Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH And The Reef Aquarium

r2r.jpg

For many aquarists, pH is not something that they have much experience with aside from their aquarium. For many, pH is almost a black box measurement: something to be considered, but whose physical meaning makes little sense to them. This article will describe pH in an intuitive way (as opposed to a more rigorous, mathematical way that I have used in previous articles). While plenty of chemical...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason2.5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Day Randy

Absolutely love your articles the help me so much thank you.

I got a bit confused with where you start talking about how to reduce high ph by more aeration... “The most benign way to reduce high pH is to aerate the water more.”

Am I correct if you ment aeration with Co2 so that it can turn into carbonic acid?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi randy, great article as usual :)

i see the one study on ph and corals involves porites. Was this study also conducted with other corals. I only ask as porites biologically is a little different than many hard corals; where it is able to maintain an internal ph higher than the surrounding waters. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160804135434.htm

Do the same observations over the studied ph levels occur with acropora or pocilopora that make up the bulk of normal seawater ph reefs?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Day Randy

Absolutely love your articles the help me so much thank you.

I got a bit confused with where you start talking about how to reduce high ph by more aeration... “The most benign way to reduce high pH is to aerate the water more.”

Am I correct if you ment aeration with Co2 so that it can turn into carbonic acid?

I meant with normal air that contains at least a normal, if not elevated amount of CO2. The pH will drop back to normal levels for the alkalinity.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi randy, great article as usual :)

i see the one study on ph and corals involves porites. Was this study also conducted with other corals. I only ask as porites biologically is a little different than many hard corals; where it is able to maintain an internal ph higher than the surrounding waters. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160804135434.htm

Do the same observations over the studied ph levels occur with acropora or pocilopora that make up the bulk of normal seawater ph reefs?

I wrote this article a long time ago and at theat time I mentioned all studies I was aware of. Since that time there have been more studies with more corals and more complicated analyses, such as the pH minimum vs the average etc. I think the sum of all of these studies suggests that corals can calcify faster at higher pH, but perhaps to pH does not need to be higher 24/7. I do not recall which exact species have been studied.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your article, you state that aeration of an aquariums water outside with outside air to determine if high Co2 is a cause, that we need to watch out for a change in temperature of 5C as it can lower ph. How is this?

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your article, you state that aeration of an aquariums water outside with outside air to determine if high Co2 is a cause, that we need to watch out for a change in temperature of 5C as it can lower ph. How is this?
Hi Cory, I believe this is in relation to the amount of dissolved oxygen changes with temperature. As temperature increases, dissolved O2 typically drops. As weather permits in Vegas, opening windows helps with the Co2, however temp can rise fast. Its a juggling act for sure

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back