"Petco rescue" unsuccessful

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2021
Messages
98
Reaction score
21
Location
Georgetown
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate me all you want, but I fell in love with a juvenile heniochus butterfly at my local Petco struggling for life. It looked like a mild case of ich, torn fins and the streamer was half missing. Despite having all these mostly unsellable conditions, I had the meds at home, such as Ichx, general cure, and melafix, so I wanted to see if I could nurse it back to health. 45 dollars wasn't such a bad deal either I've seen steeper prices so I gave it a shot. Unfortunately in day 3 of treatment it didn't pull through. I have come to the conclusion these "petco rescues" are not worth it and the less we support the more they get the message they need to actually put the work into making these creatures longer-lived and marketable through proper in store care instead of relying on customers to clean up after their lack of persistence because the employees have the mindset of "they know what they're doing so we've done our job" . Any thoughts?
 
Hate me all you want, but I fell in love with a juvenile heniochus butterfly at my local Petco struggling for life. It looked like a mild case of ich, torn fins and the streamer was half missing. Despite having all these mostly unsellable conditions, I had the meds at home, such as Ichx, general cure, and melafix, so I wanted to see if I could nurse it back to health. 45 dollars wasn't such a bad deal either I've seen steeper prices so I gave it a shot. Unfortunately in day 3 of treatment it didn't pull through. I have come to the conclusion these "petco rescues" are not worth it and the less we support the more they get the message they need to actually put the work into making these creatures longer-lived and marketable through proper in store care instead of relying on customers to clean up after their lack of persistence because the employees have the mindset of "they know what they're doing so we've done our job" . Any thoughts?
I've done the same thing trying to rescue a Pakistan Butterfly... beautiful fish but it was in bad shape and ended up not making it...I had a feeling it wouldn't make it but I wanted to try anyway cause I knew my efforts to save it would be greater than that of the particular shop's (not a Petco though)
 
Last edited:
The 3 I visit in my area, all have managers that know what they are doing. The anks are all healthy, livestock is mostly healthy too.

Since each petco is staffed by different people(some have no clue what they are doing obviously), some care, and others not so much.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new