, and both carry the same dangers of using continuously in QT due to the fact they will destroy any working bio-filter, but both are more effective according to Humblefish, than the antibiotics we use currently.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enrofloxacin is a derivative of Cipro, and both carry the same dangers of using continuously in QT due to the fact they will destroy any working bio-filter, but both are more effective according to Humblefish, than the antibiotics we use currently.
Any idea if cipro could be administered in a 5hr bath like the enrofloxacin?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea if cipro could be administered in a 5hr bath like the enrofloxacin?

He said it would be safer, although I’ve used Cipro to treat anemones (Humble mentioned before the dosage is the same for fish) and did so in a sterile 10g tank with daily water-changes and didn’t have any issues with ammonia.

But, obviously multiple fish will produce more waste than a single nem.

I was able to get Cipro right from my LFS:
3462183a597c1a0a6219c75390535268.jpg

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said it would be safer, although I’ve used Cipro to treat anemones (Humble mentioned before the dosage is the same for fish) and did so in a sterile 10g tank with daily water-changes and didn’t have any issues with ammonia.

But, obviously multiple fish will produce more waste than a single nem.

I was able to get Cipro right from my LFS:
3462183a597c1a0a6219c75390535268.jpg
I don't think I'll be able to find that locally here, the only chance I think I'd have of getting it quickly is from a pharmacy.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth, I have 250mg tabs of Cipro now but unfortunately it wasn't in time to save my male clown. I only have baby Dory (who's doing fine btw in a separate tank), my other blue hippo, six line wrasse, and damsel left. The remaining fish are looking ok for now but I'm not convinced that they are ok since all the other fish have died and most had obvious bacterial infections. What dosage should I use? Should I do the bath or just dose the qt and use prime and water changes to combat ammonia? I've already taken them out of copper in hopes that their immune systems could recover some.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally picked up the new 120 this weekend and just wanted to share my progress so far. I'll start a build thread on it when I get a little further along. This upgrade wouldn't have been possible for a long time if it wasn't for everyone here
@ckalupa @tdlawdo @Dolelo96 @JBKReef @Robb1414 @Seadoc @Mastiffsrule @SDK @Cohibaman @ngoodermuth @Frtdrmrose7 @scriptmonkey @seaplane @RtomKinMad @BestMomEver @bluprntguy. If there's anyone I've forgotten please let me know and I apologize in advance. I don't think Baby Dory has liked the noise I've been making by building her new home but it will all be worth it in the end.

@revhtree, the people I've tagged above deserve some recognition for making this happen!

20190616_144109.jpg

20190622_164434.jpg

20190622_171641.jpg

20190622_215730.jpg

20190623_194740.jpg

20190623_224316.jpg

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back