Petco rescue, two tangs

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped by petco and couldn't let these two fish die without a fighting chance, from all the reading I've done on here it looks to me like they have advanced HLLE. My question is; should I treat for possible bacterial infections or just use vitamins, nutritious foods, and frequent water changes while in qt? @Frtdrmrose7 @HotRocks @ngoodermuth @4FordFamily

20190412_183504.jpg

20190412_183520.jpg

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think flukes are extremely likely, I’d start with a 5-minute freshwater dip and go from there...
I almost did that but decided to acclimate them and get into the qt tanks, then ask you guys to make sure I was doing the right thing

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow tang is swimming and acting fairly normal, the blue tang was swimming at the store but, for now, she's still alive. The manager told me that she wished petco would let her do more but their company won't let them use any of the proven treatments

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have prazipro, api triple sulfa, nori, and api fungus cure in my "fish cabinet." Let me know what else I need to order from Amazon besides the metro and focus

After you do the freshwater dip, a bath in the API fungus cure (in a separate bucket) is an excellent idea. After they have a little time to recover, (and pending the results of the dip) you can decide on the next course of action...

Do you have copper or CP? Just in case...

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you do the freshwater dip, a bath in the API fungus cure (in a separate bucket) is an excellent idea. After they have a little time to recover, (and pending the results of the dip) you can decide on the next course of action...

Do you have copper or CP? Just in case...
I don't have any copper, after reading about tangs and copper sensitivity I was concerned that it may kill them in the condition they're in now

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99.9% will tolerate copper quite well. I recommend copper power and as long as they aren’t actively showing velvet or ich you can ramp it up slowly. You want to shoot for 2.0ppm now.

I don't have any copper, after reading about tangs and copper sensitivity I was concerned that it may kill them in the condition they're in now

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99.9% will tolerate copper quite well. I recommend copper power and as long as they aren’t actively showing velvet or ich you can ramp it up slowly. You want to shoot for 2.0ppm now.
I read that post about the 2ppm as soon as I woke up this morning

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that post about the 2ppm as soon as I woke up this morning

If it’s in your budget I’d strongly recommend the Hanna high range copper tester and at least 1 extra box of reagents. It only comes with 6 but it changes the game with copper.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you are going to place an order, I would get some just in case. Or try to track down some CP.

FWIW, I’ve treated a few tangs in copper successfully. Not as many as some folks here, @4FordFamily, lol but I’ve never really had serious issues with them in copper. But, I’m pretty slow in bringing my levels up so that probably helps.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back