"Petco rescue" unsuccessful

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate me all you want, but I fell in love with a juvenile heniochus butterfly at my local Petco struggling for life. It looked like a mild case of ich, torn fins and the streamer was half missing. Despite having all these mostly unsellable conditions, I had the meds at home, such as Ichx, general cure, and melafix, so I wanted to see if I could nurse it back to health. 45 dollars wasn't such a bad deal either I've seen steeper prices so I gave it a shot. Unfortunately in day 3 of treatment it didn't pull through. I have come to the conclusion these "petco rescues" are not worth it and the less we support the more they get the message they need to actually put the work into making these creatures longer-lived and marketable through proper in store care instead of relying on customers to clean up after their lack of persistence because the employees have the mindset of "they know what they're doing so we've done our job" . Any thoughts?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate me all you want, but I fell in love with a juvenile heniochus butterfly at my local Petco struggling for life. It looked like a mild case of ich, torn fins and the streamer was half missing. Despite having all these mostly unsellable conditions, I had the meds at home, such as Ichx, general cure, and melafix, so I wanted to see if I could nurse it back to health. 45 dollars wasn't such a bad deal either I've seen steeper prices so I gave it a shot. Unfortunately in day 3 of treatment it didn't pull through. I have come to the conclusion these "petco rescues" are not worth it and the less we support the more they get the message they need to actually put the work into making these creatures longer-lived and marketable through proper in store care instead of relying on customers to clean up after their lack of persistence because the employees have the mindset of "they know what they're doing so we've done our job" . Any thoughts?
I've done the same thing trying to rescue a Pakistan Butterfly... beautiful fish but it was in bad shape and ended up not making it...I had a feeling it wouldn't make it but I wanted to try anyway cause I knew my efforts to save it would be greater than that of the particular shop's (not a Petco though)

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3 I visit in my area, all have managers that know what they are doing. The anks are all healthy, livestock is mostly healthy too.

Since each petco is staffed by different people(some have no clue what they are doing obviously), some care, and others not so much.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back